Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rob12770

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
Scotland U.K
LED LCD doesn't TOUCH the color production of plasma. I bought it on a black friday for $400 and I've always got positive comments about how crisp and colorful the picture quality is.

Motion also looks more natural than it does on LCD. The LCDs with high refresh rates suffer from the "soap opera effect" in which the motion looks annoyingly artifical.

LCD was a better option in the beginning when plasma suffered from silly issues such as burn in and poor life but this flaw has been fixed as such my TV kicks on a screen saver if its left on a static screen as well as the pixel shifting technology it uses prevents burn in.

Only things LED holds over plasma (in my opinion) is a non-reflective screen making it better in light rooms and produces blacks better (considering it can turn off parts of the screen)

Color production is very high on a plasma as well which makes video games much richer than LED LCD.

This is just my opinion though.
you dont know what your talking about..bollox.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
you dont know what your talking about..bollox.

Great intuitive counter argument chap. Sorry you're the one that hasn't a clue.

I own both in fact the Samsung is three times the price the plasma is and the plasma (cheap emerson)just kills the LCD. So really it's an insult to me that the plasma is better than the tv I paid three times as much for.

rob12770

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
Scotland U.K
Great intuitive counter argument chap. Sorry you're the one that hasn't a clue.

I own both in fact the Samsung is three times the price the plasma is and the plasma (cheap emerson)just kills the LCD. So really it's an insult to me that the plasma is better than the tv I paid three times as much for.

lol, your clueless :D

Astroturf777

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
On a more serious note, the retina iPad has ruined the iPad 2 for me. My wife handed me her iPad 2 to read something and I was shocked how bad it looked, considering I absolutely loved the display on my iPad 1.

Agree completely. iPad 2 needs full brightness to look any good after ipad3 (I also handed my iPad 2 to the wife...)

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
some people say im rude, but i just tell them to piss off..
oh and your link is ********, im for LED not LCD. dummy..

Hey everyone, look at the tough guy. He is real tough. Everyone be scared of him. He doesn't understand contractions, but he will say words he learned from a young age that will make you appear tough and manly and all sorts. It commands instant respect and obedience.

Since I'm not a reactionary posturing narcissist, I'll admit that there is some miscommunication in this thread. I was arguing for Plasma vs LCD and not LED Backlit LCD. But, for that argument you can go here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57344058-221/led-lcd-vs-plasma-vs-lcd/

Again, I have a huge room, so viewing angle is important. The room has plantation shutters, so getting it nice and dark is not an issue. For me, the contrast ratio and black levels make or break the picture. They are all close enough in color clarity that it wasn't enough of a deciding factor. I don't think iEvolution is 100% right, but at least I know how to counter with a valid, thought out argument rather then resorting to name calling.

rob12770

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
Scotland U.K
Hey everyone, look at the tough guy. He is real tough. Everyone be scared of him. He doesn't understand contractions, but he will say words he learned from a young age that will make you appear tough and manly and all sorts. It commands instant respect and obedience.

Since I'm not a reactionary posturing narcissist, I'll admit that there is some miscommunication in this thread. I was arguing for Plasma vs LCD and not LED Backlit LCD. But, for that argument you can go here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57344058-221/led-lcd-vs-plasma-vs-lcd/

Again, I have a huge room, so viewing angle is important. The room has plantation shutters, so getting it nice and dark is not an issue. For me, the contrast ratio and black levels make or break the picture. They are all close enough in color clarity that it wasn't enough of a deciding factor. I don't think iEvolution is 100% right, but at least I know how to counter with a valid, thought out argument rather then resorting to name calling.
blah blah blah..lol..:rolleyes:

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I'm struggling to see how watching a film on an iPad (whatever the resolution) can compare with watching a film projected onto a 20 foot screen.

Even my 1080p projector with a short throw and 95" screen projected on the wall creates a cinematic experience that can't be matched by a 10" iPad.

Would always prefer to see a film at the cinema if it wasn't for the increasing costs and likelihood that other will be in the same theatre spoiling the experience ;)

ps: I saw Avatar in 3D at the Chicago IMAX (was on holiday at the time) and it was stunning!

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I would never trade in my Avatar IMAX 3d experience. I had a tear in my eye within the first 5 minutes. But I still go to the movies just to get out the house and to give my kids something to do. The best thing I remember as a child was my mom taking me to see return of the Jedi. There are plenty of movies I regret not seeing in the theater.
That was 1. The eye strain from wonky alternate polarized glasses, or your realization you must paid $30+ for,you and your honey to see Fern Gulley 2: In Space.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
get your eyes checked hommie, ive been to several movies and all of them look fine. go to a theater with digital screens..

Prometheus tonight wahoo. diffidently wont be pissing and moaning wishing i was sitting at home with my ipad almost 10" screen in front of me, instead of a 52'x72' screen :)

----------

blah blah blah..lol..:rolleyes:

im with rob on this, most plasmas i have seen look really grey and washed out. LED ftw, lcd, then plasma in my books.

Though i prefer plasmas for gaming. the refresh rate always seems better.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
im with rob on this, most plasmas i have seen look really grey and washed out. LED ftw, lcd, then plasma in my books.

You must have been looking at an uncalibrated set. The store can make any tv set look grey and washed out. They also turn up the brightness on their LCD and LED sets to move them better.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I went to see a movie the other night after playing all week with my new iPad.

When the movie screen came on all I could think was, huh? is this really 4K?(the promo in begining said it was). The screen looked soft and muddy compared to what I was used to while using the iPad 3.

So during the whole film, instead of paying attention to the movie I just nitpicked the projection and critiqed the image quality.

I swear the 4K movie looked a whole lot worse than the beautiful retina display.

This happen to anyone else?

Are you sure it was 4K?

For instance the imax versionof Ghost Protocol was far superior in quality than the regular version.
Do some research on movie theathers and you wil find some interesting facts about the quality of films they obtain, the quality of the equipment and the amount of or the lackof power they use to illuminate the presentation.

I love seeing movies with stadium seating especially during the weekday time frame. My 55 inch plasma and pioneer, klipsch and svs sound system doesn't provide the same experience as $10 popcorn and $6 drinks does

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

I find that surprising. IME, plasmas have far richer colours and deeper blacks than LCDs.

The only reason I can think they'd be grey and washed out, is that plasma TVs are often shipped with the brightness and contrast dialled way down; for a certain "warm up" period (100 hours maybe, less or none at all on modern plasmas) and then you can turn them up to normal settings. In their normal settings, plasmas are anything but grey/washed-out.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I find that surprising. IME, plasmas have far richer colours and deeper blacks than LCDs.

The only reason I can think they'd be grey and washed out, is that plasma TVs are often shipped with the brightness and contrast dialled way down; for a certain "warm up" period (100 hours maybe, less or none at all on modern plasmas) and then you can turn them up to normal settings. In their normal settings, plasmas are anything but grey/washed-out.

ahhh well ive never owned, just looked at many when tv shopping. even when turned off they appear grey. from what i just googled, it appears plasmas dont do well in well lit rooms.

in store well lit

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
ahhh well ive never owned, just looked at many when tv shopping. even when turned off they appear grey. from what i just googled, it appears plasmas dont do well in well lit rooms.

in store well lit

I've never had problems with greyness, but certainly the weakness with Plasmas is the reflectivity of the glass - as with glossy computer screens. For me, it's well worth the richness of the colours (when brightness & contrast is turned up) and the fluidity of the motion, but yes, that can be a pain.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I've never had problems with greyness, but certainly the weakness with Plasmas is the reflectivity of the glass - as with glossy computer screens. For me, it's well worth the richness of the colours (when brightness & contrast is turned up) and the fluidity of the motion, but yes, that can be a pain.

yes i love how well they refresh. i hate the lag on lcd tvs when playing halo 3, even with a 120hz

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006

in store well lit

It's true they aren't as bright compared to LCDs and LEDs. The advantage of the LCD and LED backlit screens is that they are so bright, but getting true blacks is the problem. Again, you CAN turn up the brightness on plasmas and they can do quite fine in bright rooms, but the LCDs and LEDs are generally brighter. Does that mean that plasmas are unwatchable in bright rooms? No. They do fine and I have no problems with mine. Again, you can't judge from the showroom floors. The stores intentionally turn up the brightness on LCD and LED Tvs because they are motivated to sell them more. Ask for the remote for all the TVs you are looking at and make your own settings. You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive would you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.