Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Ok,

so after a long thinking and being worried about the bendgate etc. I decided not to wait for 6S and bought the iPhone 6 to upgrade my ageing iPhone 4.
It arrived after few days and I was super excited. Started setting it up and noticed the top part of the display had yellowish tint whilst the rest of the screen was cooler. After thinking whether or not I should keep it I decided to change it.

Ok, got another one after few days and everything looked perfect. I was pleased that display is great and even, no dead pixels etc. so I was very happy. Well, until I used the mute button. Which just doesn't work correctly. Sometimes I move it to mute position but it doesn't switches so i have to readjust it again in order to work. So, tomorrow calling Apple and hope they will still make it before xmas.

Anyway, other than this I think the phone is great. I have a feeling that the bending I was worried about is actually really just a media bubble although I did babied the first phone a lot. Will report later with more experience but for now this is it.

Hope 3rd time the lucky will apply here. :)

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Some are never happy, probably should not have an iPhone.

Why not? Apple is holding themselves out for having high standards. They also claim that customer satisfaction is what thrives them, so it's only fair to hold them to that standard and make use of your right to get a replacement.

If I were the OP, I would send it back until I get tired of doing it. You're paying good money for this device and you should demand a device without flaws. No yellow tinting, no dead pixels, no creaky screen, no loose buttons. My device is perfect; no flaws whatsoever. I wouldn't worry about the 'bending' problem. That one was related to the 6 Plus. I don't ever put a phone in tight trouser pockets, the heat or sweat alone should be a reason not to.

I sent back two MacBooks when they released the first aluminium MacBooks in 2008. I even would have sent back the third one if the issue wasn't so minor. The first one had tilted keys, the second a crazily loud SuperDrive and a washed-out display, the one I kept doesn't stay closed properly when put on the side (which I only do to put it into a sleeve, so it was minor to me). I would have regretted keeping the others and I encourage everyone to be more strict and demand excellent quality, you're certainly paying for it.

bcc212

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Sounds a shame if anything. I had to return my 1st iPhone 6 due to carrier issues. That was perfect, as is my phone I'm using now.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Some are never happy, probably should not have an iPhone.

Maybe you are right. Maybe I shouldn't have an iPhone cause the thought of paying £620 for a phone that has issue is just not acceptable for me. My iPhone 4 I had for all this time was perfect and I treated it well. Eventually the home button stopped working but it was way after the warranty expired.
Yes, I could have bought Xiaomi for £200 with "similar" specs and I wouldn't demand such QC but for a phone that costs £620 I do want to get what I'm paying for. That means, no issues that I would have to settle with to begin with.

Would you accept iPhone for that money that had button that is not working correctly? My partner couldn't see the tint (although I asked at work and others can) but when she played with the button she did say its annoying and she would exchange it. Mind you, she is the type of person that probably never exchange anything :)))

Anyway, I saved up for iPhone 6 and I don't think its too much to ask to get almost perfect phone. I'm not looking for absolute perfection but rather 100% QC iPhone. In the past I had to sometimes return some other products (like retina that had ghosting issues or bad colour tinting) but I am not OCD. Although I do admit that being an Apple customer I have become a bit more cautious about quality when paying the premium to Apple.
True, if I was buying Dell for £400 I wouldn't inspect it the same way as retina mpb for £2500.
I think that is only fair, don't you think?

But perhaps I'm not lucky enough like some people might be around here and I do not have tons of money lying around so I'm not so careless. I treat all my stuff well, especially the expensive ones as I was taught the value of money when I was younger. I'm sorry if you find that bothersome but I'm just being careful. I expect the phone to last me at least 3 years if not more to get the value back.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2014
Maybe you are right. Maybe I shouldn't have an iPhone cause the thought of paying £620 for a phone that has issue is just not acceptable for me. My iPhone 4 I had for all this time was perfect and I treated it well. Eventually the home button stopped working but it was way after the warranty expired.
Yes, I could have bought Xiaomi for £200 with "similar" specs and I wouldn't demand such QC but for a phone that costs £620 I do want to get what I'm paying for. That means, no issues that I would have to settle with to begin with.

Would you accept iPhone for that money that had button that is not working correctly? My partner couldn't see the tint (although I asked at work and others can) but when she played with the button she did say its annoying and she would exchange it. Mind you, she is the type of person that probably never exchange anything :)))

Anyway, I saved up for iPhone 6 and I don't think its too much to ask to get almost perfect phone. I'm not looking for absolute perfection but rather 100% QC iPhone. In the past I had to sometimes return some other products (like retina that had ghosting issues or bad colour tinting) but I am not OCD. Although I do admit that being an Apple customer I have become a bit more cautious about quality when paying the premium to Apple.
True, if I was buying Dell for £400 I wouldn't inspect it the same way as retina mpb for £2500.
I think that is only fair, don't you think?

But perhaps I'm not lucky enough like some people might be around here and I do not have tons of money lying around so I'm not so careless. I treat all my stuff well, especially the expensive ones as I was taught the value of money when I was younger. I'm sorry if you find that bothersome but I'm just being careful. I expect the phone to last me at least 3 years if not more to get the value back.

Well said. I'm tired of people saying they are not issues when they clearly are. Apple's QC has declined hugely this year it would seem.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Apple has always had some QC issues but the last 3 or so years have been worse. Luckily, I've never had any issues but the issues are real.

We have to remember that these devices are mass produced in a Chinese factory. Name a true luxury, high end product that comes from a Chinese factory. There is none in my opinion.

At the same time I don't think its right for Apple to set prices as high as they do. Chalk it up to their great marketing and "luxury-esque" designs.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My plus home button has some play. It also feels "chunky" when clicking. Just. Orices yesterday and it doesn't seem to effect usage. I'll be taking it in but not until a week or two into the new year. Finding a parking spot in the mall is a nightmare in and of itself.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
My plus home button has some play. It also feels "chunky" when clicking. Just. Orices yesterday and it doesn't seem to effect usage. I'll be taking it in but not until a week or two into the new year. Finding a parking spot in the mall is a nightmare in and of itself.

I've just noticed the play in my home button recently. No problem yet, but I'll keep an eye on it.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I hear you TC.

I was up all night with the preorder madness (if people remember that) and made ABSOLUTELY sure I was going to get one on launch. Once it arrived I had it for a few days and was showing my brother and he pointed out that my home button had what looked like paint chipping (or a not painted area) I called Apple up and after an hour of talking to 4 different people from Apple they finally agreed to ship me a new one (without me sending my unit back first).

IMO (As stated above by someone else) Apple holds their products at such a high standard and cost so much, the consumer should be entitled to an absolutely flawless product and should not have to "settle".

BTW my 2nd one arrived and was/still is flawless.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
With screens, sometimes the yellow appearance is temporary and results because the adhesive hasn't fully bonded. Give it a few days before taking it back if you notice that issue. The thing to keep in mind is that Apple is just now catching up with demand, so since launch these devices have been flying out of the factory into stores as quickly as they can. Sales of each new device have been higher than the previous launch and in the case of the iPhone 6 the spike is even bigger than before. That means QC issues are more likely.

Ashtar

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2014
It's luck of the draw. I was very fortunate that both my iPhone 6 Space Grey and iPhone 6 Plus Silver were without flaws. The first iPhone 5 I got was a turd...chips and scratches out of the box.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I purchased 3 iPhones 6 this year. One was the T-Mobile unlocked on Day 1 through the pre-order. During the Verizon unlimited data plan glitch window back in October, I purchased two (one of which was to replace the T-Mobile version, which I sold, and the other I kept for a new line). I've had one of each color. All were flawless out of the box.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
In my experience, I found it impossible to get an iPhone 6 that didn't have some sort of defect.

My experience is totally different. Have bought so many Apple products from 2008 and on and never had a faulty products from them, except the headphones of one of the iPhones decided to go mono after almost a year and they were replaced by Apple right away, no question asked. Surely there are people who may and will get faulty products, I just find it absolutely astonishing that some people keep getting repeatedly faulty products! Is that a bad luck gone supernova or what?

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Screens in general I think have some variance. With the first iPad Air it was unacceptable but with my current 6+ it's probably not perfect but no screen really is, especially LCD. It's gorgeous though all in all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.