New iPad Pro Models May Be Prone to Bending

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's new 11 and 12.9-inch models are its thinnest yet, measuring in at just 5.9mm, and both forum complaints and a new bend test video suggest the two devices have the potential to bend without a huge amount of force.

On the MacRumors forum, there have been a few complaints of bending from MacRumors readers. Forum member Bwrin1, for example, posted a photo of a bent 12.9-inch iPad Pro suggesting it had bent from just a weekend trip in a backpack.

[​IMG]

The iPad Pro in question does indeed appear to have a curve to it, refusing to lay flat on a table. At the same time, YouTuber JerryRigEverything has posted a bend test video of the new iPad Pro, which indicates it has the potential to bend with a limited amount of force.

In the video, the iPad Pro snaps in half after what appears to be a moderate amount of pressure is applied to the device.

Despite the video and the forum complaint, this does not appear to be a widespread issue. There are a couple of other complaints from MacRumors readers who were seeing slight curves in their devices and received replacements or sent the tablet back, but there aren't complaints that match the complaints we saw back in 2014 with the original iPhone 6 Plus bendgate.

It's not clear if the new iPad Pro models are more or less bendable than previous devices, and bend tests are not reflective of real world usage conditions. All devices of this size will bend when enough force is applied, so it is no surprise to see the bend in the YouTube video.

If the new iPad Pro models are bending from regular use, that could be a more significant issue, and we'll need to keep an eye out for additional reports of bending to determine whether there's a serious problem with Apple's newest tablet.

Article Link: New iPad Pro Models May Be Prone to Bending

2. radio893fm macrumors regular

3. kevmclane macrumors regular

kevmclane

Apple released their folding display before Samsung ;)

4. macjoshua macrumors 6502

5. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

When you bend things they bend. When you scratch things they scratch.

6. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Until its on Unbox Threapy I just don't know if its true.

7. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

8. Larvas macrumors member

Larvas

If someone would ask me to write out the timeline of Apple news, gates and products the only thing I would need is to go through their history and just copy paste everything for the future.

9. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

10. busuan macrumors member

If you can bend a wrench, you can bend an iPad.

11. zhu- macrumors newbie

Anybody know if these iPads use that 6000 series aluminum?

12. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

well sometimes it shouldn’t be all about being the thinnest. I’d take some curvey one with a bigger b... attery over it any time of the day.

Apples QC is getting out of the window

13. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

14. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

It's 10x more hilarious every time someone says this. Especially because that's not even a real quote.

15. Pelea, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018

Pelea macrumors 6502

Anyone who bends their iPad doesn’t deserve an iPad in the first place!! It’s an iPad not a chocolate bar! Apple can make it as rigid (OR not rigid) as they want, just stop bending it!

16. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

Bends no more than previous models, my 12.9 gen 1 bent top to bottom, I just bent it back. No big deal, was my fault it bent anyways.

17. Quicklite macrumors regular

Apple: re-inventing one new accessory category at a time.

From the iPhon 4 Bumper, to the anti-slip case for the iPhone 6, now - reinforced chassis case for the iPad. Because you're worth it.

18. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

you spelled "folding" wrong.

19. Kestrel452, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018

Kestrel452 macrumors regular

After using Apple products for almost 30 years....I am done.

I am tired of paying $3k-4k for a middling laptop, I am done dealing with phones (and now tablets) that pursue thinness over function, I am done supporting a company that doesn't even exert the effort to keep their "pro" products up to spec, and I am so over them purposely making everything non user-replaceable/upgradable while charging prohibitively expensive prices for upgrade options...

They made the iPad Pro so damn thin that the camera lens protrudes pretty far out, and they couldn't even put an audio jack on it. This is the end result, an expensive toy that bends like a piece of cardboard. What's more, his scratch tests on the display and camera lens reveal that Apple isn't even using materials of a high enough quality to be commensurate with the price.

20. fokmik macrumors 68030

like i said, the last year 10.5" was bending a lot easier but due to the smaller footprint was never an issue for the users
    But because now even the 12.9" is so much thinner....it will cause some bending issues, the 11" should be fine

21. mutelight macrumors newbie

mutelight

Yup, a few weeks ago I put my 10.5" iPad Pro on my home office desk and realized it was notably bent. Gently bent it back and it was back to normal.

Just checked my 12.9" 3rd gen and it is fine so far but I've been more careful since then.

22. kurosov macrumors 6502a

potential for bending if you're acting like a ******* isn't something i'm worried about.

I do feel strange seeing the display flex though as my older iPads were solid in comparison.

23. Quicklite, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018

Quicklite macrumors regular

This is another case in point: showing that Apple under Mr Cook is more flexible*.

(*in all aspects, except for the price - the price is reinforced with titanium these days, it would appear)

24. jacobh101 macrumors regular

The fact that he doesn't wear gloves bothers me the most.

25. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Tbh, being able to snap an iPad in half with your bare hands is pretty shocking.