New iPhone 6S...setup as new, or restore from back-up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sohanangal, Oct 15, 2015.

1. sohanangal macrumors member

Hi,

I will be getting my new iPhone 6S 64GB White/Silver tomorrow. I have read a few posts regarding the pros and cons of setting it up as a new phone, and those of restoring it from back-up.

Which would be the best option to prevent issues? I am upgrading from the iPhone 5, if that is of any help.

Thanks!

2. mundo01 macrumors newbie

mundo01

I restored from backup. Went from 5s to 6s... No issues. I didn't have to download or set anything up again, it was all there like it was on the 5s

3. MaxBga macrumors regular

MaxBga

Restored from backup too. 6 plus to 6s plus. No issues whatsoever

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I used a 6+ backup on my 6S+ and experienced problems. My alert tones were muffled and on both occasions that I did a 'reset all settings' I got stuck in a bootloop at the Apple logo, requiring a DFU restore. In the end I just set up as new.

5. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I have restored from a backup since iPhone 4. I haven't had any problems yet that I am aware of. 5 phones and 5 operating systems (including betas) later and everything seems fine.

6. Azzurro macrumors regular

I setup my 6S as new so everything was fresh. I didn't encounter anything negative.

7. doboy macrumors 68000

I've always restored from backups, orig iPhone->3GS->4 then iPad Air (since I stopped using iPhone for few years)->iPhone 6->iPhone 6s+. Also no issues going from orig iPad->iPad 2->iPad 3->iPad Air->Air 2.

8. vanasian macrumors member

vanasian

I set it up as new. I don't have any problems with my phone.

9. markhort macrumors 6502a

markhort

I set up as a new device. Which I do every couple of years. Only lost my iMessage's and settings. Everything else was in the cloud. Only issue I had was my contacts did not sync, but a quick toggle off and on again, sorted that.

10. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I set up from new on my 5s, 6 and 6 Plus. Since I have an Apple Watch now I didn't want to lose all the activity data I had so my only option was to restore from an encrypted backup.

I updated my 6s Plus to 9.0.2 out of the box prior to doing anything else, then went through the restore process and so far haven't noticed any major issues.

11. dojoman macrumors 65816

I had restored from backup but I was having some notifications issue afterward, and set it up as new again and it's fine. I had to do it such a way to preserve all my photos and video by uploading to Apple iCloud. That was the most tedious part.

12. thirdson macrumors newbie

restored from backup without issues. I didnt loose anything. 5s to 6s

13. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I was unable to restore my backup from iCloud when I got my 6s+, but was able to get it done via iTunes instead. That worked fine. For some reason even though there was an iCloud backup from my old phone it did not show up as being available.

14. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

I've always restored from backup. I've never had any issues.
    I guess I'm too impatient to set it all up again and also having to download all the apps....ugh...

15. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I'm such the opposite! Haha.

I prefer setting up as new because my taste in apps sometimes changes. For me it's fun to set things up and start out fresh. It gives me that new device rush.

Going through each setting, rummaging through my app list, and I'm having a blast. =)

16. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Is it Samsung or TSMC cpu...?
    Only kidding ;)
    I have always "restore from back up" and never had any issues :)

17. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

This was the first time I setup as new (well besides the new-to-iPhone 3g).
    I did because over the years I tend to install apps and never use them, but to lazy to thin the heard.

I didn't feel like doing that on 6 Plus, so I just setup 6S Plus as new and have been cherry picking apps that I'll use.

18. WarcraftWidow macrumors member

I almost always restore from a backup unless I'm having issues. I've only restored as new maybe twice in the past 7 years or so.

19. sohanangal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, guys.

I did a restore, and haven't any issue yet. At least the ones people had posted on a few threads. Let's see how it goes. It has been just 4 hours, though! :p

20. blcfla macrumors regular

I always restore from backup, did it on my 4S, 5, 5S, 6, and now 6S.

No issues at all.

21. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I prefer to restore from backup - it's fast, easy and almost always works without any surprises. I will start over if necessary, but so far, I'm good. Been running this way since iPhone 3GS and only started over once that I can recall.

22. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have always restored from back up, and I have yet to experience any issues.

23. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I set my 6S+ up as new, and just recently restored my iPad Mini to new as well. Sure, it takes time to put music back on the devices and set up the apps again, but I like knowing that there's no crap left behind from multiple OS upgrades, beta versions, etc. I'd love to wipe my MacBook Air and reinstall El Capitan fresh, but I don't have all of the installation discs/files for my software, and I have a LOT more stuff to reinstall on my laptop than I do my iOS devices.

24. dgbarar macrumors regular

dgbarar

I set up my new iPhone 6S from an iPhone 5S and have had an App crash problem. The app crash works like this. If an app has not been used for over 6 hours it initially opens then the screen goes black. When I push the home button, the app initially appears but disappears to the home screen. A second launch of the app works fine. All apps are affected, even the Apple apps.

I have been working with Apple and have done the following: 1) Hard reset of phone and 2) Restore the phone again from a back-up. Both of these actions failed within a couple of days as the app crash problem returned. Currently, Apple has asked be to reset the settings on the phone. Not certain if this will work and will require a couple of more days to see if the app crash problem returns.

Can not tell at this point if the issue is hardware related or restoring from an iPhone 5S back-up.

Donald Barar

25. KenniJH macrumors newbie

Did exactly the same, no issues at all...