Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
Makes zero sense to buy this. Apple has the Air 4 in their refurbished store for $20 more.
when you don't quote, i have NO idea what you are referring to you. I'd like to be a mind reader, but I'm not.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
If you are getting one, enjoy! Always exciting.

I’m going to get a 5th gen air. Miss the size.
I just ordered a 5th gen iPad Air too -- it comes today.

I had a really hard time deciding with this lineup of iPads. If the 10th gen iPad had 2nd gen Apple Pencil support then I might have opted to save a little money. But the Air seemed like the best for the price option. Obviously, the Pro is really nice and has all the bells and whistles, but the only one I think I will truly miss in the ProMotion variable refresh rate up to 120Hz -- everything else is an upgrade form my 2017 10.5-inch iPad Pro. Part of me really just wanted to pay $100 to have Apple put a new battery in my old iPad Pro and use it for another year.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Makes zero sense to buy this. Apple has the Air 4 in their refurbished store for $20 more.
Yeah -- the Air 4 is a better piece of hardware unless you prefer a landscape FaceTime camera and Apple Pencil 1 with a USB-C to Lightning adapter.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
My 2017 iPad pro is still enough for me.

Maybe next year will be the upgrade year.

I was going to do the same thing (just replace my battery).... then Costco was running an online deal where if you spent $3000 you got a $500 shop card. They had the MacBook Pro my wife wanted to replace her 2014 15-inch MBP for $350 off ($100 cheaper than Amazon). So we pulled the trigger on that and added the iPad Air 5th gen to the order to take it over $3000. With essentially $500 off (because we spend that easily at Costco in groceries each month) the iPad Air became a lot cheaper. We decided we would give my old iPad Pro to my daughter who recently became interested in digital art via ProCreate (she keeps asking to borrow my iPad Pro 10.5).

Reactions: Andronicus

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Somethings clearly happening. That $240 keyboard hasn’t been developed to just work with one iPad.

Personally I think next October you’ll see the Air discontinued, an 11th gen iPad with a laminated screen as it’s replacement , and this years 10th gen iPad kept with a price drop (and possibly named the iPad SE). The budget 9th gen iPad will then be discontinued. New Pros will then follow with OLED in early 2024.

What then happens with the Pencil? I feel they’ll move to have the magnetic Pencil be exclusive to the Pro with a redesigned smaller Pencil with USB C connector being used by the iPad and iPad SE.
Yeah, the whole first gen pencil with lightning connector going through a dongle just seems rushed. I think for most people buying the basic iPad it’s not going to be an issue because they don’t use the pencil but for someone who wants the pencil I don’t see them buying this.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
no? air was just updated…
I mean like next year. This thing is too expensive to be a base model iPad, but it lacks features like a laminated screen and second gen Apple Pencil support to make it an upgraded version. I think that’s why they’re keeping the old one still around. I don’t think this one is going to be a big seller. I think it’s just a stepping stone to a future product.

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
I mean like next year. This thing is too expensive to be a base model iPad, but it lacks features like a laminated screen and second gen Apple Pencil support to make it an upgraded version. I think that’s why they’re keeping the old one still around. I don’t think this one is going to be a big seller. I think it’s just a stepping stone to a future product.
huh? you talking about the new air or new "base" model with new design? the air has a laminated display. it's got some of the premium pro features but not all

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
huh? you talking about the new air or new "base" model with new design? the air has a laminated display. it's got some of the premium pro features but not all
The new base model. The Air supports second gen Apple Pencil, and has a laminated display.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
To all who are purchasing one - enjoy your new device.
Exactly, its a nice iPad, with some nice upgrades over the iPad-9, for people who don't prioritize the pencil. Have you noticed that the people most wound-up over the iPad-10's pencil are those who would buy the iPad Air instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.