New iPad Pro Supports Wi-Fi 6, New MacBook Air Still Has 720p Webcam, and Other Tidbits

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced new iPad Pro and MacBook Air models today. We've compiled some smaller tidbits about each device below.

As with iPhone 11 models, the new iPad Pro supports Wi-Fi 6, aka 802.11ax. The newer standard delivers faster speeds, greater network capacity, improved power efficiency, lower latency, and connectivity improvements in areas with several Wi-Fi devices. Wi-Fi 6 devices must support WPA3, a Wi-Fi security protocol with improved cryptographic strength.

By comparison, the new MacBook Air still supports Wi-Fi 5, aka 802.11ac, and it also continues to have a lackluster 720p front-facing camera.

While the new MacBook Air has a lower $999 starting price, the notebook is even cheaper for those who qualify for an educational discount, with the base model starting at $899 for students and their parents, faculty, and even homeschool teachers of all grade levels, which is particularly interesting with many schools closed amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

MacRumors contributor Steve Moser has discovered glyphs in iPadOS 13.4 GM code that suggest users will be able to view the battery life of their Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, and other Bluetooth mice in the batteries widget of the Today view on the iPad, accessible by swiping right on the first page of the home screen. Apple announced that iPadOS 13.4 will gain trackpad support, with the software update to be released March 24.

As noted by Parker Ortolani on Twitter, one small change is that the Apple logo on the upcoming Magic Keyboard case for the iPad Pro is now horizontally positioned so that the logo appears upright when the iPad is used in landscape orientation.

Apple's new iPad Pro models now start with 128GB of storage, up from 64GB, and all higher storage tiers are now $50 cheaper. For example, an 11-inch iPad Pro with 256GB of storage and Wi-Fi only is now $899, whereas the equivalent 2018 model was $949. This price cut applies to all 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB storage tiers for the new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

Apple says the new LiDAR Scanner on the latest iPad Pro models improves the Measure app, making it faster and easier to automatically calculate someone's height, while helpful vertical and edge guides automatically appear to let users more quickly and accurately measure objects. The app is also gaining a Ruler View for more granular measurements.

A few tidbits we noted earlier include the upcoming Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro offering pass-through USB-C charging for accessories, and the new MacBook Air supporting up to a 6K external display, including Apple's Pro Display XDR.

Article Link: New iPad Pro Supports Wi-Fi 6, New MacBook Air Still Has 720p Webcam, and Other Tidbits

munpip214

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011

StudyFlo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
Hamburg, Germany

breather

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
I´m guessing that the last AirPort Extreme doesn't support WiFi 6?
What are good alternatives? Bare bones WiFi 6 routers that works well within the Apple eco system.

Reactions: mabhatter

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
why don't the laptops have Face ID? seems insane to me. its the perfect form factor for it. and the ancient cameras is nuts. its like "here's a nice new laptop full of old crippled tech"
the lid too thin...maybe the imacs will have

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Wags

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Will be curious to see actual performance gains besides camera upgrades from 2018 design. Especially if rumors turn out regarding Q4 IPP release.

Metrosey

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2019
The Macbook Air shouldn't be lacking WiFi ax, the fact it's integrated into the CPU and only requiring a small inexpensive RF chip shouldn't have stopped Apple from implementing it. I do wonder now if the Macbook 14 inch will get WiFI ax (especially if it's coming out in the next few weeks), I expect it will though.

Edit - It could have supported 32GB too, however, that will likely get saved for the 14 inch Macbook Pro

Last edited:

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
Looks like a nice iPad. I just bought a 256gb, Air 3 at Costco for $519, and it's fine for what I need. Actually, it's pretty awesome. So I'll probably just stick with that. But if I had an extra $300 lying around, I might do the Pro instead...or I might use that money to buy toilet paper and tacos!!

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
An i3 Mac, wow, how times has change. This will be super duper slow with next year macOS

BenLeong

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
Seattle
How is it that no one with journalistic or even consumer level access to Apple reps has gotten an official explanation from them yet as to why they continue to get away with putting extremely dated 720p camera tech into their computers? It’s flat out embarrassing—especially in an age where so many people video conference for work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.