New iPad user - thought I'd say hello

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nicksixx, May 20, 2012.

1. nicksixx macrumors newbie

nicksixx

I use this forum all the time for troubleshooting on my iPhone and MBP, so I figured I may as well sign up now that I have an iPad as well.

Also thought I'd share a photo of my 'custom' smart cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually bought the dark grey synthetic smart cover at the time of purchase of my iPad 3 because I didn't think the leather ones were worth the money. I found the tan leather one (my first preference) on ebay for under $50 so I bought one a few weeks later, but was a little disappointed with the way it looked once it was on the device. Google turned up this article where some guy used coffee to stain his smart cover, and I loved the way it looked. I actually achieved the end result by rubbing in motor oil of all things (another article described using olive oil but I imagine it would go rancid after a week or so) then topping it off with leather conditioner.

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

3. PaulWog Suspended

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I love when people put no offense at the end of the sentence, as if it would take away the fact that it is still offensive.

And hello to you to OP

5. Munchkinsdad macrumors regular

Munchkinsdad

6. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Always better when you roll your own.

Looks just fine.

7. Maziar macrumors 6502

8. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

Now why didn't I think of that, it will match perfectly with my half tinted screen!

9. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

10. unr1 macrumors regular

11. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

In the eyes of some people, everything appears as garbage. I wonder why.

To OP: Congrats on your iPad, I love that smart-cover!

12. DrNoellyG macrumors member

I like the color, had no idea how you made it until I read the entire post. Motor oil isn't damaging the case? In any ways, cool and nicely done. Could you explain the process, what did you use to rub it and for how long of time or where you just going for a "once I get the color I want I'll stop" type of deal?

13. TLewis macrumors 65816

I hope it wasn't used motor oil, which is a known carcinogen. Unused motor oil may or may not be a carcinogen (you really need to read the Material Safety Data Sheet for the exact brand/make of oil), but I think you're crazy to have done that. :eek:

14. nicksixx thread starter macrumors newbie

nicksixx

First of all I tried using boot polish to darken it but it didn't absorb at all. Went looking online for alternative methods and found the espresso and olive oil methods. I wasn't too keen on either of those so figured motor oil would yield a similar result as olive, without the problems that using a food product would incur.

Basically just poured it quite liberally into a clean cotton cloth, and rubbed it in until it was a colour I liked, as well as being fairly even in coverage. Let it dry for about 3 hours then rubbed in some leather shoe conditioner

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I like it. Wouldn't be able to tell that you did it yourself if you hadn't mentioned it.

16. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Welcome! I like the color of your custom Smart Cover.

17. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Now you can use the iPad while you ride your horse to the town saloon and you won't look out of place.

18. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

That made me LOL :D

OP, having a cover in a look you like is important but I agree with those who have worried about the safety of using motor oil. You are going to be handling this device a lot, getting bits of motor oil on your fingers constantly.

19. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Will anyone else, particularly kids, be handling the device?

20. rkahl macrumors 65816

If you are unhappy with your iPad then take it back. You know how the process works because you have returned 10 of them. You also might find a better suiting name if you are unhappy with the iPad. One question... do you even have an iPad?

21. roberthodgson macrumors regular

22. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Very creative! Though it wouldn't be my personal preference, it astounds me that people would use things (motor oil!) to create their personal look.

Everybody likes what they like, maybe I'll take you as an example and make something unique for myself.

23. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

Be honest with me, were you bullied as a kid and now seeking revenge behind a computer?

Just because you have a great screen or as you call it "flawless" doesn't mean you have any right to criticize anyone else with a screen issue. For someone who has a "flawless" screen you sure put a lot of input in screen discussions.