New iPad S/N doesn't use old date format

eq2675

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Just got my shipping confirmation and it has the serial number listed as

DN6H5xxxxxxx

On my iPhone 4 and iPad 1, the 3rd digit was the last digit of the year and digits 4 and 5 were the week the device was manufactured.

I wonder how you decode this new serial number format?

citivolus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
interesting...I just tried entering my new iPad's serial number into the online Apple warranty checker and got the reply "System Error". How un-Apple like... :)

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I never knew that the previous one had any code in it's serial number. But looking at my invoice with the printed serial number, it doesn't really make any sense. At least as far deciphering it to get the build date.

DMPH#**#**GG

#=number instead of letter in its place.
*=letter

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Mine is 2nd week of January. It also says:

Factory: DQ (China Refurbished??)

I hope this is meaningless...

1080p

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Week 4 Jan 2012. White iPad Wi-Fi + 4G

rquick

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Mine is 2nd week of January. It also says:

Factory: DQ (China Refurbished??)

I hope this is meaningless...
A refurbished one already? Wow, Apple really is prepared this time.

I bet they are just using the factory that typically refurbishes product to assemble them as a method to increase production.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I recognize all of these serial numbers back from the backlight bleeding fiasco

First 3 letters are the factory, 4th is the half of the year it was manufactured in, 5th is the week and the last is which iPad you have. Apple kept the same format for this year.

Hope this helps

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
A refurbished one already? Wow, Apple really is prepared this time.

I bet they are just using the factory that typically refurbishes product to assemble them as a method to increase production.
I hope so! Could be that it failed the initial quality inspection and was sent back to be fixed.

----------

I recognize all of these serial numbers back from the backlight bleeding fiasco

First 3 letters are the factory, 4th is the half of the year it was manufactured in, 5th is the week and the last is which iPad you have. Apple kept the same format for this year.

Hope this helps
I have 9 letters... You only listed 6 here :(

rquick

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I hope so! Could be that it failed the initial quality inspection and was sent back to be fixed.

----------

:(
I doubt that would be it John, but I suppose it could. My first thought is that they really haven't had time for that yet. I would take heart in the fact that it shouldn't matter anyway. I have always heard that Apple refurbished are excellent products. I know a lot of cash strapped college students that have always bought refurbished to save money on Apple products and i have never heard a complaint. So if they took it through a second time, won't it have twice as good of a shot at being perfect?

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I doubt that would be it John, but I suppose it could. My first thought is that they really haven't had time for that yet. I would take heart in the fact that it shouldn't matter anyway. I have always heard that Apple refurbished are excellent products. I know a lot of cash strapped college students that have always bought refurbished to save money on Apple products and i have never heard a complaint. So if they took it through a second time, won't it have twice as good of a shot at being perfect?
Nice spin! Plus how reliable is that serial checker? But though Apple refurbish is good, why do they sell for less?

eq2675

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Production year: 2012
Production week: 5 (February)

Black 16GB ATT

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Nice spin! Plus how reliable is that serial checker? But though Apple refurbish is good, why do they sell for less?
Because it would be illegal for them to sell as new, and they would never sell if they weren't cheaper...

Ford8382

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

How do I go about checking my serial number?

Edit: Where do I find it?

Thanks for your help!