New iPad ruined Movie Theater Experience.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chaos123x, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I went to see a movie the other night after playing all week with my new iPad.

When the movie screen came on all I could think was, huh? is this really 4K?(the promo in begining said it was). The screen looked soft and muddy compared to what I was used to while using the iPad 3.

So during the whole film, instead of paying attention to the movie I just nitpicked the projection and critiqed the image quality.

I swear the 4K movie looked a whole lot worse than the beautiful retina display.

This happen to anyone else?

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Must have been that awful Eddie Murphy flick . . . .

3. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Kind of, my 15" MBP display looks horrible now. The new iPad has ruined my eyes, it is seriously difficult to look at anything else.

This should be in r/firstworldproblems.

4. Chaos123x thread starter macrumors 68000

The only thing I could think was they were playing a 2D movie but left the 3D mode on the projector. But I doubt it.

5. darngooddesign, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

darngooddesign macrumors G3

6. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I think a big HDTV + Blu-Ray ruined movie theatres for me, why pay money to see a movie which can be easily replicated in the comfort of your own home? So long as you don't mind waiting a few months for the movie to be released on Blu-Ray.

The only movie theatre I'll actively pay to see a movie in is IMAX because there's nothing comparable at home.

I agree with the OP though, the new iPad makes a lot of other displays suddenly less satisfying.

7. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I would never trade in my Avatar IMAX 3d experience. I had a tear in my eye within the first 5 minutes. But I still go to the movies just to get out the house and to give my kids something to do. The best thing I remember as a child was my mom taking me to see return of the Jedi. There are plenty of movies I regret not seeing in the theater.

8. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

After viewing reality with my eyes and acustomed to the 100k resolution, color and depth, I can't look at the new iPad screen because it looks lifeless, smeared, pixelized and tries to compensate for its lack of resolution with over exposed color saturation.

I wished I never used my eyes to look at reality and kept my eyes closed all these years until the new iPad was released.:(

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

We need to coin a term for this because it's real

[​IMG]

"you've been Retinized!"

10. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

LOL, the picture made that comment, lol. This needs to be turned into a meme immediately.

11. iEvolution macrumors 65816

The iPad screen is beautiful but it isn't so beautiful to ruin my Plasma TV with Blu-ray.

12. rob12770 macrumors member

led tv so much beeter than plasma..

----------

which one ? he's done so many ! :rolleyes:

13. iEvolution macrumors 65816

LED LCD doesn't TOUCH the color production of plasma. I bought it on a black friday for $400 and I've always got positive comments about how crisp and colorful the picture quality is.

Motion also looks more natural than it does on LCD. The LCDs with high refresh rates suffer from the "soap opera effect" in which the motion looks annoyingly artifical.

LCD was a better option in the beginning when plasma suffered from silly issues such as burn in and poor life but this flaw has been fixed as such my TV kicks on a screen saver if its left on a static screen as well as the pixel shifting technology it uses prevents burn in.

Only things LED holds over plasma (in my opinion) is a non-reflective screen making it better in light rooms and produces blacks better (considering it can turn off parts of the screen)

Color production is very high on a plasma as well which makes video games much richer than LED LCD.

This is just my opinion though.

14. TLewis macrumors 65816

Here ya go:

[​IMG]

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The projector was 4K but the source was 2K. We are still a couple of years to go before the DCI implements true 4K workflow to the theaters.

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I still prefer the huge screen at a movie theater over the 9.7 inch iPad 3 screen--by far. You're just in a honeymoon phase.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Agreed. Though I am not a true fan of going to the movies, I am not ruined by any iPad. Plus, pick a nicer theater. Some of them aren't using any updated tech so the picture is actually quite bad.

18. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

You must be joking. :confused:

I just bought a 60" plasma because the LEDs didn't come close to the image quality of the plasmas. Don't be fooled by screens in the showroom with the brightness level turned all the way up. Brightness does not equal better.

19. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

On a more serious note, the retina iPad has ruined the iPad 2 for me. My wife handed me her iPad 2 to read something and I was shocked how bad it looked, considering I absolutely loved the display on my iPad 1.

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Plasma's generally equal better blacks which really helps contrast. Love'em.

21. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Do plasmas still get awfully warm/hot? I know someone whose family member's house was burned down by a malfunctioning plasma tv.

22. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Yeah what's sad is the production of plasmas have been cut because of the initial bad reputation they had. It's too bad cause plasma is so more lively and colorful than LED LCD, not to mention the motion look natural while LCDs looks annoyingly artifical, when something moves it should have some blur in it not be absolutely clear.

----------

Yes they still get warm but it's been improved, many TVs have power settings that can reduce the power consumption making them less hot.

23. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

sounds like it could be an indie film or documentary released on youtube, where a hi-res camera is attached to a new iPad as the iPad's rear camera is used to record video and the display to provide the recorded video to the hi-res video camera. sounds ridiculous, but i bet it would make for an interesting project

"Life in Retina"

24. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

That's good to know, thank you. Not that we're in the market for a plasma around here, but I was always afraid of them because tvs tend to be on all day around here.

25. sixteen12 macrumors regular

I've been away for work for the past 3 months. What I miss the most is my plasma. Game of Thrones and Mad Men just aren't the same on the LCD tv in the hotel room.

Owning an iPad might force me to upgrade to a new Macbook Pro should it come with a retina display.