iPad New iPad Air 2 Activation with T-Mobile 200MB

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JuliusCaesar, Oct 25, 2014.

1. JuliusCaesar macrumors regular

Hey guys, in case any one wonder, the new iPad Air 2 can be activated with T-Mobile 200MB right out of the box. I went to a T-Mobile store yesterday to ask some questions about it, and let me say that they are clueless about what their own company is doing. A customer representative told me that to get the 200MB first you need to pay for some of the data plans that they offer. Completely wrong, with the new Apple SIM card included you don't even have to pay T-Mobile the 10 dollars for a SIM card. Really easy to do. Hope this helps.
    :apple:

2. donnaw macrumors 65816

Thx for the heads up. Just activated mine.

Easy-peasy

3. JuliusCaesar thread starter macrumors regular

That was actually the main reason why I got a cellular iPad instead of the wifi. Props to T-Mobile for making it that easy, and giving something free.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yup, the free T-Mobile 200MB plan made the cellular iPad all that much more of a value to me too.

And they definitely know what they're doing. After a few months, I ended up switching my iPhone to T-Mobile as well.

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

What do you mean free? There's no monthly charge at all?

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yup, no monthly charge. No strings attached, no gimmicks. You shouldn't even have to set up a payment method.

The whole idea is, it's marketing for T-Mobile, in the hopes it'll convince people to get an on-demand data pack with them, or even move their phone service over if the iPad shows good coverage.

Details are here:

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9700

7. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

The 200mb is enough to get all your e-mail and iMessages when you are on the go. I bought a cellular iPad for when I travel but when I'm not travelling, I stick my trusty t-mobile sim card back in and I can still have connectivity on my iPad on those rare occasions when I take it out of the house. Mainly when I go to church since I use it as my bible.

8. JuliusCaesar thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it is very convenient indeed. Those 200MB will serve me well just in those times when there is no wifi available.

9. MareLuce macrumors 6502

Most useful thread of the year for me.

Thank you Julius Caesar! :D

I did the setup completely from my iPad. The trick was being patient enough after I click on

Settings -- Cellular Data -- T-mobile logo

Some of the screens in the activation process took at least a minute to come up.

10. JuliusCaesar thread starter macrumors regular

Oh Im glad I could help. Same here, everything done from the iPad, very straight forward. I was actually surprise how easy it was because I have not heard anything about the iPad Air 2 situation with the 200MB of data free.

11. Rigby macrumors 601

Note that you can still take advantage of the 5GB/150-day limited time offer if you need more than the 200MB/month. Can be booked right on the iPad. Once the 5GB pass runs out, it will revert back to the 200MB free plan.

Does anybody know when the 5GB offer will end?

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Nope.
    They dont even require a credit card on file.

Its pretty great for those rare moments without wifi.

13. JuliusCaesar thread starter macrumors regular

Saw that one too. Pretty good deal, average 1GB a month for 2 dollars each month for 5 months, that's aggressive.

14. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'll admit that I NEVER would have expected a large North American carrier to do something like this :D it's not a lot of data but I'm sure it'll lure people in

15. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

I went for the $10 5 GB plan and received an email that I also have the free 200 MG for the life of this device.

16. JuliusCaesar thread starter macrumors regular

Can I still do that even when I just activated the 200MB free with the set up of my iPad?

17. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

Why not? You have nothing to lose. Go back in and see if you can choose the $10 plan for 5 GB good for 150 days. You have to give credit card info, of course.

18. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

Does anyone know how the free music streaming works? Is it for all plans, monthly plans, or contract only plans? No clear cut info on the T-Mobile website.

19. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

I read somewhere that the free music does not apply to the 200 MG free access. Not sure where I saw that.

20. JuliusCaesar thread starter macrumors regular

You are right. I'll definitely try that.

21. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Free music is only simple choice plans, as is international data.

Not for refillable ipad MIM data.

22. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

23. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Yeah I am on t-mobile and hate their customer service. Reason why I left them back in 2010 and went with AT&T for an iPhone. With them again and isn't much better . I had to call 5 times for a signal booster and took a while to get a replacement Samsung note 4 since my screen wouldn't accept touch input at certain times. Also making me pay to return the old phone .... God if they didn't have good data speeds and unlimited data I would go back to AT&T

24. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

I love T-Mobile, but hate that they're slowly talking me into a new iPad...:D

25. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Also the data plans as well for tablets other then the 200mb plan