Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Interesting considering the iPhone is more expensive than the iPad. The actual price just gets masked by subsidies on 2-year contracts with expensive monthly plans. :rolleyes:

Price is not the only factor obviously. :rolleyes:
Smartphones are used to provide basic and advanced tools that allow the owner to communicate via different networks.
Tablets provide an expensive alternative with larger screens, less usability and less capacities, while offering a better way of enjoying media content of any kind than their smartphone counterpart.
If you can't understand it yourself, too bad; I have no interest in discussing such an obvious statement. :rolleyes:

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
You have to factor in that people use their iPhones pretty much all day everyday and have them with them at all times. Smartphones have become a "necessity" while tablets still remain mostly a luxury item. Just the nature of the products.

Necessity? A cell phone? It is not valid to use those two words together in the same phrase or context! People might think they are a necessity, but the phones are no more a necessity than a tablet or any other gadget.

Of course, that doesn't stop everyone from having their face shoved into the phone screens all day like a bunch of goofballs. :D

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
so , ipad launch no need to wait in line just go apple store they should have stock available right ???????
hum, that's harder to say. When I got my iPad1 I had to wait a few months till seller had stock of the model I wanted (64gb wifi only) but I was in Singapore and it didn't seem to be a priority market for supply

----------

Necessity? A cell phone? It is not valid to use those two words together in the same phrase or context! People might think they are a necessity, but the phones are no more a necessity than a tablet or any other gadget.

Of course, that doesn't stop everyone from having their face shoved into the phone screens all day like a bunch of goofballs. :D
I think most people from teenagers upwards would think a cell phone of some kind was a necessity.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I think the iPad 2 was the last time I saw lineups and waiting for an iPad. I had to wait a week and order through reserve and pick up as my pre-order was still a couple of weeks away. Unless they do something dramatically different with this year's iPad, I don't see the same waiting/queuing as this year's iPhone.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
I walked right into the store late afternoon and picked up the iPad Air day of launch. Anyone who waited in line wasted their time.

This!

Ordered my Air at launch night for instore pickip, and got it 8 hours later. However, had an issue and exchanged it. they had stock of every model.

That being said, they were out of the original ipad mini in white when I went in at launch night.

I seriously doubt lines for a revised ipad... it prob won't even be a full redesigned model until next year...

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think the majority of people see the iPhone as a $199 device and the iPad as a $499 device..
Given all the recent posts regarding AT&T's new plans and the "loss of discount", I think so, too. I have friends in other parts of the world where subsidized smartphones aren't prevalent who have asked me why I bought such an expensive smartphone when much less expensive options (e.g. Nexus, Moto X) exist. If the US didn't have subsidies or financing options, I doubt the iPhone would have such a large market share here.

Sure, smartphones are more of a "necessity" than tablets nowadays. That said, I highly doubt so many people would be buying an iPhone specifically if they had to actually pay the full $649/749/849/949 outright for it instead of $199/299/399/499 on contract. :rolleyes:

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Usually the iPad releases are a lot more lax. On release day of the 1st gen mini, I just walked in mid day and they had stock left. From my experience, its nowhere near the hype of the iPhones.

DaCurmudgen

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
My experience with the iPad Air and Retina Mini is that being able to pre-order eliminated any need to queue up outside. I got the rMini last year, and the bigger problem was which store actually had any of configuration and color I wanted. On Day 1, people were just walking in with their pre-order info and picking them up. No lines, or at least, not in Manhattan.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Given all the recent posts regarding AT&T's new plans and the "loss of discount", I think so, too. I have friends in other parts of the world where subsidized smartphones aren't prevalent who have asked me why I bought such an expensive smartphone when much less expensive options (e.g. Nexus, Moto X) exist. If the US didn't have subsidies or financing options, I doubt the iPhone would have such a large market share here.

Sure, smartphones are more of a "necessity" than tablets nowadays. That said, I highly doubt so many people would be buying an iPhone specifically if they had to actually pay the full $649/749/849/949 outright for it instead of $199/299/399/499 on contract. :rolleyes:

Oh for sure. Your last statement is on point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.