Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to release a fifth-generation iPad Air with similar features as the sixth-generation iPad mini, including an A15 Bionic chip, 12-megapixel Ultra Wide front camera with Center Stage support, 5G for cellular models, and Quad-LED True Tone flash, according to Japanese blog Mac Otakara.

ipad-air-4-video.jpeg

Citing reliables sources in China, the report claims that the new iPad Air could be announced alongside the third-generation iPhone SE in spring 2022.

The new iPad Air will have the same overall design as the current model, including a single-lens rear camera, the report adds. Released in October 2020, the current iPad Air features a 10.9-inch display with slim bezels, a Touch ID power button, and a USB-C port, with color options including Space Gray, Silver, Green, Rose Gold, and Sky Blue.

Apple's first product event of the year will likely take place in March or April as usual, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, so it's possible that the new iPad Air and iPhone SE models could be announced at that event.

Mac Otakara accurately reported that the fourth-generation iPad Air would be equipped with a USB-C port, and that the latest 12.9-inch iPad Pro would be 0.5mm thicker to accommodate for a mini-LED display. On the other hand, the website has made some inaccurate claims, including that new AirPods Pro would launch in April 2021.

Article Link: New iPad Air Rumored to Launch This Spring With A15 Chip, 5G, Center Stage Camera, and More

RVijay007

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
If Apple adds these features, they will surely increase the price by $100+. Tired of non ground breaking features being added purely for the sake of skyrocketing the price to capture more of consumers hard earned revenue. I’d rather have the cheaper iPad Air but they will likely no longer sell it to force people to hand over even more money.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
If Apple adds these features, they will surely increase the price by $100+. Tired of non ground breaking features being added purely for the sake of skyrocketing the price to capture more of consumers hard earned revenue. I’d rather have the cheaper iPad Air but they will likely no longer sell it to force people to hand over even more money.
That would be unfortunate. Don't like price hikes. Hopefully it doesn't happen.

Oh boy! Mini bumped to 499 was already a hard pill to swallow. Wonder how much Air would be hiked.
The Mini did have quite an overhaul though.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Yup, makes good sense. Last iPad remaining without Center Stage. I think it will probably remain at $100 over the mini (where it is now), could get a $50 hike though.

Looks like a lot of early-year products are going to be iterative, outside of the 27” iMac replacement. I’m much more excited for the redesigned iPad Pro and MacBook Air, but I guess those are a ways off still while we wait for the M2.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I still don’t see the purpose of the iPad Air anymore as it’s taking the iPad Pro design through abs through.

Should just be iPad and unify the design having the low end be iPad Educational.

EDIT ok it's a very poor name suggestion but you get the basic idea, I hope, lower the regular iPad as an educational unit and just make the iPad Air the iPad, 'Air' doesn't offer anything more to the product line's name - its reason for being is the sleek design which is now following the iPad Pro. that's my point really.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I doubt it’ll increase by $100+. Maybe $50 at most.

The Air already got a $100 price bump in 2020 when Apple changed the chassis. The new rumored changes are fairly minor and pretty much just catching up with the mini 6. Heck, even the $329 iPad got Center Stage.

$399 mini 5 A12, 3GB
$499 Air 3 A12, 3GB

$599 Air 4 A14, 4GB

$499 mini 6 A15, 4GB
$599-649? Air 5

Heck, even at $649, the Air 5 doesn’t make much sense when compared to the $799 iPad Pro 11 (frequently on sale for $699-749). Until Apple releases a Mini-LED iPP 11 for $899, I reckon it’s more likely they will keep the $200 price gap between Air and Pro 11.

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Are you all noticing the trend here? Apple includes features exclusive to the Pro models a year later on the cheaper models. The best way to play this game is to always wait. There is just too much diminishing value on the Pro models of many Apple products. My friend bought a iPhone 12 (non-Pro) 6.1 and he is more than happy with it. I am even thinking of upgrading to the 12 later this year from my X. I guess you could say its a great time to be alive.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
I still don’t see the purpose of the iPad Air anymore as it’s taking the iPad Pro design through abs through.

Should just be iPad and unify the design having the low end be iPad Educational.
The iPad Air is the "consumer" iPad. The base iPad is "entry level". The iPad Pro has extra features that are cool but Jack up the price a lot. Air and Mini don't need those.

The iPad lineup is pretty streamlined now. 1 entry level, 2 consumer big & small, 2 pro big & small.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
The iPad Air is the "consumer" iPad. The base iPad is "entry level". The iPad Pro has extra features that are cool but Jack up the price a lot. Air and Mini don't need those.

The iPad lineup is pretty streamlined now. 1 entry level, 2 consumer big & small, 2 pro big & small.
What are the Pro features though? It's really hard to see how the iPad pro is better than the Air.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Are you all noticing the trend here? Apple includes features exclusive to the Pro models a year later on the cheaper models. The best way to play this game is to always wait. There is just too much diminishing value on the Pro models of many Apple products. My friend bought a iPhone 12 (non-Pro) 6.1 and he is more than happy with it. I am even thinking of upgrading to the 12 later this year from my X. I guess you could say its a great time to be alive.
So true. Let's say all these rumors are true. Then the only differentiating features would be mini-led and ProMotion.

Reactions: Mr. Dee
Excellent point! The problem is I hate waiting and I want the latest to the greatest Apple products. 😩

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

It’s not always a year. Some of the features being added to the Air now have been available since the 1st gen Pro (2015/16). Even then, there are still features like quad speakers and ProMotion that still haven’t made their way downmarket. 512GB+ storage options are still strictly the domain of iPad Pros despite 512GB making its way to mid-range iPhones.

I’m quite happy sticking with my iPhone SE. I don’t use my phone much to justify the high cost plus OLED iPhones give me migraines. On the iPad though, I’m willing to (grudgingly) spend more to get the features I want (mainly high storage and RAM).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.