New iPhone 6 Screen Defect

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greenhut, Sep 19, 2014.

1. greenhut, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

greenhut macrumors member

Picked up an i6 Standard, White, 64G at ATT this morning. It was new in the box. During setup, I noticed what I thought was a screen defect, and can now confirm it. From the upper left corner of the screen, about 1 inch down, and an eight of an inch into the screen, there is a whiter that white "spot" on the screen. It is most noticeable with a white background, where the spot appears whiter than the white background. It is not visible with an all black screen. It is not a single pixel (could never see that), but a relatively round grouping of pixels. Also not a typical LCD stuck pixel. Its like a small grouping of pixels are driving white too hard.

I'll break out my Macro lens and post some pictures in a few. Hopefully this is a very isolated case!

Update - Uploaded some pictures. They don't do it justice. It is much more noticeable to the naked eye.

I will probably wait for the stores to settle down and get it replaced.

jeff

greenhut@pobox.com

Attached Files:

2. lysola macrumors member

It's not really isolated. I've seen a number of threads saying something similar. Most of those ones were about dimness in the corner of the screen whereas yours seems like that same area is driving too hard. This always happens with phones - seems like a common problem with every generation. You plan on dealing with it or taking it back to Apple?

3. Tekzilla macrumors regular

Tekzilla

4. vitacura macrumors regular

That would bug me too. Hope you can get it exchanged soon.

5. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

It happens on quite a few LCD displays. Had it on my Macbook Air in the bottom corner. You'll get it swapped when stock arrives.

6. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

maybe give it time and it'll go away since it's new?

7. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I had this on a Nintendo 3DS recently. I think it's a backlighting error.

8. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

Going to happen when they produce millions and millions. Apple is always good about it though so you shouldnt have a problem replacing. Good luck

9. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

lmaooo I lol'd

10. iketeru macrumors member

could be adhesive on the LCD not drying in time. happened with the 5 if I remember correctly, goes away with time.

11. frostrambler macrumors member

Don't worry about that, its a small blemish. Apple will replace that very quickly. You can try to go through your carrier but it will take forever. Apple usually has extra phones in stock for replacements, so you can go to any apple store today and go to the genius bar and they will probably replace it then and there. There are no refurbs yet, this would be a brand new phone in a non-retail box. I've done this before, its easy. You can wait a month until craziness dies down but they don't often use retail stock, but special replacement stock. Just go and get it replaced.

12. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

And here is when not getting it on launch day rocks, sorry for the OP, but being 3-4 weeks out sounds so much sweeter knowing they have time to fix small things like this!

OP once phones are more available, I can't see why apple wouldnt replace that! good luck, in the mean time try to enjoy your new device.

13. whirldy macrumors regular

whirldy

+1 might be this^

14. golfdude macrumors regular

I would hope that Apple would have stock set aside for replacements. I am sure they do for DOA's, although this technically isn't a DOA.

15. Paul S macrumors regular

Phones coming in 3-4 weeks will be subject to the same defects. It takes a lot longer to implement a fix through the whole production line. The OP can simply take it in whenever to get this resolved, but in the meantime, he still has a i6 to use.

16. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Yes or no, you're right, I could be too! Ya never know. I will say however I feel like the extra coupe weeks, waiting, though it sucks, it does get some issues ironed out.

17. AppleRobert macrumors 603

What screen are those pictures from? I want to see if my 6 has it and how noticeable but I really haven't been on anything with white background very much to tell the truth.

Maybe in the settings?

18. bryancee macrumors regular

Think he said during setup... I could be wrong though.

19. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Stop propagating this wives tale. It's not glue drying. It's a defect. Happens with many LCD displays. :mad::rolleyes:

20. usmaak macrumors regular

Absolutely. I've seen that on all sort of LCD screens. The latest was on a Nexus 7 tablet. It will not get any better, and it will not go away. You might stop seeing it after a while, but it will always be there.

21. greenhut thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the comments. I used the Apple Notes app to capture these, but the same is visible in any app that has lighter colors (white - grey) in this area of the screen.

Went back to the ATT reseller, and they politely asked me to bring it to Apple.

No Genius bar appointments until Sunday.... Ugh.

22. techiebug macrumors 6502a

You wouldn't have any issue exchanging since it's the 6 which is plenty

23. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

It will actually get worse in some cases.

----------

Nice of them to shrug you off.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Wouldn't it be nice if you could still use your phone until Sunday.