Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
What's with all the complaining about the protruding camera? I've owned an iPod touch 5th gen for almost 2 years and the camera has never once bothered me.

mitso

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
Can you plate liquidmetal with gold and space grey?

Will be impressive if this is in fact liquidmetal.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
I own the 5th gen Touch and the protruding camera is a complete non-issue because the device is too thin and slippery to use without a case. OTOH, it's a pleasure to hold encased by a Griffin Reveal, in which the camera is recessed. The phone will be no different.

As for the bands, if they are real, I can only say they must look OK in person. They must.

ogremoustro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Not an excuse.

The fact that the larger model has a protruding camera, will undoubtedly get spun as the larger model having a "pro" camera. So we will get two options: knowingly pick the smaller model with the worse camera, or pay EXTRA for CAMERAGATE and get tons of dust and scratches on the lens. Wonderful.

Scratching the camera lense on the 5S is difficult since it's sapphire. I imagine the same would be the case for the 6. But having the phone not be flat on a table would be annoying.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Actually, the article said:

It seems implausible that the bigger phone, which isn't thinner and doesn't have a smaller bezer, would need a different camera design. I'm willing to bet that either both have it, or neither.

Unless Apple goes against type and puts a better camera in the bigger phone (because the bigger phone has more space for a bigger sensor) or makes the bigger phone thinner (because the larger surface area allows all the electronics+battery to fit in less thickness.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Sad day

Lots of rumors pointing to the idea that the larger screen iPhone will have a better camera and processor.

I don't want a giant phone. I'm already annoyed that my next iPhone is growing to accomodate the 4.7 inch screen (while the Moto X is about the same size as iPhone 5S with a 4.7 inch screen).

Now I'll have to choose whether to give up performance for a smaller form factor, or stuff a huge phone in my pocket just because I want to have a better camera.

The only people I've ever seen with a Note like to show off that they have a big phone and don't really know how to use it. Why give that crowd the better features and specs?

Ugh.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Different internal specs - ain't going to happen.

If the 5.5" can accommodate improved specs including a better camera, why not give people a good reason to spend $100 more for each capacity? I don't think the 0.8" increase in screen size is enough quite frankly if that's all there is.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
Scratching the camera lense on the 5S is difficult since it's sapphire. I imagine the same would be the case for the 6. But having the phone not be flat on a table would be annoying.

The camera sticks out so little on the iPod touch that it's just not noticeable. It will be the same for the iPhone.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
This. It is UNBELIEVABLE that Apple would allow such an AWFUL idea into the next iPhone.

Camera problems are already bad enough with existing iPhones with scratches and dust on the lens. I can't imagine what a toxic hellstew this will cause.

I can't believe Apple did this. For whoever called this CAMERAGATE, I agree. This is only the first story.

Scratch? No, its made of sapphire. Dust? yeah probably. lol

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
So now that the camera is starting to get in the way of the paramount goal of "thinner", I guess it has to be jettisoned altogether for the iPhone 7.

And since the battery takes up most of the inner volume, Apple could make the 7 much thinner & lighter if they would just get rid of that too.

"We" should be able to expertly spin both to those who complain with stuff like "get a real camera" and "buy a battery case" and similar. What's important is that the path to "thinner" is clarified now. Take out utility to support thin.

;)

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
New iPhone 6 Rear Shell Photos Show Recessed Volume Buttons, Scratch-Resistan...

Or

iPhone Mini (5s)

iPhone Air (4.7)

iPhone Pro (5.5)

They just don't sound right, but its time to ditch the numbering, the iPad just did it last year, so this might end up happening.

Will be surprised if this is the new naming scheme and multiple models are introduced. They've always wanted the iPhone to be the wow factor, the flagship. There will be probably be only one iPhone (4.7). Calling it now. :p

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I know it's not an excuse.

I'd be VERY shocked if Apple even thought about having a protruding camera on any device.

I'm not looking into any rumours until Apple unveil it on stage. Anything up until then, for me, is bull.

Take a look at the current iPod Touch..

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
Scratch? No, its made of sapphire. Dust? yeah probably. lol

Dust isn't an issue with my iPod touch's camera, and I've used that as a daily driver since September 2012. Not a scratch either thanks to the sapphire lens.

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
If the iPhone 6 does have a protruding camera, then Ive has gone too far with his obsession with thinness. It makes it look tacky which is why they added the loop band to the iPod touch so that the protruding camera on it wouldn't the only thing on the back sticking out.
I for one do like the idea of a metal rear on the iPhone 6 with plastic bands across it for the antennas. I hate how the glass bands on my 5 have gotten scratched while everything else is flawless. It also brings the iPhone more in line with the unibody theme found in the other lines.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
If the iPhone 6 does have a protruding camera, then Ive has gone too far with his obsession with thinness. It makes it look tacky which is why they added the loop band to the iPod touch so that the protruding camera on it wouldn't the only thing on the back sticking out.
I for one do like the idea of a metal rear on the iPhone 6 with plastic bands across it for the antennas. I hate how the glass bands on my 5 have gotten scratched while everything else is flawless. It also brings the iPhone more in line with the unibody theme found in the other lines.

The loop pushes back in to lay flush with the back of the iPod; it isn't permanently sticking out.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why do people get so worked up over leaked photos of an unfinished product? We know nothing about the phone at this point. We don't even know this is the final design. Everything is just guessing based on random leaked parts that may or may not be legit. Nothing to pop a blood vessel over. :rolleyes:

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010

The loop band peg is flush with the body unless it's in use. I doubt many people use it. I sometimes press it in and out for the same reason I like to pop bubble wrap.

The bands as depicted are horrible. Either they're not real, or they look a lot better in person.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
I know it's not an excuse.

I'd be VERY shocked if Apple even thought about having a protruding camera on any device.

I'm not looking into any rumours until Apple unveil it on stage. Anything up until then, for me, is bull.
that camera has to be fake i can imagine an iPhone that does not lay flat

iPod touch 5th gen, released September 2012?

IMG-0728-1.jpg

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This. It is UNBELIEVABLE that Apple would allow such an AWFUL idea into the next iPhone.

Camera problems are already bad enough with existing iPhones with scratches and dust on the lens. I can't imagine what a toxic hellstew this will cause.

I can't believe Apple did this. For whoever called this CAMERAGATE, I agree. This is only the first story.

Please, go on about how you managed to scratch the sapphire on the 5s...unless of courses you think that for some reason Apple will be downgrading the lens material on their new devices :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.