New iPhone 5S - LTE doesn't work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bzblake347, Dec 30, 2013.

1. bzblake347 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just got a new iphone 5s with AT&T and noticed that if I keep LTE on, my signal will often dip to 1 circle (bars) and then I would completely lose internet/cell service. To fix it, I have to turn on and off airplane mode, and wait for a while for everything to reset.

The only way I've found to go around this issue is to turn off LTE...but this kind of defeats the purpose. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm wondering if this is a hardware or software issue. Thank you.

2. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It's likely poor signal in your area. I get the same thing here in Denver.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, sounds like bad signal in that particular area.
    Compare it to another AT&T customer with an iphone 5, 5S or 5C to see how their LTE compares to yours at the same location.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

Turn off lte in cellular settings and see what happens.

5. bzblake347 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys. I only question is why does turning on LTE decreases my regular cellular connection as well? With LTE off I get full bars w/ 4g, as soon as I turn on LTE it drops to 1-2 and I can't even make any calls/texts.

This is downtown nyc, so I'm surprised the reception would be bad here.

6. avanpelt macrumors 68020

I have a similar experience on Verizon at my home. When I'm not on a call, I get 1-2 bars/dots of LTE service. As soon as my phone rings or I place a call, the phone uses the CDMA antenna for the call (since it's a Verizon iPhone); and I see the signal strength change to 3 bars/dots.

In some areas, the 3G and HSPA+ (4G) signal is simply stronger than the LTE signal. That must be what you're experiencing.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You're most likely in an area with poor LTE service. The best thing would be to disable LTE. Otherwise, your phone will waste a lot of battery trying to look for and stay connected to a network that has low coverage. Not to mention, the problems you will face (such as not being able to access data or texts) as well. You'll get better performance with LTE off.

I wouldn't say that it defeats the purpose. It's just that you don't have strong LTE in your area. So the other option is to find a carrier that has LTE in your area. But the good part is that AT&T "4G" is generally pretty fast.

Well, they are two different "networks" that the phone is connecting to. Either it connects to LTE or to 4G. Not both at the same time.

8. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Basically. I have found that if I never got a reliable 3G/4G signal on Verizon or AT&T then I would not be able to get LTE either.

With AT&T and Verizon, I would get edge speeds at my house. Tried them both on LTE on my iPad and rarely get a signal.

T-Mobile has been the only one who can get me super fast LTE speeds at my house.

9. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

iirc there are several versions of LTE coverage. Most services currently provided turns on both LTE and 3G antennas as not all networks can support LTE phone calls, thus the need to always have both turned on.

What I'm not sure is if you have LTE but turn it off on your phone, is your "3G" faster than regular 3G or is it the same?

10. I7guy macrumors G5

3G is regular 3G. All turning off lte does on vow phones is save the battery in areas if. bad lte reception.

11. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

LTE requires a pretty good signal which it does not sound like you have. 4G is more forgiving as it requires much less bandwidth.

Even in NYC there are "dead" areas where coverage is not good. You really need to compare your signal with another iPhone in the same area to make SURE the problem is not your phone.

12. I7guy macrumors G5

I always got bad signals on every vzw phone downtown, but if I'm not mistaken phone doesn't use lte for calls, so that might be another issue.

13. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

I have that, too. If I stand outside (I have T-Mobile), I get 2-3 bars of LTE, full bars if I am close to a tower, but unfortunately, I do not live close to a T-Mobile tower. If I turn off LTE, I get 4-5 bars of 4G. My data and services work great, except in my home, where I get EDGE and sometimes one bar of 4G, but I do have Wi-Fi. :D

It must be the propagation disadvantages of newer cellular technology. :(