Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Absolutely, though as I’ve already said, I certainly don’t disagree with the iPad bending scenario. There’s not a shred of doubt that it will bend.

My issue is with the testing methodology in the video. You simply can’t get an accurate result from such a compromised chassis.

What I will be interested in is when/if someone does a bend test on a device which hasn’t already been compromised.
Then we will have a more accurate basis on which to apply our thoughts.

Incidentally though, the iPad glass flexing is deliberate. It’s by design to make it less prone (theoretically) to shattering if dropped. The ability to flex absorbing and distributing some of the impact force. That’s their theory on it, how effective it is in real world situations compared to laboratory conditions...well, that’s up for argument.
I’ve personally never designed glass, so I’ll take their word for it. I’ve only ever had to know it’s tolerances when I was training to be an architect, which was a while ago. Damn I’m getting old :p

My drop count on my own iPad has gone up to 12 now. Damn nerve damage. Thankfully it’s still undamaged. But I’ll be a lot happier when it’s skin gets here.

Logic and common sense isn’t welcome here, you should know that.

Off with you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.