New iPad auto-brightness

Discussion in 'iPad' started by guitarguy316, Mar 18, 2012.

1. guitarguy316 macrumors regular

So I was wondering, do most of you use auto brightness or not? I have always left it on and had the brightness set to 50%. By having it on, I guess it overrides the Britney's setting?

2. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I think its just an up/down adjustment from whatever brightness you choose.

I turned it off because I would end up adjusting it all the time anyway so I might as well have complete control. If you want to avoid the hassle though im sure it helps.

3. SR71 macrumors 68000

I guess only you will know if it overrides Britney's settings? ;)

All kidding aside, I do use auto brightness on my iPhone but not on the iPad since the brightness setting is so much more easily accessible than on the iPhone.

4. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I have it on now but I'm not sure if I notice it working.

5. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Can't understand if the auto brightness feature works and how. I have never seen it move.

6. kocoman macrumors regular

When you turn on your iPad from sleep, the auto bightness is set at this point

7. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I've disabled it. I don't think it works very well.

8. WigWag Workshop macrumors 6502

WigWag Workshop

9. big samm macrumors 65816

Same here i don't use it anymore on my ipad, only on the iphone.
    The auto brightness never worked properly on ios , it is supposed to adjust the brightness of your screen depending on the light's environment you're in... Lets say you fix your brightness at 40% if you go out on a sunny day the screen should bright up automatically so you can see under the sun, that's perfect but when you come back inside the screen should dim automatically, which ios do not do... Instead you have to lock the device with the power button to dim it back to the setting you first set.

10. number84 macrumors 6502

yah, auto-brightness is a one way street...will only dim and not brighten based on ambient light. and only does it once (until you lock and unlock again). a very crude implementation of auto-brightness, if you ask me.

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I don't use the auto either, just adjust it manually...

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have it on, but I guess I've never really cared about it too much. I notice it a lot when I'm on the train--we'll hit a part of the track where the sun is shining directly through the window on my seat, and the screen will adjust. I guess I've never noticed that it doesn't adjust back.

On a side not, I don't know how some people use their iPads on 100% brightness. I have tried that before and in dark rooms it really hurts/strains my eyes.

13. sekazi macrumors 6502

I use it on both my iPhone and iPad.

I have both devices set to about 60%.

If it is bright out when I unlock the brightness will increase to compensate.

If it is dark when I unlock the brightness will decrease.

If I walk into a dark area from outside the brightness will decrease not to blind you.

Works great for me.

14. pdawg macrumors regular

This. First time I saw it "working" this way I wondered if I was seeing the light/bright/leaking/etc issues I read about here all the time on my till that moment perfect iPad.

15. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

I find it useless. Would rather have complete control.

16. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I have to agree. The auto-brightness feature on the iPad is ridiculously inefficient. Apple's software engineers need to go back to the drawing board and completely re-code it because its functionality is non-existent as it stands now.

17. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I find it to be useless on the iPad and much better on iPhone

18. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Auto-Brightness not what it seems. Most people are thinking that this adjusts to a comfort level you're happy with. Unfortunately this is more of an energy saver by dimming in bright light.

19. b.c. macrumors 6502

note that the auto-brightness feature does NOT continuously adjust the screen brightness, as you might expect. it appears to only adjust the brightness based on the ambient light level just after waking from sleep/unlock.

if the ambient light level changes after the first few seconds the iPad is wakened, the screen brightness will not change again until the next sleep/wake cycle

if you don't think the auto brightness setting is doing anything, you can test it in a bright room by covering the ambient light sensor (it's located just above the front-facing camera) while your iPad is asleep, then awaken it (slide to unlock, if necessary). with sensor covered, the iPad will wake with a slightly dimmed screen. If instead you test it in a darkened room and wake the iPad with a flashlight pointed at the sensor, the screen backlight will be brighter than normal.

20. sekazi macrumors 6502

Mine adjusts after being on for any amount of time. Example it is dark. My iPad has been on for at least 10 minutes. I shine a light on the sensor and the screen gets brighter. I was mistaken earlier when I said it darkens I meant the other way around.

As for the people complaining it is not working. It will do nothing at 100% brightness and barely anything at the lowest brightness.

21. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

It works best if you press the top button to put the iPad to sleep, then re-awaken it with the home button. This will "force" an auto adjustment. The lock screen will still be super bright, the actual adjustment takes places after you slide to unlock. Test it out in a pitch black room. It'll be glaringly obvious.

Auto-brightness on the iPhone, however, doesn't work at all.

22. Dkorda macrumors 6502

23. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Same, works fine for me in very low light and bright light.

24. breezyf808 macrumors regular

I just checked mines couple minutes earlier, after reading this tread several hours ago
    I must say it WORKS!,!!
    Just go into settings and into brightness/wallpaper heading and u can definantly tell the difference especially at night (or in darker settings)

25. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Hmmm...will try again, but for now mine doesn't do anything. Yesterday I moved on the outside, under the sun, brightness was at around 50% and didn't change at all :confused:
    Where is the light sensor mounted ?