New iPad owner (coming from android) - not another thread...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DL16, Jul 20, 2012.

1. DL16 macrumors member

Well after three generations I finally bit the bullet and bought the new iPad. I have been an iOS owner many years ago with the iPod touch, but this is my first foray into the newer generations of ios. Being a steady tech news follower and fan of new devices, I figured I would share some thoughts.

First, about me, I am 30 years old and I have been on android os for about 2.5 years now. I decided to go the iPad route for a couple main reasons. First, the iPad form factor. I spent a little time a Best Buy and played around with the various tablets on display. I REALLY wanted to like the android tablets going in. I had read tons about the Transformers and was somewhat leaning that way. I was disappointed when I picked them up though mostly due to e 16:9 form factor. In landscape it's fine for general media consumption, but I felt like that was really the only useful orientation. In portrait, it felt awkward and unwieldy. I am using my tablet for work and I'd like to be able to read journal articles on it. The 4:3 of the iPad makes way more sense for that type of usage. 4:3 simulates the page of a magazine much more closely than 16:9 and it makes sense if you want to use your tablet for reading purposes. If I were only watching movies and playing games, I think the 16:9 would actually be very nice.

My next gripe with the android tablets was the lag. I kind of expected it after reading reviews for the past year or two. They just haven't figured out how to make a smooth experience yet on the android platform for tablets. Blah. N7 maybe changes that. Maybe.

Last, after looking at the new iPad screen, it's pretty tough to go back and use an android tablet screen. They just aren't up to snuff yet on the overall appearance. The retina display is gorgeous, and frankly I'd rather use a more pleasant display. It absolutely affects the experience you have with a device.

With all the negatives stated about the android devices, i gotta say, the iPad hasn't been all roses either. I do have a few complaints. First is the os (ya, I know). I've been using a Galaxy Nexus since the first day it came out and I am absolutely in love with it. Honestly, I have no idea how you apple fans defend the iPhone anymore. It's an inferior device in many ways. Google has been innovating, apple has been stagnant. I've been gone from ios for 2.5 years, and I didn't miss a whole lot. I came back and everything looks EXACTLY the same. They haven't changed, well, anything. Yes, they've done a lot of under the hood work, but for the most part, it feels kind off dry and boring to be back. Ice cream sandwich is a superior os for mobile computing. There, I said it.

Another observation about the amazing iPad - it also lags! Yes, scrolling on the home screen is absolutely smooth, but who cares?! There aren't any widgets to enjoy anyways. And one of the most shocking discoveries so far has been that the Facebook app lags like crazy! We at talking about one of, if not, THE most used app in the entire App Store, and it sucks. I was totally shocked. For as much **** that is tossed at android for lagging, it blows my mind that the iPad is also a lagger. In addition, I've managed to get more than a couple force closes while playing with various apps. This has happened while browsing the web or listening to music. iOS is far from perfect.

At this point I'm not totally sold on the iPad. I have 30 days to figure it out. I'm definitely a fan of the hardware. I really wish I could get the same hardware with some jelly bean, but that ain't gonna happen. The app ecosystem is probably a bit nicer on the iOS side, but I've never felt deprived on my Gnex, and I think that's becoming a weaker argument against android every day.

I typed all of this up from my shiny new iPad. The keyboard isn't half bad!

Cheers

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Facebook understands their app does not perform up to par.

iOS appears stagnant but it's anything but. The difference between iOS and Android is pretty simple. Apple knows how to manage 3rd party developers and Google does not.

Think about Jelly Bean features being hyped. How does this developers create better apps?

iOS 6.0 is boring....until you get into an updated app and then it'll be evident where the work went.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

If you thought the Facebook app was bad, stay away from Apple's Podcast app. It's pretty bad. I also came from Android and still use both. I like each platform for what it brings to the table.

The iPad on screen keyboard is the best unless you decide to go with a physical keyboard.

I give my iPad experience a solid 8.5 but I still enjoy Android and Jelly Bean is sweet. You have 30 days to decide. As the previous poster mentioned apps for iOS are tailored to the iPhone and iPad whereas with Android apps are usually one size fits all.

4. DL16 thread starter macrumors member

Good to read about the FB app, although that sounds more like an iPhone revamp than anything else. I would think the iPad version would require some additional work, but perhaps they will still release them together.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say that apple does a better job of managing their 3rd party developers. How does Google mismanage them exactly? There is so much overlap in the two app markets , I think it would be hard to clearly show how one is managing better than another. Apple does have a tighter strangle hold on what gets approved in their market, but that just seems like more of a nuisance to developers than anything else.

What's the ETA on ios6? My iPad says its software is up to date...

5. Skika macrumors 68030

6. jdsipod macrumors member

Currently you can enroll in the Developer program for $99 and get the iOS 6 beta for your iPad or wait until they release it for the public (a.k.a free). At WWDC they said iOS 6 would be released in the fall, some of the rumors are around the release of the new iPhone, which could be in September or even October.

7. DL16, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012

DL16 thread starter macrumors member

Ya... not really. Just was bored and wanted to share some thoughts. I felt like I gave some positives and negatives to be fair. Overall I'm liking the iPad, just a few frustrations. Feel free to put me down for that, but I posted this more for the sake of conversation, which is exactly the point of discussing things on a forum like Macrumors. I did put a warning in the thread title, but you still clicked on it.

8. ucfgrad93, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is nice to have choices. Only you can decide what best fits your needs. What is best for you may not be best for others. Enjoy your new iPad, and good luck figuring out what best meets your needs.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I've barely touched my iPad since I got mine. I'll still keep it though, since I might use it when I start taking a full schedule at school. But at the moment, I havent.

10. yang88she macrumors regular

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The Facebook improvements should be across both devices. When you're large like Facebook it's often desirable to write code that is portable across platforms. I think they may have gotten burned on this and realize they have to leverage some unique technology for speed.

Apple clearly has more of a developer focus. I'll explain

Apple doesn't care that their UI is getting long in the tooth. Their primary focus is to not have you engaged with the OS but rather the apps. This is likely why they don't do widgets nor will they spend much effort on adding too many things to Notification Center. They focus on the experience once you get into an app and to that end they focus a large majority of their features in the OS on making apps better.

There's a reason why even the same apps across both platforms look better on iOS. Apple puts in the work to allow developers to really craft their apps.

This doesn't come by accident. Google is a web company that bought Android and is managing it as best as they can but Apple has been supporting 3rd parties since the 80's and their experience shows. Apple developers have more tools to work with to deliver great apps.

Apple isn't going to tout how many free apps are available. They want great apps that are worth the money.

12. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I also own both android & ios devices. The Facebook app is all about equality, it provides a sucky end user experience across ALL platforms.

13. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Another Android user here...

I was interested in this thread because I'm also an Android user. It's not necessarily by choice, because I'm currently a senior undergrad and have been paying for school and haven't had money to invest in a costly major cell carrier with the iPhone. Because of that, I was led to the Motorola Atrix (a solid, cheaper smartphone I bought from craigslist) and set up a prepaid plan with Red Pocket, which utilizes the AT&T network. Like you, I have cultivated a love for Andriod. Google has made great strides in the tech world recently. The customizablility, flexibility, and unique-ness that comes out of my Android phone makes me a happy user.

However, I'm keeping a close eye on the tablet market, spending a few days here and there reading up and comparing tablets like the iPad, Nexus 7, Galaxy Tab, etc. Every time I've glanced at them, I always feel like I'm drawn to the iPad. Like you, I owned an iPod Touch since Jan. 2009 and sold it last autumn because it was becoming slow and obsolete. The fact that I've been accustomed to the early stages of iOS makes me excited to experience the new features in iOS 6. I've heard lots of good news about the iPad compared to other tablets (though the Nexus 7 has gotten some recognition recently). And of course, there are always glitches and gripes that come with every piece of technology, including the iPad.

I am probably going to buy a tablet in Q2 2013, just when I'm about graduated from school. It will probably be an iPad, but I don't expect the iPad to revolutionize what I use for mobile tech products, so I won't be switching from my Android phone.

So I'm sure you own an Android phone, right? How does it feel to have the iPad and an Android device at the same time?

14. DL16 thread starter macrumors member

Yup. I own a galaxy nexus.

So far I've only been back in the iOS game for a few days. Feels pretty good to be back I guess. The iPad apps I've been playing with are sick. I think I would miss them if I had gone android for the tablet. Hard to say though, since I haven't gotten to play much with an android tablet other than in best buy.

As of now I feel pretty confident that I have the best of both worlds. The best phones out today run android, and the best tablets run iOS. I can interact just fine between the two because of apps like Dropbox, Evernote, Google services, etc. Until apple puts a phone out with a 4+ inch screen and LTE, they are forever locked in the dark ages. iPhone 4s people seriously have no idea what they are missing.

15. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

I agree with your observations on iOS, I never used an Android before but I've seen hands on reviews on youtube.

Nexus 7 with JB, Project Butter and without the carrier and manufacturer crap on top of the OS, is running as smooth as iOS from the looks of it. Hopefully Google will release more of their tablet line in time and keep Android eco-system at least for their devices consistent so that can developers can develop more unified and better apps for it.

I agree with iOS being so stale, I've been using it ever since first iPhone, and it is still the same except say few copied features from jailbreak tweaks and Android.

I'm thinking of buying a tablet, specifically Nexus 7 but the availability of apps and quality of them scare me to make a purchase.

Please let us know how what you decide, I'd like to know:)

PS. And those of you keep harassing people just because they talk about android, GTFO of the threads that they mention "android" and stop complaining.

16. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Sure. When this site become AndroidRumors.com. Until then we have every right to complain.

17. 62tele macrumors 6502a

No, really you are!

You must not have looked very deeply into iOS changes over the past two years because there are plenty. Android has very nice features no doubt but it's just different not necessarily better. There's nothing you can do on your android that I can't do on an iOS device and vice versa.

If JB or ICS is so superior buy a Galaxy or a Nexus 7!

18. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Lots of replies already, but I need to say for emphasis - the Facebook app sucks. It's not the fault of the iPad. It's the coding of the app. Use the mobile website (m.facebook.com) instead. Way, way faster.

Facebook's app sucks even on my Galaxy S3. Android or iOS, the Facebook app is terrible.

19. DL16 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, whatever. I'm a troll.

I'm actually really enjoying my iPad. I bought one because the tablet hardware and app ecosystem is nicer than any android offerings at this time. I've had it now for a few days and I'm liking it more every day. Apple has really nailed the experience. I don't think the same can be said for the smartphone market, and that's what I stated in my first post.

Oh, and I probably will pick up an N7 at some point in the future. For now, I wanted a full size tablet, and for me the best one was the iPad.

20. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

just curious as to what iphone 4s people are "seriously" missing?

21. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Personally, I definitely don't need my iPad. If I had to give up one of my iPhone, iPad or MacBook Pro, it would have to be the iPad, no question. I can't do without a phone, and I can't do my work without a Mac/PC.

That said, when I come home in the evening, it's always the iPad I pick up. Open the Remote app, play some music thru my sound system. Then maybe launch a game, or check the TV listings, or browse a news app.

Text entry, for me, is still the big bugbear; but if I'm just relaxing and consuming, it's perfect.

22. kokhean macrumors regular

Is it jailbroken? It really makes a huge difference in terms of features.

And yes, the Facebook app takes a few seconds to launch. It will then proceed to freeze and lag, before becoming usable. Until it crashes.

23. DL16 thread starter macrumors member

Just chiming back in to my own thread.

So far so good. Really enjoying my iPad. It's an awesome device and coming from android I am definitely pleased. The screen is ridiculous. I compared it to my coworkers iPad 2 last week and it's night and day difference. Not sure how anyone could still consider the 2 when the retina display is such a huge leap.

Other cool things. I love the multi finger gestures! I didn't know about them and I think they are a huge improvement for the device. Everything is mostly fluid. I downloaded Goodreader and Notability for work. They're cool apps, but I'm still deciding on their usefulness.

I still have a few issues after 2 weeks of usage...

I'm REALLY missing the app drawer of android. I don't like seeing every single app I've downloaded on the home screens. The home screens are more useful when you can leave apps out that are regularly used, instead of every single one you have in the device. Yes, I have folders set up, but it's still not as convenient. On OSX you don't have every single program on the desktop. I don't see why apple is still doing it this way after 5 years of iOS.

I'm also missing a native file tree structure. It makes keeping track of documents a challenge. I have been getting around that via apps like dropbox and notability, but it's not ideal IMO.

The gmail app has been a little spotty. I know there is a native mail app, but I'm not a huge fan. For some reason I keep getting logged out of my gmail account in the app. Kind of annoying. The integration of gmail with android is far better...

That's all for now. No device is perfect and to each his own. I'll be keeping the iPad till android figures something else out. The n7 isn't big enough for full time.

24. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

I've got an iPad and a N7, I like them both, but the n7 does feel like a giant phone, not so much a tablet, it's too small to be a tablet, it's more like a giant phone, or a souped up e-reader. Features might be the same but at 7", your hand don't shrink down with the device hence it won't give you the same tablet xperience as a larger device.

Whilst iOS is stagnant in interface, the non technical crowd don't seem to care, and just want something that works and is reliable, with a decent app market, which iOS is.

For those who like to tinker, there's android (which is why I have both). Quality of apps (while changing) does seem to favour iOS currently. Developers are more likely to make money out of ios then the geek crowd on the android market place (who expect everything for free ;), hence the effort is placed to make the apps for ios, despite apples draconian rule set.

25. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Although it may not be the right choice for everyone, I think the Android phone and iOS tablet configuration is the best. You get the apps on a nice screen when your relaxing and when your out and about you get customization for quick acess to apps and information when you need it quickly. Going to defiantly get a Nexus phone when my phone plan runs out soon, and either get an iPad mini of Apple releases one or a Nexus 7. I saw a Bezus 7 in my hands the other day and was amazed about how smooth it is and how nice a 7" tablet feels in the hand and it's awesome price. I truly think pure Android is alottttt nicer then all theae manufacturing themes like Sense and Touchwiz. Theres my 10 cents.

----------

Also I may aswell ask now. Will the HTC one x and the Samsung galaxy S3 get Google Now? When the get upgraded to Jelly Bean? Or only on the Galaxy Nexus. Better ask now because if I make a thread about it I'll get killed by the Apple fanboys. Hehe.