Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emachine87

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Give it a month or two and there will be posts of “ghost bending”. Some will be called trolls and others will want proof. I say head over to the search section and search “iPad Pro 10.5 bent”. The heat from the chip and battery will eventually warp the new iPad out of shape. Want proof? Place it screen down and see the tiny gap for yourself. Damn this thin fetish! On MacBooks it’s one thing but not on a glass slab!

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
I've never understood why people forcefully bend their iPads on Youtube then claim that iPads are weak, and even in my experience working at Apple, I'd never seen someone's iPhone "just bend". We even took a 6 Plus and sat on it in the back pocket to try and get it to bend, and it took a significant amount of force to even get it to flex. Even with the way the store use iPads are treated, I would expect them to be bent and none of them were.

However, I just picked up the iPad Pro 11", and oddly enough I noticed it was a bit curved out of the box. Maybe like 1-2mm. Didn't really bother me, until I realized that even just a little force was enough to "bend it back into place". I've probably handled over 1000+ people's devices during my time at the Genius Bar, but I'd never found a device so easily bendable that I was a little afraid to put it in my bag....

I guess we'll see how it goes, maybe I'll get a super hard case for it or something :/

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
I've never understood why people forcefully bend their iPads on Youtube then claim that iPads are weak, and even in my experience working at Apple, I'd never seen someone's iPhone "just bend". We even took a 6 Plus and sat on it in the back pocket to try and get it to bend, and it took a significant amount of force to even get it to flex. Even with the way the store use iPads are treated, I would expect them to be bent and none of them were.

However, I just picked up the iPad Pro 11", and oddly enough I noticed it was a bit curved out of the box. Maybe like 1-2mm. Didn't really bother me, until I realized that even just a little force was enough to "bend it back into place". I've probably handled over 1000+ people's devices during my time at the Genius Bar, but I'd never found a device so easily bendable that I was a little afraid to put it in my bag....

I guess we'll see how it goes, maybe I'll get a super hard case for it or something :/

That comment sounds worrisome and is not from a troll. So we might take this problem more seriously...

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
That comment sounds worrisome and is not from a troll. So we might take this problem more seriously...
I picked up my iPad Pro 11 inch today, and I can report it's flat.

As someone who had an iPhone 6 without a case for 3 years that didn't bend, I feel pretty good about my iPad so far. If it bends on its own, I'll be the first to complain.

However, I can only hope I don't have to spend another few years reading comments from people who don't own the product I own but who complain about it bending.

Last edited:

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I’ve been to the local Apple Store several times now. I sorta tried to flex the new iPads. Yes, they are thinner...but they still felt sturdy. They certainly didn’t feel fragile. Regardless of thinness, these iPad pros are expensive. And I don’t know about anyone else, but I am careful with such purchases. I certainly wouldn’t jam this iPad into a backpack without a case. But then I haven’t done that with any iPad i’ve ever bought. Yes, accidents do happen. But just be careful. Use common sense. Protect your iPad. I dunno what more can be said.

Reactions: emachine87

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
I certainly wouldn’t jam this iPad into a backpack without a case. But then I haven’t done that with any iPad i’ve ever bought. Yes, accidents do happen. But just be careful. Use common sense. Protect your iPad. I dunno what more can be said.

I agree. I generally have some sort of hard case, or at least the Apple Smart Case (front and back), and I tend to not put in oddly shaped objects that will put pressure on the devices I carry... but I've never had a tablet device where I was able to bend it THIS easily.

Right now, I have it in one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/ESR-Lightwei...=8-1&keywords=ipad+pro+2018+11-inch+hard+case

With a glass screen protector on the front, and it's in the "padded laptop compartment" of my bag.

And I'm still afraid to put it in my bag at all for fear that I will end up slowly warping it. :(

Last edited:

emachine87

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Th problem is that hard cases will only make the bending more prominent bc of the pressure that’s on the chassis. You have to wonder why Apple didn’t release any Smart Cover compatible silicone cases. It’s better to use an iPad Pro naked these days...

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Th problem is that hard cases will only make the bending more prominent bc of the pressure that’s on the chassis. You have to wonder why Apple didn’t release any Smart Cover compatible silicone cases. It’s better to use an iPad Pro naked these days...

Yea... It really only provides marginal bend protection as well. It's mostly for protection against minor bumps and scratches. Maybe I will end up just going with the super expensive Apple one. :/

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Yea... It really only provides marginal bend protection as well. It's mostly for protection against minor bumps and scratches. Maybe I will end up just going with the super expensive Apple one. :/

You’ve just bought a super expensive ipad and a super expensive pencil. If anything it’ll just the the nail in the coffin, ahem, your credit card statement.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA

Other than a Smart Cover which I take off when in use, don’t most people use their iPads naked?

I’ve never scratched nor bent any of mine and I beat the snot out of all of them.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

Huh? What is a silicon cover going to do to protect from bending? And the Folio is pretty much the same with back protection, no idea if it will help if there really is an issue though.

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
You’ve just bought a super expensive ipad and a super expensive pencil. If anything it’ll just the the nail in the coffin, ahem, your credit card statement.

Heh. I'm more concerned about "protection I don't have to worry about all the time" versus "it costs a bit more". I will gladly pay $70 more for more piece of mind.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Kind of amazed the ‘issues’ others will attempt to deflect why this should be a concern for bending based on YouTube videos. Most take care of their devices that will never encounter this. It’s like the bending with the iPhone 6, it mainly happened to those sitting on their iPhones, yet millions of iPhone 6 users never encountered this ‘Problem.’

Reactions: tromboneaholic

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Kind of amazed the ‘issues’ others will attempt to deflect why this should be a concern for bending based on YouTube videos. Most take care of their devices that will never encounter this. It’s like the bending with the iPhone 6, it mainly happened to those sitting on their iPhones, yet millions of iPhone 6 users never encountered this ‘Problem.’
Agreed. Furthermore, it's really annoying to own a product and see other people who don't own it complain about things that don't affect them.

emachine87

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
It’s the principal of the matter. Some are on the verge of buying one and want to be damn sure that they don’t pay for an inferior product. I’m thinking that Apple did this on purpose. They make a big profit margin from Apple care+ sales. Once a unit gets bent from regular use they just blame the user for the damage.

Reactions: CrazyForCashews

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
It’s the principal of the matter. Some are on the verge of buying one and want to be damn sure that they don’t pay for an inferior product. I’m thinking that Apple did this on purpose. They make a big profit margin from Apple care+ sales. Once a unit gets bent from regular use they just blame the user for the damage.

What is their profit margin on AppleCare sales?

emachine87

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Oh it’s cool lol yeah I wish I knew. All in all I’m hoping that if this happens to be a real issue that Apple just does an internal hardware revision like a normal company would in this situation.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Oh it’s cool lol yeah I wish I knew. All in all I’m hoping that if this happens to be a real issue that Apple just does an internal hardware revision like a normal company would in this situation.

To warrant a hardware revision, don’t you think it would likely have to generate a number of mass complaints of customers experiencing bending? Similar to how they altered the 6000 series aluminum to the 7000 series aluminum from the iPhone 6 to the 6s.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
What a load of crap. Ok, put your thin casing aluminum ultrabook on the couch and sit on it. I BET something breaks. Big shocker you shouldn't sit on expensive electronics and if you do that's on you to repair it.

No company needs to make their product "sit proof" from a 100-300 pound person; that's ridiculous. Physics is physics.

The iPhone 6 was completely different as it was bending with an intact display. This had 1 of the largest surfaces of the device compromised already. HUGE difference in physics. It's like comparing jumping on the roof of your car and then when all the glass removed for some reason. Of course it crushes more (the pillars) without the glass supporting the force some.
As I pointed out am disabled and I do forget due to the sheer amount of morphine I am on that I may be about to sit down and I cannot stop halfway down to move the iPad instantly if I notice I left it in a dumb place, that's on me yes. But kids etc will and you cant control Murphys law. Also I was not saying nor did I allude to saying it should be sit proof, but my Air 2 has been very robust, so as a potential purchaser I have concerns over the new design, and I am just voicing them. Don't try to change my post to fit your narrative please..
[doublepost=1542017635][/doublepost]
I don't have to google anything to know what kind of effect glass has on a casing, I'm more than aware of its properties.

If you take a bare metal iPad case, no glass on it, from any generation, it is going to be relatively easy to bend.
If you add a piece of glass to that equation, it becomes harder to bend for a few reasons, but let's just keep it simple.

The main two we're concerning ourselves with here, is that it's now a complete box, with no missing surfaces and the rigidity of the glass. This combination shores up the casing, making it inherently less flexible and also distributes any forces applied to it across more surface. The case protects the glass and the glass strengthens the case, its symbiotic.

If that glass get broken, the structural integrity disappears completely. hence why we see such a difference between the first video posted and the second. The first video's bending is being done on an already structurally compromised iPad, in the second video it's not.

Using your logic you should love the new 12.9" iPad Pro, it's smaller than the previous generation. So, using your logic, smaller glass = less easy to break. The size and indeed the thickness of glass is not the only measure of its strength or rigidity. Try a piece of iPad sized glass from the 1970's against a piece from today's iPad, you'll see what I mean.

Is it possible to bend an iPad, even without breaking the glass? Yep, definitely, but only a small amount, there's enough give in the glass to allow for that. Is it possible to bend and break an iPad, sure, with enough force. Is it likely, well I suppose that depends on how haphazardly you treat your devices.
Ipad glass may be stronger than glass from the 1970's but it still flexes and laws of physics still apply, and with the new design which appears to have hollow areas around the edges maybe for the magnets that will maybe weaken the device, who knows right now, its early days. Maybe its the whole thing, thin glass, a very thin body for no real reason apart from ascetics and that like other models since it may need to be made out of a stronger Aluminium for longevity, unless Apple really want your iPad to bend and rupture its battery which I doubt. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this. Interesting exchange though. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
As I pointed out am disabled and I do forget due to the sheer amount of morphine I am on that I may be about to sit down and I cannot stop halfway down to move the iPad instantly if I notice I left it in a dumb place, that's on me yes. But kids etc will and you cant control Murphys law. Also I was not saying nor did I allude to saying it should be sit proof, but my Air 2 has been very robust, so as a potential purchaser I have concerns over the new design, and I am just voicing them. Don't try to change my post to fit your narrative please..
[doublepost=1542017635][/doublepost]
Ipad glass may be stronger than glass from the 1970's but it still flexes and laws of physics still apply, and with the new design which appears to have hollow areas around the edges maybe for the magnets that will maybe weaken the device, who knows right now, its early days. Maybe its the whole thing, thin glass, a very thin body for no real reason apart from ascetics and that like other models since it may need to be made out of a stronger Aluminium for longevity, unless Apple really want your iPad to bend and rupture its battery which I doubt. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this. Interesting exchange though. :)

Absolutely, though as I’ve already said, I certainly don’t disagree with the iPad bending scenario. There’s not a shred of doubt that it will bend.

My issue is with the testing methodology in the video. You simply can’t get an accurate result from such a compromised chassis.

What I will be interested in is when/if someone does a bend test on a device which hasn’t already been compromised.
Then we will have a more accurate basis on which to apply our thoughts.

Incidentally though, the iPad glass flexing is deliberate. It’s by design to make it less prone (theoretically) to shattering if dropped. The ability to flex absorbing and distributing some of the impact force. That’s their theory on it, how effective it is in real world situations compared to laboratory conditions...well, that’s up for argument.
I’ve personally never designed glass, so I’ll take their word for it. I’ve only ever had to know it’s tolerances when I was training to be an architect, which was a while ago. Damn I’m getting old :p

My drop count on my own iPad has gone up to 12 now. Damn nerve damage. Thankfully it’s still undamaged. But I’ll be a lot happier when it’s skin gets here.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Imagine having that much money that you can buy one of these and then break it.
Immagine then making money with such video... one has to wonder what are we looking at, and why are we doing it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.