New iPad 2 or iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scott2345, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Scott2345 macrumors regular

I can get a brand new iPad 2 16gb or a ipad mini, I can get the ipad 2 at 400$ considering the rumors are true and the iPad mini 16gb will be 350 plus tax. So we're just talking about a couple more bucks.

I'm back and fourth about both. It will mainly be used just in my house for surfing the web and apps for myself and my kids no music and maybe a couple pictures.

2. seajewel macrumors 6502

Hard to tell without actual specs, pricing. iPad2 might not even be available new any more after this. That said I think for kids the mini might be a better size.

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I would say the mini because of the size/weight difference for the kids.

4. Scott2345 thread starter macrumors regular

5. timcullis macrumors member

Agreed, I see a refresh of the new iPad to give it a Lightning connector, and the iPad mini taking the iPad 2's place.

Then the iPhone 5, the new iPods and the iPad and iPad mini will all feature Lightning.

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

It's possible, but I think this is unlikely. Usually existing stock starts drying up in the retail channels when they replace a model. Even if they do replace the iPad2, you'll still be able to buy existing stock because it hasn't dried up.

And even if you miss the boat on that, refurbs will be available for months after. All Apple refurbs for their portables include a new case, new battery, new packaging, and full-length warranty.

7. Scott2345 thread starter macrumors regular

Still going back and fourth on this. Looking at it, it's hard to pass up on the larger screen just for a couple bucks. Can't wait to see the official specs. I assume the mini will have the same screen as the iPad 2.

8. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

Yeah but if you buy the large iPad, you could just as well add a little bit more and buy the retina awesomeness that is the iPad 3. I'd feel as if I had missed something if I bought the iPad 2 now...

9. maceleven macrumors 6502

iPad mini AT&T

im buying a iPad mini with cellular service hopefully , i also hope it has retina display . :apple:

10. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I would pick the iPad mini over the iPad 2 if the difference is only $50 and smaller size. If you look deeper you're getting a $20 cable vs a connector that will not be in any newly released product in 2013 and combined.

11. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

I'd say mini. I'd never buy an Apple product that isn't part of the latest line-up, but that's just me. The iPad 2 doesn't even have all iOS 6 features, and I don't even think it will get iOS 7.

12. token787 macrumors regular

token787

Wait until mini is released and compare both, or go now and look at iPad 2 and then when mini is released compare and go from there. I'm sure Apple will have plenty of refurbished iPad 2's.

13. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

The only feature it doest have is siri. And im pretty sure it will get iOS 7.

14. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

The only iOS 6 feature the iPad 2 doesnt have is Siri, its equally likely that the shrunk iPad 2 we are calling the iPad Mini wont have it either, and given the past history of the iOS devices saying the iPad 2 won't run iOS 7 is just wrong, and all would appreciate you not saying that.

15. urkel macrumors 68030

It seems very unlikely that Apple would omit Siri in any of their new devices.

Anyway, i sold my iPad 2 on Amazon already so obviously my vote is for the Mini. I want to actually take my iPad Mini outdoors.

16. Bez59 macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat.

Decided i was going to get a mini then decided i want a bigger screen so i might as well get an iPad 2 then thought i could just spend a bit more and get an iPad 3 for the retina.

I even considered a 1st gen to begin with.

I am going to wait till I have had a play with a mini before I decide.

17. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

How can you be going back and forth on this decision?

No specs, design or pricing and you don't know which to buy, save yourself the headache and wait for the actual thing to get announced, you only have 5 days to go.

Go enjoy the weekend worry free, stress about this life altering decision on Tuesday.

18. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

This is largely the same boat I'm in. I'd be surprised if the iPad Mini doesn't take the iPad 2 spot. I'm tempted by the larger screen because I imagine the Mini and the 2 will be similarly priced (that's an assumption though) and at that point, the retina is tangible enough.

19. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

Since Apple says that the iPad 2 doesn't have Siri because of its processor, I doubt the iPad Mini running the same processor will have it, why do you think otherwise?

20. riveting macrumors 6502

I think it is because the mic, not the processor, they can easily improve it on ipad mini

21. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

I think its because they want to sell new devices because before they bought Siri it ran on much less powerful devices. But the official Apple reason is that Siri only works on devices with the Audience part embedded in the processor SOC and they kind of gloss over don't the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2 have the same processor. It could be the mic pickup is bad, but that shouldnt impact anyone who has a headset. They may fix it for the mini whether its a silicon, firmware or mic issue, but not sure I would bet on it at this time. Honestly, hitting a good price and not selling an 8 GB unit are much more important to Apple hitting this out of the park then Siri in my opinion.

22. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

I adore the Retina iPad, it's amazing and totally worth the upgrade for most people... but it IS heavier and I know a lot of kids struggle a little with the latest iPad. If an average consumer was considering the latest iPad or the iPad 2, I'd tell them to the get the newest one unless reading really wasn't a big deal to them (browsing websites and reading ebooks is so much better with retina).

But for the kids, and the choice being between the iPad 2 and iPad mini where weight has already been pointed out as an issue, the new iPad wouldn't be worth it in my opinion.

23. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I literally just bought an iPad 2 from best buy today price matched from microcenters $359.

It's the iPad 2,4 32nm. Battery life is most important to me for a device like this, even though the retina screen is pretty cool, it's not enough to make me want to drop so much more.

I'm hoping after the iPad mini gets announced the price of the iPad 2 goes down even further so I can get a price adjustment!

24. irDigital0l Guest

I would say mini because its suppose to have a better display than the iPad 2.

tbh the iPad mini might replace the iPad 2...

25. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Aside the fact that we don't know the specs yet, it also depends on what you prefer.
    I can't say yet because I haven't seen it, but I think I'd rather buy a 8" iPad than a 10" one.

Also, the price difference between iPad 2 and iPad 3 is like 50$ so to me, there's no point in buying the iPad 2.