New iPads Expected in First Half of 2019, Including iPad Mini 5 With Similar Design as iPad Mini 4

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 4:57 AM.

1. TonyRS macrumors newbie

TonyRS

If it's got a new processor and it's $249, I will buy two.

2. jjlsetter macrumors newbie

If the price is right, I'll buy this in a second to replace my kid's Fire Tablet kids edition. That tablet is garbage and would love to get him an iPad. He doesn't need anything fancy but a newer version would last longer than the current version 4.

3. Dostoy macrumors newbie

For the iPad Mini 5, IF the price is reasonable, I'd be satisfied with A10, 2nd generation Touch ID, and Apple Pencil 1 support.
    Of course, I'd prefer A10X, but I won't get my hopes up!
    The current laminated display is excellent, as it provides slimness and low-reflectiveness.
    I suspect that Apple Pencil 2 would only come if the iPad Mini body had a complete redesign, with built-in wireless charging.
    Otherwise, how could Pencil 2 be recharged? But that would actually require an iPad Mini PRO, right?

The iPad Mini 4 cellular 128GB has been my main iPad since its debut, and I imagine that iPad Mini is an essential product for a certain sector of Apple users.
    For me, rather than a large-screen iPhone, a regular-size iPhone plus the iPad Mini 4 has been a great combination.

Of course, I'd be glad to see Apple introduce an iPad Mini Pro -- but only if the "regular" iPad Mini was also continued.

4. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

I care about the longevity of the new Mini 5. As far I am concern, the SoC is not that big of deal. The amount of RAM is. I love to see a doubling to 4GB. The Mini 4 has 2GBs inside. With 4GB, iOS 14 should still be fast enough and load stuff adequately.

5. MikeSmoke macrumors regular

You are not going to get Pencil 2 support with the original mini form factor. They are not compatible for charging. There is no lightning connection on the Pencil 2 and there is no flat surface on the original mini form factor to allow magnets and inductive charging. It would take re-engineering to accomplish this. If there is pencil support it would almost have to be pencil 1 or a new even more basic and cost effective pencil just for the mini.

I will be first in line for an updated up spec mini 5 but I have no use for a pencil. Faster SOC and more RAM is what’s lacking now.

6. MikeSmoke macrumors regular

7. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

I purchased two at BB! They sold it at a lost of $75!

8. Machead2012 macrumors regular

Nothing staggering here in this rumor.
    An upgrade not similar to the new pro's would make this iPad mini 5 appeal mainly to schools and kids.
    HomePod dud part 2?

9. synp macrumors member

synp

No, no, no. It totally should fold in two so it's pocketable. If it does that, I'll never ever buy another phone.

10. everygrainofsand macrumors newbie

everygrainofsand

Absolutely with you as to Apple needing to slim down the cheap iPad, using the Air 2 chasis. The difference on paper seems nothing, but in the hand it's significantly noticeable; especially for those of us that use the device principally as e-readers, sitting with it in hand for hours at a time!

- everygrainofsand -

11. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

Currently there is:
    Ipad Pro 12.9 m iPad Pro 11inch , ipad 10.5 inch, iPad 9.7 inch, and iPad 4 Mini...
    not only the sizes differ, but a lot of the internals and hardware...

12. Shin-Ra macrumors newbie

Hopefully the price reflects the (rumoured) lack of effort to bring the specs up to date and the resulting reduction in iOS updates these minis will support.

13. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

That would definitely be the limiting factor and without 4GB of RAM, iOS support would probably be cut by September 2021. Keep the body/great display, add an A11 with 4GB of RAM & 2nd gen TouchID, starting price at $249 for 64GB, topping out at $449 for 256GB. Apple makes good money and those of us with an iPad mini 4 get a decent replacement model.

14. Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

Should Apple stick with the current iPad mini 4 chassis for the new mini 5 and not revert back to the mini 2/3 chassis, then I think it is possible that Apple could move back to a laminated display and thinner chassis for the iPad 7th Gen. I think they chose to use the old iPad Air chassis primarily to get the 5th Gen to market quickly at a reasonable cost. It is also cheaper to repair the 5th and 6th Gen than the Air 2's laminated display, so I think it is a 50/50 possibility right now.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2019 at 12:07 PM ---
    I can see an A11 Bionic, 2nd Gen Touch ID and with 2 or 3GB of DRAM, but more likely 2GB and 32GB of storage starting at $329, $128GB at $429. Basically, identical guts as the 7th Gen iPad, you simply choose the size that best suits you. That, or the mini starts at $329 and the 7th Gen starts at $429 for a 64GB version and moves up in size as has been rumored. I could see it taking on the 10.5" chassis, but dropping the ProMotion/P3 display, less DRAM, 8MP iSight/1.2MP FaceTime camera. I hope I am wrong, but Apple is not a charity. A $249 starting price is not realistic for anyone to expect. Apple will sell them at that price though through Best Buy, Amazon, et al. throughout the year using marketing dollars, but the MSRP will never be that low.