All iPads New iPad 4: Upgrade to iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cross09, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Cross09 macrumors newbie

So I just ordered a new iPad 4 64gb cellular from the MacMall deal. I do not currently own a iPad but I do have an iPhone 5 currently running iOS7.

From browsing through the forums here, there seems to be a lot of hate on iOS7 and was wondering is it worse on the iPad than it is on the iPhone? I do not seem to have any issues with it on my phone (besides the occasional restart).

Just wondering what are the benefits/disadvantages of not going to iOS7?

Thanks everyone!

2. loganfrye macrumors newbie

loganfrye

:) Well if you like the 'looks' of ios 7 more than ios 6 then it probably shouldn't be a problem to upgrade. Also, the ipad 4 is really the same speed on ios 7. There is no performance differences and it contains all the transparencies and graphics of ios 7 like the ipad air, unlike the ipad 2 which is basically locked on increase contrasts

To me, it's usually the design that I would care about, and I love ios 7. But that's up to you.

One disadvantage of not upgrading is that a lot of apps on the App Store require ios 7 now.

:p I really can't think of any disadvantages as to upgrading but if for any reason you want to downgrade back to ios 6, you should probably save your SHSH blobs now for ios 6. Lol, I won't/can't explain the reason for that, but you could probably do research on how to save them before upgrading just in case you don't like ios 7. :)

3. RebornProphet Suspended

On iOS 7.1 the iPad 4 is as smooth UI wise as the iPad air. There is zero difference in the speed or smoothness of the transitions.

Running 7.1 beta 4 and it's wonderful on my 4.

4. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

I would seriously stick with ios6 until 7.1 comes out... Then upgrade.

iOS 7 isn't optimized for iPad.

5. RebornProphet Suspended

Spot on. When 7.1 is out, update away. For now it all depends if he wants the new look and can put up with the bugs for another month or so.

6. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

I'd say update :)
    Been running my iPad4 on iOS7 since iOS7 launch and I must say the latest official update, iOS7.0.4 solved most of not all issues that existed in the earlier builds of iOS7, thoroughly enjoying my iPad4 on iOS7.0.4 so far. :)

7. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

if you only like having 9 apps in one page of folders then you can upgrade. that still pisses me off so much.

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I'd certainly recommend upgrading (now, or when 7.1 comes along). I was a bit wary from reading the reviews/comments; but I love most of the changes - especially the control centre and app switcher.

The only negatives: I preferred the old way of switching browser tabs, the new one isn't as clear what's on each page, IMO. The transparency sometimes is a bit OTT - for instance in the SIM unlock screen: it's black with transparent buttons so if you have a dark background the buttons are hard to see.

I probably am seeing more apps quitting, which is the one big concern. In spite of that, it's still worth it.

9. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

i'd stay on ios6, much more enjoyable than ios7

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Stick with iOS 6 for now like everyone said especially with Safari always crashes if you can't stand it. :apple:

11. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

12. Thecool111 macrumors newbie

My ipad 4 handles ios 7 well, I upgraded to the Ipad Air and on safari it seems to lock up more than the 4. I would certainly recommend going to ios 7. :)

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

I updated my iPad 2 and I do like iOS 7 a lot. I also like the pre iOS 7 look as well. I know my iPad 3 would run sluggish on iOS 7 so it's currently running iOS 5. If you have plans to update anyway there isn't a real reason not to at this point. There are a lot of things to like about iOS 7 but it needed to bake a little longer in the oven. Right now in it's current form it's unpolished but it's a pretty OS. And I was one that swore I wouldn't upgrade to 7. :D

14. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

I too have an iPad 4 coming in tomorrow (128GB iPad 4 Wi-Fi for $519, eBay Daily Deal). All I want to know is does the iPad 4 running iOS 7 have the same problems with Safari crashing/refreshing that the iPad Air/Retina iPad mini have?

I sold my iPad Air because I couldn't take the Safari junkyness anymore.

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Everyone has their own opinions on this but I feel iOS 7 has enough interesting features to make it worthwhile. It's not perfect but it's good enough. And with an update coming right around the corner it will only get better.

The safari issue certainly needs to be sorted but it's only affecting a small number of people and certain websites.

16. identity macrumors 6502

That's why jailbreaks exist.

17. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

The Safari crashes are related to software bugs in iOS 7 that only apply to devices with the A7 processor, so your iPad 4 will be much better in that regard. iOS 7.1 will fix the crashes though (Beta 4 is fantastic on my Air), so you didn't need to sell your iPad Air to begin with. But the iPad 4 is still a great device, and it sounds like you got an awesome deal on it. So enjoy!

18. RGC1981 macrumors member

I have no issues with iOS 7 on my iPad 4. I use it everyday.:D

19. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I would disagree. My iPad 2 crashes a lot now with ios7. Safaru crashed maybe two times in a year on ios5/6. But it has crashed at least every other day in safari since upgrading to ios7. Other apps crash more in ios7 as well.

So I would whole hearted disagree with you. That is why I say to NOT upgrade to ios7.

20. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

But what about iOS 7.1? That's what I was referring to in my post. The iPad 4 also has twice the memory of the iPad 2, which makes a big difference when it comes to crashes in iOS apps- even iOS 7.0.4 should be fine on the iPad 4. Not saying Safari will never crash, but it shouldn't be a huge nuisance either.

21. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

And it's also retina, versus not in the 2. So that greatly limits your ram gains. iOS7 blows up more that 6. You can't ague that. And I advice the OP NOT to upgrade if they value continues use, without safari/apps blowing up.

22. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

But there's still more available RAM on the 4, all things considered. Yes, iOS 7 "blows up" more than iOS 6. But it's still not as bad as you're making it out to me. I have never had issues with iOS 7, but I'm not going to tell the OP that they won't have any problems. The truth lies in between your experience and my experience- it won't be flawless, but it won't be terrible. And like I said, iOS 7.1 (at least as of beta 4) fixes a lot of the crashing issues.

23. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

not just website, my air crashed many times just by rotating the screen.

24. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Ditto. But some people will constantly try to shout your experiences down.

So OP, you have an upgrade decision to make. Some claim to have little to no problems, others claim to have crashes constantly in safari, other apps, and simply rotating their devices. Feel comfortable upgrading? I know I wish I could take it back.

25. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

i can deal with the reloading but the crashing is just very annoying to deal with. funny thing, sometimes i can have 3-4 tabs open n they will constant refresh just switching back n forth.