Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New iPad Air Reviews: 'The Best Tablet for Most People' With New Pro-Like Design and Features at Lower Price

AppleMad98004

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2011
Cylde Hill, WA
True, with the price more similar to a iPad pro, there wouldn't be an entry level iPad "pro". This way you get the features and performance for a ridiculously low price, albeit you need to offload data storage more often.

One thing to think about is if the next iPad Pro has a A14Z and mini led it could be much more expensive than the current model making the price gap larger in the near future.

Reactions: Mogfrog

poematik13

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2014
Was debating between this and the Mini and got the Mini yesterday and love it. No regrets. Love the small form factor since tablets are mostly travel devices to me where I can leave my laptop at home. I can use it almost one handed and the split keyboard makes it feel like an iPhone Pro Max Plus

Air with LTE was like $700 which is just too much for a secondary device. Mini with LTE was 500.

GuruZac

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2015
I’m sure it is, but if you’re buying an Air and Magic Keyboard, plus Apple Pencil, you may as well spend $50 more and get the 128GB 11” iPad Pro, or $150 more and get comparable storage. The Air doesn’t make sense from a pricing point of view. If you can get by with 128GB, for $50 extra for the 11” iPad Pro you get FaceID, quad speakers, 120Hz ProMotion display, cameras and LiDAR, and stronger GPU.

Reactions: bchreng

GuruZac

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2015
Pro-motion and quad-speakers are the only things missing stopping me upgrading to this from my 10.5" pro.
Unfortunately, after using my iPad Pro 10.5 for the last nearly 3 1/2 years, and my 12.9 iPad Pro Gen 3 for the last 10 months, no way I would give up either feature, especially if I’m spending $750 before tax on an Air. Then you need the $130 Apple Pencil, and $300 Magic Keyboard... the 256GB Air with those options is $1200 before local tax.

GuruZac

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2015
I think it’s a great buy for those happy with 64gb, but for higher storage it’s easy to recommend the then smaller price jump to get a pro for the promotion, faceID and improved speakers.
That pricing strategy was deliberate as Apple knows those spending $750 for the Air are likely to spend up more for the Pro.

profH

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2017
Pasadena, CA
There is something to be said for the 120Hz (Pro Motion) on the iPad Pro. I don't own one, but I've played around with them at the Apple Store and it's so nice. At least to me, 120Hz is instantly noticeable and makes scrolling and swiping more fluid. It makes a big difference for LCD based screens, which the iPads have.

The 10.5 inch iPad Pro with pro-motion is actually my favorite iPad; still not thrilled about the tiny bezels on the new Pro (despite the incredibly awesome and futuristic look) and loss of touch ID. I guess this fixes one of those problems...

bluecoast

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2017
They should have started with 128GB. Especially now that the price is higher.
Agreed. 128GB feels like the sweet spot for this, with 64GB being too little an amount for a tablet that you’ll likely keep for 4-5 years.

256GB feels a little bit too much for a single user - unless you have loads of apps and/or are using it for pro/prosumer work and/or you’re a pack/rat.

It may however be a great size if multiuser access comes to iPadOS.

Finally, this now allows the Pro to get more expensive, so I’d imagine that we’ll see even better features on it (whatever processor the Mac is launching with, vertical and horizontal front facing cameras, MagSafe for iPad, the camera array from the iPhone 12 pro plus etc.)

Fishels

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2015
Two things that stand out to me that I didn’t think would bother me, but do, are the slightly thicker bezels and the Touch ID. On one of the reviews the touchID looked slower than I expected and a bit clumsy to use (press button, release, then hold finger on to unlock. At times triggering siri. Not to mention you have to find the button).

I think it’s a great buy for those happy with 64gb, but for higher storage it’s easy to recommend the then smaller price jump to get a pro for the promotion, faceID and improved speakers.
Which review was this? I'd like to see it in action.

Euroamerican

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
Boise
So, no mention of the stereo speakers and how they compare to the base iPad or iPad Pros?

Tell me, tell me, tell me how they do that thing!

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I’m sure it is, but if you’re buying an Air and Magic Keyboard, plus Apple Pencil, you may as well spend $50 more and get the 128GB 11” iPad Pro, or $150 more and get comparable storage. The Air doesn’t make sense from a pricing point of view. If you can get by with 128GB, for $50 extra for the 11” iPad Pro you get FaceID, quad speakers, 120Hz ProMotion display, cameras and LiDAR, and stronger GPU.

It's a shame there isn't a 128gb option offered for the Air. 64gb sounds a bit too small for my needs, which is mostly content consumption and casual games. Those apps add up though. Might has well shell out the extra $50. Hopefully Apple doesn't hike up the price for the A14 Pro.

Reactions: GuruZac

GuruZac

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2015
It's a shame there isn't a 128gb option offered for the Air. 64gb sounds a bit too small for my needs, which is mostly content consumption and casual games. Those apps add up though. Might has well shell out the extra $50. Hopefully Apple doesn't hike up the price for the A14 Pro.
I can tell, I would pay $50 alone extra for the ProMotion display. I would also pay $50 extra just to have FaceID. On a tablet, FaceID is so much more convenient than even the phone. You never have to reach up to unlock passwords, log in to websites, etc. It is so much better than TouchID on my 10.5 iPad Pro. Then you get in to the quad speaker arrangement on the Pro...it’s pretty amazing sounding considering the size of the speakers.

MrGimper

macrumors 604
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
The 10.5 inch iPad Pro with pro-motion is actually my favorite iPad; still not thrilled about the tiny bezels on the new Pro (despite the incredibly awesome and futuristic look) and loss of touch ID. I guess this fixes one of those problems...

And I’d hazard a bet that many like me switch it on just by clicking the home button and it authenticates and you’re in. As such, touchID on the power button is unnatural to me

Reactions: profH and sananda

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
you need a Surface Go, LOL

I'm not sure why you say "LOL" about that. Yes, that seems like an accurate statement. 10 years in, the iPad still suffers from Apple's decision to pointlessly limit the software that can run on it.

My Django application with Postgres is running fine on the Raspberry Pi mentioned below, so ARM isn't a reason I can't develop on an iPad. It's just Apple's stupid decisions that make it so a $5 computer is more capable than a $500 one.

Reactions: klasma

Mahasamatman

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
Anything that for typescript and webpack/node tool chain? A14 is posting impressive single-core speeds.
I have seen stuff for Javascript, but not to that extent though there is play.js which claims to be an IDE for react and node...

The stuff I’ve done has been in python using Pythonista which works pretty well. I did some work with flask and an app called HTTPBot to create and test a REST API which was quite fun. It’s unlikely it would suffice for pro work but seems good enough for learning and experimentation. Pythonista meets my definition of an IDE but your mileage may vary...

Of course if you want to go really hardcore install TestFlight and iSH and C and Java are just a package install away.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I have no idea why someone would by an 11" iPad Pro over this thing. Seems Pro enough to me. It's a freaking iPad!

I don't get why we have displays that are a tenth of an inch difference in size now. Can someone explain this stupidity?

Broadus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I have no idea why someone would by an 11" iPad Pro over this thing. Seems Pro enough to me. It's a freaking iPad!

I don't get why we have displays that are a tenth of an inch difference in size now. Can someone explain this stupidity?

The tenth of an inch evidently is for Apple to differentiate further between the Air and the Pro, but, no, I cannot come up with a decent reason. Perhaps Apple knows that there are some who will ante up the difference so as not to have the thicker bezels . . . Oh, the horror! 😂 The only way I would choose the 11" Pro is to find a 2020 256GB on sale, maybe Black Friday or when the updated Pro is announced, really close in price to the 2020 Air.

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
"Best tablet" for "most people" who want to spend 270 bucks more than they need to for a good tablet .

dingclancy23

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
The tenth of an inch evidently is for Apple to differentiate further between the Air and the Pro, but, no, I cannot come up with a decent reason. Perhaps Apple knows that there are some who will ante up the difference so as not to have the thicker bezels . . . Oh, the horror! 😂 The only way I would choose the 11" Pro is to find a 2020 256GB on sale, maybe Black Friday or when the updated Pro is announced, really close in price to the 2020 Air.

It is the 2021 iPad Pro that will be a game changer. I think the Z or X class chips are the chips that will be on Mac laptops, which means the iPad Pro and Arm Macs will have the same chips.

Also right now the price between the Air and Pro closer which means there is also a price increase coming for the upcoming iPad Pro. It will probably have 5G, OLED or Mini LED and ARM desktop class performance.

Still the iPad Air is still a great buy because it is not like the Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil 2 will be upgraded next year, which is the reason why people went with the Pros anyway.

Reactions: Broadus

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I thought of one difference: 2GB more RAM in the Pro that most people probably won’t use or notice unless they’re doing illustration with lots of layers. As a designer and photographer I’ve never been able to do serious graphic design work on this thing (you can but it’s tedious) and while I can do serious photography work, it uses low-res proxies in Lightroom and would never get near 6GB. I think Apple needs to develop Xcode and Final Cut for iPad Pro and then we’ll have a need for something with more power and RAM.

Reactions: Broadus

kerr

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Except Face ID is much better. You are talking about next year's models already? Wow you are forward thinking
How is having a big notch and not being able to use Face ID while wearing a mask during Covid better than the Touch ID implementation on the new iPad Air? I'll answer for you: it's not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.