New iPads Expected in First Half of 2019, Including iPad Mini 5 With Similar Design as iPad Mini 4

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 4:57 AM.

1. Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

There are no new Intel CPUs for Apple to update the MacBook Pro. Leaked Intel roadmaps have an 8-core 45w TDP H-Series CPUs possibly coming out in Q4/2019 and Q1/2020, codename Ghost Canyon.

Source: https://wccftech.com/intel-ghost-canyon-frost-canyon-nucs-9th-gen-core-i9-8-cores/

If you need a new MacBook Pro, you should go ahead and purchase one.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 8:39 AM ---
    Apple has a consistent, proven strategy with the iPad (6th Generation) and there is no reason to believe that the 7th Generation would not follow the same strategy folding the mini into the mix.

I would expect Apple to launch the 7th Gen iPad and 5th Gen iPad mini with the A11 Bionic at 32GB and 128GB, with both starting at $329. Same specs, but you simply choose the right size for you (10.5" or 7.9"). Apple Pencil support, TouchID, maybe the 12MP camera, 7MP FaceTime camera, 2-3GB of DRAM, 4K recording, etc.

Worse case is they raise the prices to $399 for the starting the 32GB version.

I would expect that once the new iPad is launched, Apple will discontinue the 10.5" iPad Pro. Just my 2¢. Cannot wait until Apple launches them.

2. Baymowe335 Suspended

You can disagree, but Apple's strategy is not market share...or they'd have far lower pricing.

3. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Yeah I'm with you on that. My Mini 4 is still working fine it's just a little beat up. They take so long updating these things I was hoping for A12 for gaming and pretty much the same reason I like the newer chips on the iPhone. I don't care for FaceID or notch or wireless charging on a device this size either. Face ID is a pain too because with a bigger device that's often flat on the table or on my lap I don't feel like lining it up to my face "just so".

They treat the mini like an afterthought. I'd like to see a low cost version and a "pro" version. Oh well my whining about it won't solve anything.

4. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

Apple greatly reduced the iPad price in 2017 when they sold the 5th generation at $329. Every other iPad since the original in 2010 started at $499 and the only substantial trade off between the Air 2 and the 2017 model was the loss of the laminated screen. For 2018 they did a spec bump from the A9 to A10 processor, added Pencil support to the screen, and kept the same $329 price. That seems to be the sweet spot for consumer tablets, so I don't look for a price increase this time around either.

True, the iPad Pro is priced substantially higher, but that product isn't really designed to be a consumer product. Looking at just the basic iPad prices have gone down.

5. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I didn’t say anything about market share, I mentioned a price point that would get people to buy an iPad. If Apple sells a $229 iPad and that person pays $2.99 a month for iCloud storage and then $9.99 a month for Apple Music, that’s over $155 a year just in services and that’s not counting app purchases or Apple Care. The more people that own Apple products the more money they can make off of them.

6. Baymowe335 Suspended

You don’t think Apple understands that better than you? They will be priced to optimize services and hardware margins.

7. RevTEG macrumors 6502a

RevTEG

This! No way I’m going back to a home button, even on a secondary device.

8. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I know Apple understands it, my comment was directed at you. Wasn’t sure if you understood it.

9. Eadfrith macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

I'm guessing it will follow the same track as the Mac Mini, slightly tweaked internals and a price increase.

10. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

Same as Mini 4 (design) but with a $200.00 increase......

11. Baymowe335 Suspended

I have no choice but to understand Apple as a shareholder. I would like to see all products become services, even the use of the iPhone itself. I just don’t think the market is ready for a model like that...yet.

12. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Isn't that the iPhone Upgrade Program?

13. TonyRS macrumors newbie

TonyRS

Nothing in the tech world says "BUY ME" like a seven-year-old form factor.

*rolls eyes emoji*

14. Baymowe335 Suspended

Somewhat, but not nearly widespread enough. I don't have numbers on this, but I bet most people still buy through carriers and other retailers. Direct from Apple is probably <10% of total sales. I could be wrong.

But I can see a future that Apple bundles their hardware and software into 1 monthly subscription price. The possibilities are endless and it gets people into a monthly fee cycle, which is great for business and people love being on monthly payments. It doesn't "feel" as expensive.

15. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

This might actually be worse because instead of feeling the pain once, you would feel it every month. It will become apparent how much money one is giving Apple month after month.

The Upgrade Program is not as successful because most people hold on to their devices more than 1 year to amortize/justify the price premium they are paying for an iPhone. You lose that if you go to the subscription model.

Just in jest...

What they need to do it act like Comcast. Lease customers a modem that costs them maybe $50 total, for $15/mo and never replace it until it breaks. Now you're talking!

How is this permitted?
    https://www.thenation.com/article/america-has-a-monopoly-problem-and-its-huge/

16. sir1963nz macrumors 6502a

Still using my iPad mini 2, still works and best of all it runs Bento.

17. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I'd take a 7 year old form factor (with updated internals) with good QC over a brand new device that has the risk of being bent. 10 out of 10 times. IMO, the old iPad design looks and feels much more premium than the new iPPs. Not sure who is OK'ing all the ugly designs at Apple.

18. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

Your existing infrastructure comment can be applied to every single connector Apple has ever replaced. And certainly in my house we have a lightening based infrastructure for all the iPhones and iPads... but that didn't stop Apple from making the iPad Pro USB C. So I do think lightening connection will eventually be replaced. Not sure what the point is otherwise. As for the pencil, it doesn't make long term sense for Apple to support two pencils. Time will tell when that gets phased out too.

19. Baymowe335 Suspended

I would agree, but I don't think the majority would. I am likely wrong, or Apple would have pushed harder for this model.

I do know they'll try to push the subscription service model where they can.

20. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

I’m guessing an a11 since the iPad 2018 had an a10.

I guess it’ll be a big iPhone 8 plus with original Apple Pencil support - that suits me fine!

21. apolloa macrumors G4

It’ll probably be Apples best selling iPad if they did this! But if it doesn’t have an A10 it better have an A11..!

22. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

I think that this is a great move. The March event tends to be one where it produces solid products that are slightly behind the curve for people/institutions who are price sensitive and who don’t need the latest and greatest. I guess we’ll see a new iPad with the same specs as the mini. And I’m guessing they’ll essentially be iPad airs from a few years back.

I suspect that AirPower and EarPods two would’ve been launched last September but they weren’t quite ready, hence we are seeing them here.

23. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Pencil support and upgraded internals sound great. I hope the camera gets updated too, and that a flash is added.

24. dampfnudel, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:18 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 2:25 PM

dampfnudel macrumors 68030

A11 and 4GB of RAM is all I need to upgrade my iPad mini 4. I don’t need FaceID. I do need a good quality, laminated display. The iPad mini 2/3 was heavily criticized for its display. Any device that has an A10 and only 2GB of RAM will probably lose iOS support in 2021. That would suck, even if you’re only paying $300 for it. All Apple needs to do is keep the iPad mini 4 body/display and add an A11/4GB of RAM with capacities of 64GB, 128GB and 256GB.

25. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

I see 2 gb ram and a A11......just watch and see.......the Apple way....so they can price it at $349 even if it truly should be $199