Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
A superior product that’s two years old and potentially has screen defects. I decided to pass on that. That’s the 10.5 Pro. Not seen any discounts on the year old 11 inch pro. The same configuration of that would have cost me over £350 more than the Air.
I believe he was referring to the 2018 iPad Pro 11". There are some very nice discounts on it on Best Buy and Amazon.

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London
2018 iPad Pro is now on sale in the US, $125 to $150 off.

No such luck in Canada though. Dunno about the UK.

No sales in the UK, that I can see anyway. The 256GB WiFi 11 inch costs £919 against £629 for the Air. Without AppleCare. £698/£1048 with AppleCare.
[doublepost=1555616584][/doublepost]
I believe he was referring to the 2018 iPad Pro 11". There are some very nice discounts on it on Best Buy and Amazon.

Yes, sorry, I realised that after I initially posted. Tbh Amazon is one place I wouldn’t buy an iPad from, don’t get me wrong I use Amazon all the time, and I like them, but an expensive thing, no I wouldn’t trust them. No Best Buy or equivalent in the UK.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I wouldn't underestimate just how much looks drive Apple sales!
Is it looks, or is it brand?

If looks is the driver, then why Apple is sticking to one design for a long time?
Compare that to Chinese Android phones where they change design and color almost on every iteration.

kloppdroptop

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2019
I just got the new iPad Air 64gb and love it. Huge improvement coming from an iPad 5th gen 2017 32gb.
Much thinner, bigger, laminated True Tone wide color display, A12 from A9, same front camera as my iPhone 7, new space gray finish, and I finally have a matching brown leather Smart Cover like my brown leather phone case.
Pencil support, still got the headphone jack, extra GB of RAM, faster Touch ID, double flash storage, etc.
It’s a huge upgrade for me.

So it might not excite people who have iPad Pros, but if you have an older iPad (non pro) it’s a huge upgrade.
Fair price too.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
You could argue that the Mini 5 is more underwhelming than the Air, though I love mine. Both are updates on a 2014 model. The Air got a larger screen where the Mini stayed the same. The Air is just compared to the 2nd gen Pro, where there is nothing that comes close to the Mini.

I saw the Air in the Apple Store and it was just too big for me, so it was only an underwhelming release in that the choice of which A12 device to replace my ageing iPad with was effectively made for me.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
A superior product that’s two years old and potentially has screen defects. I decided to pass on that. That’s the 10.5 Pro. Not seen any discounts on the year old 11 inch pro. The same configuration of that would have cost me over £350 more than the Air.
The "screen defects" are usually blown out of proportion on forums like these. It's likely that the issues brought up on the forums account for less than 5% of iPads sold. I just bought one of these models brand new for $450 (64gb wifi model) and no screen defects. Also, not quite 2 years old, as the gen2 Pros were released in June 2017 (22 months ago).

Year old 11 inch Pro? You mean the one that came out in November? That's only 5 months ago...

Reactions: haruhiko

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
I half agree, as its not the ‘sexy’ purchase anymore, but all in all the current iPad Air (or the 10.5 iPad Pro) is the best performance for the dollar in the iPad line, and I’d argue that since the iOS is handicapped so much, its almost silly to have a new iPad Pro (which I do and love, but my 10.5 pro is missed in some ways).

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013

If looks is the driver, then why Apple is sticking to one design for a long time?
Compare that to Chinese Android phones where they change design and color almost on every iteration.
Well, given that Apple wants to maintain the excellent 4:3 Aspect ratio, their flexibility in modifying the design is limited. One of the best things about iPads is the aspect ratio, which no other tab has (well aside from a Samsung tab,I think).

Reactions: Falhófnir

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Well, given that Apple wants to maintain the excellent 4:3 Aspect ratio, their flexibility in modifying the design is limited. One of the best things about iPads is the aspect ratio, which no other tab has (well aside from a Samsung tab,I think).
Yes, that’s part of the reason. But looks like some people like the OP and the person I replied to prioritize the superficial look of the device instead of actual usability of it as their purchasing decision. Maybe they buy iPads for decoration. :shrug:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes, that’s part of the reason. But looks like some people like the OP and the person I replied to prioritize the superficial look of the device instead of actual usability of it as their purchasing decision. Maybe they buy iPads for decoration. :shrug:
Someone acknowledging that there are people buying iOS devices for their looks (probably more like hey, look at me, I’ve got a brand new iPhone) doesn’t equate to that person himself buying devices for decoration.

I feel like I should point out though:
iPhone
3G - new design
3GS - white
4 - new design
4S - white (not initially available for 4, iirc)
5 - new design
5S - gold
6 - new design
6S - rose gold
7 - jet black
X - new design
XS - gold

Personally, I always go for boring slate/space gray/(matte) black.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Someone acknowledging that there are people buying iOS devices for their looks (probably more like hey, look at me, I’ve got a brand new iPhone) doesn’t equate to that person himself buying devices for decoration.

iPhone
3G - new design
3GS - white
4 - new design
5 - new design
5S - gold
6 - new design
6S - rose gold
7 - jet black
X - new design
XS - gold

Well, I said maybe, since the OP and the person I replied to seem to only complain about the looks without actually giving a good argument on their reasons. :shrug:

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London
The "screen defects" are usually blown out of proportion on forums like these. It's likely that the issues brought up on the forums account for less than 5% of iPads sold. I just bought one of these models brand new for $450 (64gb wifi model) and no screen defects. Also, not quite 2 years old, as the gen2 Pros were released in June 2017 (22 months ago).

Year old 11 inch Pro? You mean the one that came out in November? That's only 5 months ago...

I don’t think the Pro 10.5 Bright Spot is a “blown out of proportion” issue. Any google search will prove that.

I thought both the 11” and 12.9” Pros came out last year. Sorry I don’t follow iPad releases that closely. I know the 10.5 came out in 2017.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

iPhone
3G - new design
3GS - white
4 - new design
5 - new design
5S - gold
6 - new design
6S - rose gold
7 - jet black
X - new design
XS - gold

LOL and I usually go for silver. The times I have ventured away from silver, I’ve regretted it. It’s not like I can ever really SEE the color of the device either, since it’s always in a case, but I just know... ;-p

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
LOL and I usually go for silver. The times I have ventured away from silver, I’ve regretted it. It’s not like I can ever really SEE the color of the device either, since it’s always in a case, but I just know... ;-p
Lol, for me it's all about the bezel. Until recently, any chassis color other than black or gray meant white bezels. :p
[doublepost=1555681964][/doublepost]
Well, I said maybe, since the OP and the person I replied to seem to only complain about the looks without actually giving a good argument on their reasons. :shrug:
The person you replied to (@Falhófnir) didn't complain about looks at all. All he said was this:
I wouldn't underestimate just how much looks drive Apple sales!

A lot of discussions I've had with him are usually of a technical nature concerning chipset performance.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

Well, looks are heavily tied up in Apple's brand, to the extent if a key part of the reason you're buying is because it's an appealing design (and again, I wouldn't underestimate the number of people for whom this is a big consideration when buying) Apple is the clear choice in most cases if they're even mildly competitive in other factors. I mean why else would they go out of their way to design really stunning products if good enough was good enough? It all costs them money and you can bet they've determined sleeker design gives them an edge in the market through market research.

The same design doesn't really matter when you're already chip leader in this regard. As @rui no onna suggested, even something as simple as a colour update is likely enough (gold iPhone 5s and Xs, rose gold 6s, jet black 7). For me, the design is a consideration, not necessarily the key one, but if looking at two machines that would both suit my use case, yes I could see myself deciding to go with an Apple one with the deciding factor being nicer design/ better looks. Of course personal taste will play a role, I expect there are some people who can't stand Apple's design aesthetics. But even that can be a positive, something controversial like the notch that gets talked about will still end up benefitting them as it becomes a recognisable trademark sort of thing.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I bought the new Air a couple of weeks ago, and it is a sweetheart. My wife has the Air 2, and the Air 3 is a much better device....not even close.

I am not sure what people expect for a $499 iPad, but the new Air checks all of the boxes for me. I understand that there are some 10.5 pros on sale right now, and they might be good deals. But, retailers are just moving our inventory of an older model, so these sales will eventually go away.

In the meantime, I think the Air 3 is a great choice for a lot of people. It fits a huge market in the middle. I, for one, cant see myself spending $1,000 on an iPad. But, I did want something nicer than the older base model with a two year old processor. Besides, the Air 3 comes with 64GB of storage, which is prefect for me. I would have had to buy more storage with the entry level iPad, since 32GB won’t cut it......

I understand that there are more sales on the base models, which might make them more attractive. Of course, the Air 3 will also see some nice discounts later in summer and as we approach the holidays.

Should just move the 10.5 iPad Pro into the $499 rang and call it a day. It offer way less than 10.5 iPad Pro, except the processor part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.