Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Wasn't there some test showing the adapter already sounding worse than what previous iPhones were capable?
Besides, I hope the adapters support inline cable remotes.

Not that your ears could likely hear.

If you understand German you can read Heise's tests on the Adapter here: https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/iPh...apter-liefert-schlechteren-Sound-3325932.html

They do point out that the audio quality measured with the 6S and iPad Air is better, but of course it depends on what one listens to.
And going wireless means another reduction in sound quality depending on what solution one aims for. Ultimately that's where we all would like to go, but for me not at the cost of less quality.
21st century, we should demand the best in technology, not any more of this "good enough" attitude.

There have been other tests as well, in English, with similar results. But the lower sound quality is negligible.

Again, people need to realize that what's being discussed is audio from a mobile phone, usually in an environment, and on a pair of headphones, that compromises sound quality anyway. While those specs can be measured on digital equipment, I would challenge any "audiophile" to discern the difference in a double-blind listening test.

We're almost 6 months into this thing ... If there were a serious difference in sound quality, we would have all heard about it by now, and through something more mainstream than an obscure German audio blog.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I appreciate the suggestion but if I remember to put the dongle on my car keys after using it each time I'm likely to remember to put it in a safe place in the first place. It's just an awkward workaround that I'm thankfully not going to experience for at least another 2 years.
But remembering to put it in a safe place could be anywhere, and it means you don't always have it with you. If you put it on your keychain, you'd know exactly what to do when you finish using it and you'll always have it with you, vs. just putting it somewhere safe at home.

It was just a suggestion, though.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
But remembering to put it in a safe place could be anywhere, and it means you don't always have it with you. If you put it on your keychain, you'd know exactly what to do when you finish using it and you'll always have it with you, vs. just putting it somewhere safe at home.

It was just a suggestion, though.
Yeah great in theory but I'm not that good remembering to do stuff like that. I've got about a dozen sets of headphones at home and at work. It's rare I don't stumble across a set and I've lost and broken many. I'd need to buy quite a few of these adapters as it would quickly get destroyed on my key ring with the amount of keys I have and the fact it regularly gets wet. I'll stick with the current method of a headphone jack for now. It's a no hassle solution that doesn't really need to be phased out.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
plain and simple facts sound quality via any form of Bluetooth besides aptXHD does not equal the sound quality that can be transmitted. Via 3.5mm jack.

That being said I understand the reasoning for deleting the 3.5mm jack on phones for a larger Taptic Vibration motor. But on an iPad ? We have plenty of space.

Unless Apple is brining 3D Touch to iPads because look at the new MacBook Pros with the Touchbar the Trackpad is Massive and has a Taptic feedback motor to simulate clicks.

It's possible they could add that to an iPad. I for one would gladly give up the 3.5mm Jack in exchange for 3D Touch.
That isn't completely true, if the audio is already in a format supported by the Bluetooth headphones you are using (like AAC), then the iPhone will just transmit the file without any re-encoding.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Why does everyone ignore the adapter that ships with every iPhone? Don't like bluetooth? Don't use it. And I reject any notion that the adapter is some kind of horrible hardship.

Because there are some of us who like to charge while watching videos. My wife watches videos at night before falling asleep and wants her phone charging while headphones are plugged in. So we have to buy yet another adapter to charge and listen to audio at the same time.

Reactions: craig1024

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I've been using only wireless headphones for about two years now so this wouldn't personally affect me, however I'd use the adapter in the rare cases I'd use a headphone with a wire.

My Solo 3s can use a headphone jack and I recent purchased a 4 foot lightning to aux cable from eBay for rare instances where battery might be an issue. (As an aside it's not MFI certified but I figured it wouldn't matter since it's not for charging (?)

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
This obsession to make the iPad thinner and lighter is silly and counterproductive.

I'm waiting for Apple to put some decent battery life back in...
The iPad already gets "decent" battery life. It's not as great as it used to be, but for me, it's still more than enough and that's fine with me. As long as battery life doesn't get worse than it already is, I would love to see even thinner, and especially lighter.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I'm not sure if they will take away the headphone jack from the iPad just yet, i think it is coming tho. What i'm more interested in tho is what they are going to do to the next iPad? redesign? 3D Touch would be nice and bringing the true tone to the 12.9" iPad Pro would be great.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I personally feel Apple may not include the 3.5 Jack on the new iPad for obvious reasons. If they do include it, it will draw some serious heat. And not including the Jack, allows for other features possibly to be included and a portal for Apple to continue to push the Airpods.

I disagree with that notion AND your definition of the word "obvious".
Did they remove it from the MBP?? No. No they did not. Because there's plenty of room & no benefit.
You painting Apple as a company that does NOT make business decisions, & instead asks like a petulant toddler w/ a vendetta against headphones jacks has no basis in reality.
Reasons/tradeoffs from iPhone 7:
1)proximity to new, larger TapticEngine caused issue; no other place to put it
2)allowed for longest lasting iPhone EVER by making room for battery
3)aided in water resistance by removing point of ingress
These are all facts. These aren't flimsy "excuses"... these things really happened!
NONE of these reasons work on iPad... the extra battery allowed on a device that size would net like an extra 10 minutes, if they did add multiple TapticEngines, there's much more room, & lastly- you do NOT bring your iPad with you everywhere like you do your iPhone & as such, there is no clamoring for increased water resistance.
So...... in a nutshell: they are not removing the headphone jack from the next gen iPad. No reason. No evidence.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I disagree with that notion AND your definition of the word "obvious".
Did they remove it from the MBP?? No. No they did not. Because there's plenty of room & no benefit.
You painting Apple as a company that does NOT make business decisions, & instead asks like a petulant toddler w/ a vendetta against headphones jacks has no basis in reality.
Reasons/tradeoffs from iPhone 7:
1)proximity to new, larger TapticEngine caused issue; no other place to put it
2)allowed for longest lasting iPhone EVER by making room for battery
3)aided in water resistance by removing point of ingress
These are all facts. These aren't flimsy "excuses"... these things really happened!
NONE of these reasons work on iPad... the extra battery allowed on a device that size would net like an extra 10 minutes, if they did add multiple TapticEngines, there's much more room, & lastly- you do NOT bring your iPad with you everywhere like you do your iPhone & as such, there is no clamoring for increased water resistance.
So...... in a nutshell: they are not removing the headphone jack from the next gen iPad. No reason. No evidence.

First off, no need to personally attack my post, as you have to other forum members on here in the past, where your debates get the moderators involved for reasons above. Reply with facts, not attacks. Decorum is key.

Back on topic: It's my opinion what Apple might do. But even so, you have no evidence supporting that they won't remove the Jack on the future iPad. No one does. If they do remove it, then as I stated before, perhaps they can or will implement features in place. Again, you don't know what they have in store. And for a second time, Apple will take some heat knowing the ramifications.

And I'm not necessarily advocating that the 3.5 Jack should be deleted. I'm just simply quoting what Apple may or may not follow based on the path of removing a 3.5 jack on the iPhone.

So, in theory, your notion is no greater than Mine, because you have no evidence supporting what Apple will release in March or what features will be supported.

Reactions: bensisko

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
First off, no need to personally attack my post, as you have to other forum members on here in the past, where your debates get the moderators involved for reasons above. Reply with facts, not attacks. Decorum is key.

Back on topic: It's my opinion what Apple might do. But even so, you have no evidence supporting that they won't remove the Jack on the future iPad. No one does. If they do remove it, then as I stated before, perhaps they can or will implement features in place. Again, you don't know what they have in store. And for a second time, Apple will take some heat knowing the ramifications.

So, in theory, your notion is no greater than Mine, because you have no evidence supporting what Apple will release in March or what features will be supported.

Lol, what???
I politely stated that I disagree with you.
This is a debate forum. While I (vaguely) apologize if you were somehow offended that I disagreed with you. I clearly did NOT attack you or your character in any way, shape, or form.
Indeed, YOU are the one that just made a bullying personal attack, referencing my post history, etc.
I do NOT appreciate that & would encourage you to please go back & edit that out!

Back on topic:
Again, I must disagree sir.
Both with your theory, AND the idea that both our ideas have equal merit.
Allow me to explain:
You are claiming that you believe Apple will remove the headphone jack from a MUCH larger device that would give none of the three REAL WORLD benefits that it did in the iPhone 7. That is to say; you believe Apple will remove it "just because", or to "show the world you don't need no handy dang headphone jack, no matter how room we got for it", or whatever. You believe that they are afraid of someone making jokes about one having it & not the other; and feel that they are a thin-skinned company, that will make decisions, not based on the physics of space constraints, and the possible benefits (as they JUST did with the iPhone 7), but rather based on being embarrassed if someone "gives them flack", as you put it.
I posit that this is ludicrous & offer a SOLID example to refute your theory:
If your theory was true.... and they were digging in their heels and refusing to put in headphone jacks from iPhone 7 forward, despite the size and room for them; the new MacBook Pros would have been sans headphone jack!!!! Clearly, they are NOT making decisions simply to be petty.
Further..... they justified the removal in the iPhone 7 (as I stated) with the 3 benefits of battery life, added water resistance, and room for greatly improved taptics. So, knowing that they would have NONE of those as justifications this time, it further stretches the credulity that they would come out & say: "ummm, we had a list of reasons and benefits why we did this last time, to keep people from getting angered, and would continue to buy our products... this time we have no such reasons or benefits... we don't care about losing money; you've seen we just left it in, in a product larger than the iPhone, we are taking it out here, against all business logic- just to be obstinate".
I just can't wrap my head around your notion! I do not believe it to be well conceived.
To clarify: please do not be offended- I'm sure we agree on many, many things! My disagreement with you on this minor issue is not any kind of an attack.
Enjoy your day.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Lol, what???
I politely stated that I disagree with you.
This is a debate forum. While I (vaguely) apologize if you were somehow offended that I disagreed with you. I clearly did NOT attack you or your character in any way, shape, or form.
Indeed, YOU are the one that just made a bullying personal attack, referencing my post history, etc.
I do NOT appreciate that & would encourage you to please go back & edit that out!

Back on topic:
Again, I must disagree sir.
Both with your theory, AND the idea that both our ideas have equal merit.
Allow me to explain:
You are claiming that you believe Apple will remove the headphone jack from a MUCH larger device that would give none of the three REAL WORLD benefits that it did in the iPhone 7. That is to say; you believe Apple will remove it "just because", or to "show the world you don't need no handy dang headphone jack, no matter how room we got for it", or whatever. You believe that they are afraid of someone making jokes about one having it & not the other; and feel that they are a thin-skinned company, that will make decisions, not based on the physics of space constraints, and the possible benefits (as they JUST did with the iPhone 7), but rather based on being embarrassed if someone "gives them flack", as you put it.
I posit that this is ludicrous & offer a SOLID example to refute your theory:
If your theory was true.... and they were digging in their heels and refusing to put in headphone jacks from iPhone 7 forward, despite the size and room for them; the new MacBook Pros would have been sans headphone jack!!!! Clearly, they are NOT making decisions simply to be petty.
Further..... they justified the removal in the iPhone 7 (as I stated) with the 3 benefits of battery life, added water resistance, and room for greatly improved taptics. So, knowing that they would have NONE of those as justifications this time, it further stretches the credulity that they would come out & say: "ummm, we had a list of reasons and benefits why we did this last time, to keep people from getting angered, and would continue to buy our products... this time we have no such reasons or benefits... we don't care about losing money; you've seen we just left it in, in a product larger than the iPhone, we are taking it out here, against all business logic- just to be obstinate".
I just can't wrap my head around your notion! I do not believe it to be well conceived.
To clarify: please do not be offended- I'm sure we agree on many, many things! My disagreement with you on this minor issue is not any kind of an attack.
Enjoy your day.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply and opinion, which that's all it is, your opinion and nothing more. Aside from your long winded post, which is all anecdotal, You have no evidence supporting anything what the future iPad will be and what will happen. Fact. Just as I stated my opinion in my first post. Again, my post stands as is and yours isn't worth anymore than mine, As I stated previously. You can keep replying with whatever jargon you want, however, it's all subjective and unsupported until March.

Last edited:

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Thank you for your thoughtful reply and opinion, which that's all it is, your opinion and nothing more. Aside from your long winded post, which is all anecdotal, You have no evidence supporting anything what the future iPad will be and what will happen. Fact. Just as I stated my opinion in my first post. Again, my post stands as is and yours isn't worth anymore than mine, As I stated previously. You can keep replying with whatever jargon you want, however, it's all subjective and unsupported until March.

Fair enough!
I can live w/ "agree to disagree", as we clearly aren't going to change each other's minds.
For the record though... I would have been MORE than happy to be swayed; I practically begged you to give me even the slightest reasoning behind your guess.
The only thing you came up with... the "I think they'd get flack for NOT removing it" just doesn't ring true. Quite to the contrary, they caught flack for removing it from the iPhone & they had 3 compelling reasons! I think they would be CRUCIFIED for removing it from iPad with zero reasons. I'd be willing to entertain your guess, or at least consider it as reasonable as mine, if it had but even a skeleton of an explanation.
Like, what "tent poles" could they prop that decision matrix up with to soothe the irritated masses? What would their list of trade-offs be?
Without this piece... I feel like your opinion is a bit neutered.
I do freely admit that my guess is simply that as well;but at least backed up with a description of my thought process of how I arrived there- looking at the most recent decisions by Apple, official commentary from senior executives, and public opinion all weighed in my conclusion... I am still baffled how you arrived at yours.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
I forgot we even had one on the 12.9 Pro. I don't think I've ever used the headphone jack with it.

Same here, I don't think I've plugged anything into a headphone jack in a long long long time...

Andy847

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2016
Chicago Suburb
It really doesn't bother me, as someone said It tethers you to your device. I own a pair of LG Tone Pro Bluetooth Headphones for listening to music when I need it. Usually at Starbucks or at home when people are watching tv in my house. The sound quality sounds good to me.

Reactions: bensisko

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Apple should rid of 3.5 audio jack for 12.9 iPad Pro. I Don't know if musicians would need lighting jack if they are working on GarageBand app on 12.9 Pro?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Apple should rid of 3.5 audio jack for 12.9 iPad Pro. I Don't know if musicians would need lighting jack if they are working on GarageBand app on 12.9 Pro?

And to what benefit? There is plenty empty space in the current iPads already. Why do you want to make it more complicated for musicians?

Also since all laptops from Apple still have the port, it is not too far off to expect that the bigger iPad Pro devices will retain it too.

Last edited:

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
If you need a headphone jack then buy a tablet with one.
Here's an alternative.

Which misses the point he was trying to make. /* rolls eyes /

But whatever side you're on, I think it is destined to go away at some point.

To keep it would be a curious reflection on Apple's part...something which I'm inclined to think, they don't do anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: nighthawk67

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
And to what benefit? There is plenty empty space in the current iPads already. Why do you want to make it more complicated for musicians?

Also since all laptops from Apple still have the port, it is not too far off to expect that the bigger iPad Pro devices will retain it too.

Idk but I have seen too many musicians used MacBook Pro to make excellent music than using on an iPad

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Idk but I have seen too many musicians used MacBook Pro to make excellent music than using on an iPad

Alright, so which ports do musicians often use in their MacBook Pros that is also common on the iPad? There are tons of music creation apps and other special sound apps for iOS on the App Store these days. Just because we are used to see certain folks have laptops doesn't mean nobody uses anything else out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.