Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Is this quite possibly the most disappointing 'new' ipad Apple have ever released? Looks exactly the same as the Ipad Air 2 which is 4.5 years old and seemingly the only upgrades are a faster processor (air 2 is pretty fast so not really a huge uplift for me) and camera (which presumably is still not as good as that of a newer iphone).

Why not offer a similar option to the Iphone XR as in bezel free, Face ID etc. at a slightly higher price but nowhere near as expensive as the Pro? I'd upgrade to that if it was £100-150 more than what the new Air is going for, as I am sure many others would.

Ok, I've no doubt they did their research and the maths and will make more money by offering the same product as there is zero R&D to be done, but I would think that swathes of Air1 and Air2 owners will simply ignore this as a possible upgrade as it is, basically, the same.

Anyone got one and can offer a couple of good reasons to upgrade?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I don’t know anybody that uses the rear camera on their iPad.
Just for scanner pro here.

That said ever since I got my 10.5 pro recently I’ve been using it more. Only at home a few times when my phone isn’t handy.

But 99% of the time - scanner pro or white board scans at work.
[doublepost=1555597080][/doublepost]
I do (for document scanning). :)
You beat me to it. Lol

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Why not offer a similar option to the Iphone XR as in bezel free, Face ID etc. at a slightly higher price but nowhere near as expensive as the Pro? I'd upgrade to that if it was £100-150 more than what the new Air is going for, as I am sure many others would.
Do note that the XR redesign wasn't strictly new. They were recycling changes made the year before with the iPhone X which cost $300 more than the iPhone 8.

Assuming you're happy with Air 2 performance, then I reckon only reason to consider upgrading is if you need more storage or extra features (e.g. 16GB Air 2 WiFi -> 64GB Air 3 LTE) or battery life has gone bad on your Air 2 (it happens).

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Do note that the XR redesign wasn't strictly new. They were recycling changes made the year before with the iPhone X which cost $300 more than the iPhone 8.
The fact that it isn't a new design makes it even more odd that they decided against an XR type option.

Assuming you're happy with Air 2 performance, then I reckon only reason to consider upgrading is if you need more storage or extra features (e.g. 16GB Air 2 WiFi -> 64GB Air 3 LTE) or battery life has gone bad on your Air 2 (it happens).

I am indeed, performance is great. Battery has inevitably deteriorated but I have had it 3.5 years so that is to be expected (full charge down from 10 hours usage to 4-5). I have 64gb now so don't really need an upgrade based on those factors!

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Is this quite possibly the most disappointing 'new' ipad Apple have ever released? Looks exactly the same as the Ipad Air 2 which is 4.5 years old and seemingly the only upgrades are a faster processor (air 2 is pretty fast so not really a huge uplift for me) and camera (which presumably is still not as good as that of a newer iphone).

Ok, I've no doubt they did their research and the maths and will make more money by offering the same product as there is zero R&D to be done, but I would think that swathes of Air1 and Air2 owners will simply ignore this as a possible upgrade as it is, basically, the same.

I think you’re completely out to lunch on this one. The worst one could say is that this is just a tarted up and (at the same time) dumbed down iPad Pro 10.5”, but the 10.5” iPad Pro and Air 3 are HUGE improvements over the iPad Air 2.

The 10.5” size with Smart Connector and full size non-Bluetooth Apple Smart Keyboard support have completely transformed how I use my iPad, and my previous iPad was the Air 2. Plus the Pencil support (like with other recent iPads) is really, really helpful.

Last edited:

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London

I love mine, thanks for asking. I upgraded from a mini 4 so can’t help you decide if you want it. It’s simple, you either do or you don’t!

Reactions: kloppdroptop

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think you’re completely out to lunch on this one. The worst one could say is that this is just a tarted up and (at the same time) dumbed down iPad Pro 10.5”, but the 10.5” iPad Pro and Air 3 are HUGE improvements over the iPad Air 2.

The 10.5” size with Smart Connector and full size non-Bluetooth Apple Smart Keyboard support have completely transformed how I use my iPad, and my previous iPad was the Air 2. Plus the Pencil support (like with other recent iPads) is really, really helpful.
The value of those two features are highly dependent on one's usage.

There's a reason why the $329 (often $249) iPad is Apple's most popular tablet model. Most people just don't find spending extra for the performance and all the bells and whistles of a higher end model worth it for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, web browsing, online shopping, etc.
[doublepost=1555600698][/doublepost]
The iPad Air 3 was a drastic improvement over the air 2.

It’s a 6.1mm thin iPad with a A12 in it and 10.5” screen for $500 bucks. I don’t see how it isn’t a great buy, with even greater performance.
That's assuming one needs the performance or slightly larger display. Besides, Air 2 is 6.1mm as well.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The value of those two features are highly dependent on one's usage.

There's a reason why the $329 (often $249) iPad is Apple's most popular tablet model. Most people just don't find spending extra for the performance and all the bells and whistles of a higher end model worth it for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, web browsing, online shopping, etc.
[doublepost=1555600698][/doublepost]
That's assuming one needs the performance or slightly larger display. Besides, Air 2 is 6.1mm as well.
Nothing wrong with the cheaper iPads but the point is the 10.5” is quite a different beast.

The problem with the 9.7” models (including the Air 2) is you can’t really use them fully all the same ways as the 10.5”/11” models successfully.

If you just want Twitter and browsing, get a 2018 9.7” iPad.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Nothing wrong with the cheaper iPads but the point is the 10.5” is quite a different beast.
Objectively, yes, it's a good device. If deals weren't so good on the Pro 10.5, the Air 3 is what I'd probably buy right now.

However, its (added) value to a user is something very personal. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have upgraded as often if I didn't have the justification of giving my old iPads and iPhones to family members. :p

If no one in the family had an iPad right now and used isn't a consideration, what I'd probably be buying is 1x 256GB Air 3 LTE and 3x 32GB 6th gen LTE.
[doublepost=1555602035][/doublepost]
If you just want Twitter and browsing, get a 2018 9.7” iPad.
Honestly, I expect this is how most people use their iPads (YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, browsing, etc).

Personally, I don't really do social media. Mostly I use my iPad for reading (comics and prose), forums, web browsing, online banking and online shopping. Don't really need or use either ASK or Pencil with mine.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Honestly, I expect this is how most people use their iPads (YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, browsing, etc).

Personally, I don't really do social media. Mostly I use my iPad for reading (comics and prose), forums, web browsing, online banking and online shopping. Don't really need or use either ASK or Pencil with mine.
This is actually my point. I used my iPad Air 2 for YouTube, Netflix, browsing (occasionally), and email. That's really just what the 9.7" iPads are suited for.

Then I got the 10.5" to do basically the same thing, but once I received it I saw its potential, picked up the Apple Smart Keyboard, and now use it for much more. I tried the same thing with multiple different keyboards for the 9.7" iPads (including the Air 2), and it just never was a great experience. In contrast, it's a whole new ball game with the 10.5" / 11" models, since they support full-sized keyboards with 18 mm keyspacing. The added width of the screen also makes multi-tasking much more pleasant.

I never even remotely considered my iPad Air 2 as a laptop replacement, because it just sucked for that due to its sizing and useless keyboards. In contrast, I could almost use a 10.5" / 11" iPad as a laptop replacement, as long as it had proper external storage support.

BTW, I will point out that Apple chose this 10.5" / 11" size in part specifically because it supports full sized keyboards. They came right out and said that at the keynote. (The 10.5" and 11" iPads are about the same width, because the 11" has smaller bezels.)

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
This is actually my point. I used my iPad Air 2 for YouTube, Netflix, browsing (occasionally), and email. That's really just what the 9.7" iPads are suited for.

Then I got the 10.5" to do basically the same thing, but once I received it I saw its potential, picked up the Apple Smart Keyboard, and now use it for much more. I tried the same thing with multiple different keyboards for the 9.7" iPads (including the Air 2), and it just never was a great experience. In contrast, it's a whole new ball game with the 10.5" / 11" models, since they support full-sized keyboards with 18 mm keyspacing. The added width of the screen also makes multi-tasking much more pleasant.

I never even remotely considered my iPad Air 2 as a laptop replacement, because it just sucked for that due to its sizing and useless keyboards. In contrast, I could almost use a 10.5" / 11" iPad as a laptop replacement, as long as it had proper external storage support.

BTW, I will point out that Apple chose this 10.5" / 11" size in part specifically because it supports full sized keyboards. They came right out and said that at the keynote. (The 10.5" and 11" iPads are about the same width, because the 11" has smaller bezels.)
Again, it's a personal decision. It worked for you. Doesn't mean it'll work the same for everyone else. Or if others are even interested in doing the same. In the first place, I expect most people only use their PCs for YouTube, Netflix, browsing and email anyway.

After iOS 9 rolled out, the iPad was already my primary computing platform for personal use. The release of bigger iPads hasn't really changed the situation. I have a 12.9" iPad and it's still not a complete laptop replacement for me (lacking support for certain software and accessories). It's doing the same things I was already doing on my 9.7" iPad. Granted, landscape side-by-side became much more useful since 12.9 retains tablet interface (unfortunately, something that's still lacking on 10.5-11" iPads).

The value proposition of upgrading is very much subjective.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
I looked into the Air, but with the massive price drop on the Pro this week.. how could you not spend the extra 150 and get the superior product... I went out and purchased an 11 inch yesterday for my fiance so she could edit her GoPro 4k videos on. Looking forward to testing it out!

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I bought the new Air a couple of weeks ago, and it is a sweetheart. My wife has the Air 2, and the Air 3 is a much better device....not even close.

I am not sure what people expect for a $499 iPad, but the new Air checks all of the boxes for me. I understand that there are some 10.5 pros on sale right now, and they might be good deals. But, retailers are just moving our inventory of an older model, so these sales will eventually go away.

In the meantime, I think the Air 3 is a great choice for a lot of people. It fits a huge market in the middle. I, for one, cant see myself spending $1,000 on an iPad. But, I did want something nicer than the older base model with a two year old processor. Besides, the Air 3 comes with 64GB of storage, which is prefect for me. I would have had to buy more storage with the entry level iPad, since 32GB won’t cut it......

I understand that there are more sales on the base models, which might make them more attractive. Of course, the Air 3 will also see some nice discounts later in summer and as we approach the holidays.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

So you buy stuff just based on looks.
Good to know.

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London
I looked into the Air, but with the massive price drop on the Pro this week.. how could you not spend the extra 150 and get the superior product... I went out and purchased an 11 inch yesterday for my fiance so she could edit her GoPro 4k videos on. Looking forward to testing it out!

A superior product that’s two years old and potentially has screen defects. I decided to pass on that. That’s the 10.5 Pro. Not seen any discounts on the year old 11 inch pro. The same configuration of that would have cost me over £350 more than the Air.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
A superior product that’s two years old and potentially has screen defects. I decided to pass on that.
2018 iPad Pro is now on sale in the US, $125 to $150 off.

No such luck in Canada though. Dunno about the UK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.