Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New iPad Air Reviews: 'The Best Tablet for Most People' With New Pro-Like Design and Features at Lower Price

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
They didn't do that specifically to prevent further overlap on Pro sales.
True, with the price more similar to a iPad pro, there wouldn't be an entry level iPad "pro". This way you get the features and performance for a ridiculously low price, albeit you need to offload data storage more often.

Arcontia

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
This new iPad Air will deserve all the positive praise it gets, because it actually has some new things in it as well as effort put into it unlike the 2020 iPad Pro which is the most incremental and forgettable iPad they ever released. I regret buying it, and thats coming from the 2017 Pro. Had basically nothing new, LiDAR is completely useless as is the ultrawide camera (who takes pictures on iPad?) and the A12Z just screams "lazy". We will probably never see a "z"-processor again. The battery life is worse than my old 2017 Pro, but if they just put effort into a new chip that was more power efficient, this wouldnt be an issue. The most noteworthy new feature in fact was the Smart Keyboard itself, to purchase separately. Well actually no, I don't regret buying it because the Smart Keyboard turned it into a true laptop-tablet hybrid for me that completely changes the experience, but what if the Smart Keyboard didn't exist, and just vanilla 2020 iPad Pro, then it really has nothing to show over its 2018 counterpart.

Meanwhile, iPad Air 2020 got a complete redesign, Touch-ID in the power button, compatibility with the newer Apple Pencil, A14 chip, 5 different colours, I would say thats all massive step up from the previous generation. If only the Pro from earlier this year got this much love and effort put into it.

howywood

macrumors member
May 8, 2020
As of now, it seems the 11” iPad Pro is a poor choice/value. Either get the 10.9” Air or get the 12.9” Pro, unless you need more than 256GB of storage.

256GB iPad Air is $749
128GB iPad Pro 11” is $799 (256GB is $899)

yup. Just bought an iPad Pro 11 in August and I’m regretting it. Even though it was relatively new!

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Pro-motion and quad-speakers are the only things missing stopping me upgrading to this from my 10.5" pro.

The 10.5” Pro is still a great device, but it’s starting to show its age in some games. The A14 should blow away the A10 for many tasks?

Last edited:
Reactions: Brenster

wood1208

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2015
Every aspect of new Air is great. Curious how first time implementation of touchid on power button turns out in real world usage. If people love it than it can get on iPhone SE3

ejin222

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
No its not! Especially now during Covid!
I would argue that having TouchID on the iPhone during COVID makes much more sense than on the iPad. I would rather have FaceID on the iPad and TouchID on the iPhone during this time~

Freida

macrumors 68030
Oct 22, 2010
True. Thats why I have SE :) TouchID is the best :)

I would argue that having TouchID on the iPhone during COVID makes much more sense than on the iPad. I would rather have FaceID on the iPad and TouchID on the iPhone during this time~

Reactions: ejin222

PortoMavericks

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2016
Gotham City
The USB-C port only supports 4GB/s.

I’m not disappointed because at this price point it’ll serve many people but for a power user like me, the Pro features are a big deal.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I think it’s interesting that the reviews say the air is clearly the right choice for most people. That’s how I felt last year, when I got my 2019 air: easy choice. The A10 ipad in 2019 was a non-starter, and the pro, starting at $300 more for the same storage, was a lot more than I was looking to pay.

now it’s way less clear IMO. The air is great, but the pricing/storage makes it hard to explain why you wouldn’t go pro, unless you’re happy with 64 GB. Meanwhile, at the low end, A12 is a LOT more capable than A10 (I have devices with both), so the 128 GB ipad becomes a good option.

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
Geez already. I set up a shortcut for when I’m shopping (need screen open longer). Opens settings let’s me select time to keep unlocked so I can see my shopping list, then set it back. Works great. Only 2 actions:
1). URL. prefs:root=DISPLAY&path=AUTOLOCK
2) safari. Open url

pretty easy. Keeps faceID and let’s you read your shopping list

macsound1

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I'm still in the weeds with what makes an iPad "pro" or not.

Besides the USB C port, which would make "pro" workflows easier if they include an external harddrive.

All the other "features" the differentiate the 3 lines iPad - iPad Air - iPad Pro don't make or break the "usefulness", they're just like luxury car add ons. Fancy glass, fancy cameras, fancy bezel, but overall, all iPad apps appear to have great performance on all models of iPad and I assume that's by design. Sure an iPhone app won't run as well on an iPhone 6S, but it will on an iPhone 8 which is pretty much what the regular iPad is.

macsound1

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
The 10.5” Pro is still a great device, but it’s starting to show its age in some games. The A14 should blow away the A10 for many tasks?
That's my question. What are those tasks that an A14 blows away an A10? I have 3 2018 iPads and every app I use works flawlessly. Procreate - no lag or issues with the pencil not being fluid, games, movies. Worst performance is from crappy websites.

Reactions: simonmet

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
I'm still in the weeds with what makes an iPad "pro" or not.

Besides the USB C port, which would make "pro" workflows easier if they include an external harddrive.

All the other "features" the differentiate the 3 lines iPad - iPad Air - iPad Pro don't make or break the "usefulness", they're just like luxury car add ons. Fancy glass, fancy cameras, fancy bezel, but overall, all iPad apps appear to have great performance on all models of iPad and I assume that's by design. Sure an iPhone app won't run as well on an iPhone 6S, but it will on an iPhone 8 which is pretty much what the regular iPad is.
Video and photo editing, illustration definitely benefit from pro line ( although as reviewers stated, the new air is pretty fast). If pro bothers you, just go with plus like samsmug. It just means enhanced features/performance

Cosmosent

macrumors 65832
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Without a doubt, it will be Apple's most-popular product this Holiday Season !

Followed by the new low-end MacBook Air OR Pro with AAPL Si.

Followed by which iPhone 12 ??? ... I think the mini, but very hard to say.

There are ONLY so many AAPL Fan Boys & Girls who will ante-up $1K USD OR more for new iPhones every year OR so, so neither Pro will very-likely be a hot seller.

Either it's the reduced-Price 11, OR the mini.

BTW, the mini would never do well in China, & you can see that from the fact that Longer Wheelbase autos are in demand there, where they are NOT anywhere else in the world !

The mini has a good chance to be the most-popular iPhone 12 model OUTSIDE of China.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.