New iPad Pro With Faster Display and Wider Support for Apple Pencil to Launch Next Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 29, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple is planning new hardware and software features for iPad that cater to professional users, according to Bloomberg, including a new iPad with faster display technology that allows for smoother on-screen zooming, panning, and scrolling.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo previously said Apple will release a 10.5-inch iPad Pro model next year alongside a 12.9-inch iPad Pro 2 and a "low-cost" 9.7-inch iPad model. The fate of the iPad mini remains uncertain, but it is presumable that Apple could discontinue the 7.9-inch tablet due to its lack of Apple Pencil support and relatively close proximity in size to 5.5-inch Plus-sized iPhones.

The new hardware will be completed by wider iOS support for the Apple Pencil, the report adds. Apple is reportedly planning to introduce the new software features in a subsequent iOS 10 update in the first half of 2017, but may decide to hold back on the improvements until iOS 11 is released later in the year.
    Apple saw its iPad revenue grow slightly for the first time in 10 quarters in July, and these improvements could help the company continue that trend.

Article Link: New iPad Pro With Faster Display and Wider Support for Apple Pencil to Launch Next Year

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

3. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

No, people still own older iPads. That work great and are waiting for a real good excuse to upgrade.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I was thinking the 7.9 Mini might be discontinued from the line up. Now this rumor seems to be more in line with that.

There is no doubt the iPad Pro needs to expand, hopefully in the area's where it will draw more of a line up worth upgrading too.

5. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Do you find yourself amusing?

6. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

I hope he does, few others do.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I'd really love to see newly updated iPad Mini's too. Though I'm not going to hold my breath for one at this point. :(

8. iClone macrumors regular

9. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

unless it's a big fat 13-15" model that comes with OSX, or a mini that's finally been upgraded & made compatible w/pencil, & the pencil works without a .5sec delay and isn't a tank and has a sensible charging solution...

oh forget it

10. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

This makes absolutely no sense to me. There's not enough size differential between the 9.7 and the 10.5 to justify that. What Apple needs to do is to simplify their offerings, not muddy up the water with a confusing array of devices that don't significantly differ. If this line-up actually happens, we'd have three different size iPads that each come in three color options and three storage options. That's TWENTY-SEVEN different iPads models! Then there's the iPhone SE with four colors and two storage options; the iPhone 6 and 6 plus; the 6s and 6s Plus each with four colors and three storage options. It makes my head spin.

Meanwhile, the Mac line is kept really simple because it's rarely updated.

11. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

Would be nice with more RAM and Apple Pencil support. But yeah, asking a bit too much for the entry price.

12. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Apple should be working on a way of building the pencil into the iPad body thus making it standard. Who wants to keep tabs on another accessory that could be forgotten?

13. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I don't get Apple. They devote the entire 2012 event to an outdated Mini (no retina which I can understand, but the A5 instead of the A6 for no real reason). Then they match Air and Mini 2 in 2013. They do NOTHING except add Touch ID for the 3 and now the 4 sits all alone with a special version of the A8.

Did the market for the Mini suddenly diminish? I find it hard to believe that large phones obliterated that audience.

14. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Well, thats too bad, I was hoping the iPad Pro 2 12.9 would be out by the end of November. Will save the cash and maybe get an Apple Watch 2 instead.

15. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I'm still looking for a good reason to buy one. With the initial purchase price it's like buying a cheap laptop that cannot be upgraded. I wouldn't care too much about the storage, but the 2GB of RAM, no thanks.

16. fivetoedbear macrumors member

I've got a 9.7" iPad Pro, and it's great for when I have to one-hand it while outdoors away from a desk. I love it! I've considered also getting the 12.9 for more area when I can afford the weight/size.

10.5"? That could be a case of "12.9 was too big for a lot of hand-held work, 9.7" was a little small for note taking, but 10.5" is just right!"

17. snowboarder macrumors 6502

Why to waste this beautiful device by putting the terrible phone OS on it???

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Apple's bone-headed decision to put an A5 into the mini has, from what I can see, had a horrible effect. My wife is constantly complaining about the lack of speed and glitches. Does she want another iPad? Yes but the mini hasn't inspired confidence in the product line for her. I can't complain my iPad 2 with an A5 is dreadfully slow as well.

You should see craigslist or other sites and the legions of people trying to sell their A5 minis off while they have a shred of value.

19. Sefstah macrumors 6502a

Give it a pencil and a larger screen and now its a "Pro"? Am I missing something? Drop the Pro name unless it can run Pro apps like Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, etc. iPad Pro, haha! Get outta here with that BS

20. bbbb4b macrumors 6502

bbbb4b

Oooh, thank god, because those current iPad Pros are so slow and laggy. :confused::confused:

21. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Well if they call it Pro perhaps you won't realize how weakly specc'd it is compared to a PC laptop and you'll spend your hard earned $$$

22. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

Don't let the iPad mini suffer the same fate as Harambe.

23. Low country macrumors 6502

Uhhh.....Didn't Cook say at launch that the iPad Pro caters to professional users? Are their two different types of "professional users" that I'm unaware of ?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 29, 2016 ---
    SAVE YOUR MONEY! I returned my iPad Pro and just use my MacBooks now, the iPad Pro was a bad joke.

24. RudySnow macrumors 6502

RudySnow

I don't believe an iPad is capable of dragging a little child through the canal of a gorilla exhibit... at least not the iPad Mini, anyway.

25. Tech198 macrumors G5

i don't get the discontinue the 7.9-inch just because of no Apple pencil but i can see 5.5-inch iPhone's would be 'better' to get.. since u can do the same stuff anyway + more at basically the same size