New iPad vs original iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nph, Mar 16, 2012.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

I seem to see a lot of comparisons of the new iPad vs iPad 2 but none compared to the original iPad 1, which I have.

Since I am considering an upgrade myself, did anyone upgrade from iPad 1 to the new iPad 3?

What are your impressions? Was it worthwhile?

Thanks

2. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It will definitely be a significant upgrade. Better screen, snappier performance. I sold my iPad 1 about a month or so ago, and I'm gunna pick up a 3.

3. bettaboy123 macrumors member

I did and its a breath of fresh air. The screen is immaculate. The speed is much better (It runs iOS 5 with no lag, slowing down, etc.). Apps run faster and the cameras are fun. The thinness and white color are also awesome! :D Loving my new iPad! :D

P.S. The voice dictation is surprisingly good and also very useful. Even though I can type super fast it's nice to have cuz I'm lazy. :p

4. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I don't care what you're upgrading from, this screen is worth it and then some. My first glimpse took my breath away.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I upgraded from my original that I got on launch day, and let me tell you, this device is a whole new experience. It is fast - there is no lag in anything that you do. The screen is gorgeous - I never thought that the older iPad screens looked bad at all, but this one puts them to shame. It's truly a sight to behold. The biggest thing that I've noticed in an effect of 4x the RAM - applications that are in the background stay there much longer. Safari doesn't have to reload everything when you switch to something else for a second. It really is amazing just how much of a difference it makes in how you use the device.

All in all, if you enjoy your original iPad, you'll enjoy this one so much more! I'm already in love and couldn't possibly ever go back.

6. qtx43, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

qtx43 macrumors 6502a

Sure the screen is great, but what makes me happy is that I can have a bunch of browser tabs open, and it doesn't reload when I switch back and forth. And I can actually load a heavy page without it crashing. Not sure yet if I'll use the dictation feature much.

And the 4 finger side swipe to switch apps is actually useful now.

7. Gorion macrumors member

Upgrading to iPad 3 from 1 is a pretty nice upgrade. It is very smooth. My iPad 1 was sluggish since iOS 5. It is pretty nice. Definitely worth the money to upgrade.

8. big samm macrumors 65816

I still have my original 32gb 3G and it still works well, but my new one works better :)

9. celinedion1 macrumors member

I upgraded from an iPad 1 to an iPad 3 and it's amazing. It's a lot faster, lighter, and it has 2 cameras. Also the screen is beautiful looking.

10. digiphantom macrumors regular

The Retina display and speed are amazing. The iPad 3 is still lighter and slightly thinner than the original iPad, so that was noticeable too.

Although I kind of like the build quality of the original iPad, it feels more solid. The on/off & volume buttons don't feel sharp on the original iPad. I didn't realize that the dock connector port on iPad 2, 3 kind of slopped.

11. canadianolive macrumors newbie

I picked the new one up today and am debating about whether I will want it or not. I was thinking of giving my original to my dad as a birthday gift, just wondering if the difference will impress me enough.

So I'll be watching this thread anxiously for opinions.

Thanks!

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I compared my dad's new ipad and my ipad 2 and while the screen is nicer, it wasn't "OMG i need that!" type of nice by any means

Regarding performance, the 3 and 2 are nearly identical in app loading and what not from my limited playing around with them

13. g8orballboy macrumors regular

Pretty much 100% agree. The jump from the iPad 1 to the new iPad is incredible. I love it! And I love the dictation. In fact I wrote this post without typing on the keyboard once. ;-)... And yes it does translate emoticons as well!

14. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

15. batotman macrumors 6502

I skipped the 2 and think its a pretty big upgrade. Much faster. Hard to crash Safari. Lighter, thinner. But if you're happy with your iPad 1, no sense in spending money to upgrade.

Speaking of the dictation, it works pretty well except it cannot work with kids voices. My three daughters and I repeated the same phrase and mine was perfect, all three of theirs weren't even remotely close. We did find it amusing.

16. Mansu944 macrumors regular

I too skipped the iPad 2. The iPad 3 is an awesome upgrade. The extra ram is a god send. No more safari crashes. Plus its a tad lighter and a lot thinner too. (wouldn't be able to say that if I was upgrading from the iPad 2).

17. batotman macrumors 6502

Browse TMZ. You'll get to read all about that Kony guy flipping out and then it will crash. Over and over. Low memory issues. Still light years better than my iPad 1 was on ios 5. I had to revert it back to 4.3 before I ended up beating it with a hammer. Crashed non stop.

18. stephg macrumors member

stephg

It really is like night and day. It's so much faster, and the retina display is amazing. Apps open so quickly and no crashing. You will not be disappointed if you get one. :D

19. trek360 macrumors 6502

I'd agree with just about everything above. The performance is faster and more stable. The screen is amazing. The retinal display produces a crispness that makes the original now seem a little out of focus. The retinal display is the primary reason I upgraded.

Not sure if it matters to you, but it is nice to have a camera for either pictures or FaceTime.

One thing I thought I'd appreciate is a lighter iPad. Feels pretty similar to the original to me which is still really portable.

I'd go for it if you can swing it.

20. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

This and the screen really have substantially improved the user experience from the first generation.

21. batotman macrumors 6502

I thought my original iPad felt like a brick in comparison.

22. ne0star macrumors regular

I upgraded from an iPad 1 and it's a massive difference. It was worth upgrading for the form factor alone.

23. Mansu944 macrumors regular

I was just cruising TMZ for 10 minutes and no crashes. Are you on an android tablet?

24. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I feel the same way.

I held both at the same time. It's only slightly lighter, but the thinner body and less curved back make it much more comfortable to hold.

25. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

The only thing that disappoints, IMO, is the build quality. The original iPad felt much better in this regard. The 3 feels cheaper.