Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New iPhone Ads: 'Lonely Planet', 'Cro Mag', 'Vicinity'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has posted three new iPhone commercials to their site. The three commercials illustrate the use of the App Store to download apps directly to the iPhone using different examples.

- 'Lonely Planet': demonstrates downloading Lonely Planet's Mandarin Mobile Phrasebook [App Store] in order to learn how to ask for a restaurant recommendation.
- 'Cro Mag': demonstrates downloading Pangea Software's Cro-Mag Rally [App Store] and the use of the iPhone as a steering wheel for game control.
- 'Vicinity': demonstrates downloading ActiveGuru's Vicinity [App Store] in order to find a nearby café and view its location on a map with directions.

Article Link

a1016neo

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
I like the Cro-Mag Ad the best... It shows that the iphone can be an excellent gaming device.

Comment

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
your link keeps crashing my safari!!

edit:
had to go to my Imac to check this out...I like the vicinity one, might get the app...I've been using the GPS on the phone more often...I must say it's sick...it's a lot better than I thought it was

Comment

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I wish I knew why I can see those on the Apple site with my iPhone, but not the Get a Mac ads. :confused:

Anyway, nice. I actually like the Vicinity ad best because it shows an integration with the other parts of the iPhone, like Maps, which is part of what makes the iPhone so great. :)

Comment

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Every time I click on the link, or attempt to view them through the Apple website, Safari crashes on my MacBook. Anyone having the same problem?

Comment

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
Every time I click on the link, or attempt to view them through the Apple website, Safari crashes on my MacBook. Anyone having the same problem?
read the 3rd post on this thread...it was crashing my safari on my mba, had to check it out on my imac

Comment

Sinsinnati

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
LOL... I have never been able to download and install and app from the app store in 5 times that time. My apps just say, "installing" for ten minutes and finally it might be installed unless it reboots the iPhone first to complete the install.

In fact I bricked my iPhone today by trying to download the pay version of Cubes. I had to wait to get home and do a restore before my phone would work again. This was my first restore. After that experience I have revoked my "fanboy" membership.

Comment

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Wow -- I'm surprised they used something like Vicinity as an example, when it only has a 2.5 star rating. I like that they are finally showing the app store in use, but I find these commercials a bit....disappointing.

Anyone else miss the original Orba Squara iPhone jingle? :D

Comment

Pippen Man

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Okay Apple, time for my commercial...

"This is how you open the App Store (wait 15 seconds for App Store to load). And this is how you browse the App Store. This is how you download an app from the App Store (wait 2-3 minutes for application to install, BUT a restart is usually needed after installation so my iPod doesn't get all slow), this is the app (Enigmo/Hold 'Em rules!)... Uh oh, iPod did one of those crazy reboots again:rolleyes:... And this is how you restart your iPod touch, on the all new, still not working 100%, iPod touch running 2.0.2 iPhone software.

**Note, actual speeds/wait times may vary.... actually, no they don't, they are, in fact, EXTREMELY long.:rolleyes:

Comment

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
Ever since I first downloaded Safari onto my PC several months ago, the Quicktime videos on the Apple website will only work if I am using Safari. The videos do not work with Firefox. Is this a violation of antitrust laws? :confused:
I normally use Firefox, but now I have to specially open Safari just to watch the videos on the Apple website. Note to Apple: I like your company less because of this.

Comment

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I think i liked the music they used more than anything else. Anyone else know what music they were using?

Comment

hgfreek90

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
What's the use?

What's the use of all these apps if they keep crashing? Apple should really try and fix what's wrong with the iPhones instead of trying to come out with new products. Really disappointed Ive spent over $50 on apps and I cant even use them!

Comment

mattrobs

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
Anyone else miss the original Orba Squara iPhone jingle? :D
Yes! All the new ads sound pretentious. But you play one of those new ads with Orba Squara, and suddenly the "This will change things forever" line sounds humble and warm.

And what's up with the condescending "This is how you enter the App Store"? Really?

Comment

DiScO197

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
LOL... I have never been able to download and install and app from the app store in 5 times that time. My apps just say, "installing" for ten minutes and finally it might be installed unless it reboots the iPhone first to complete the install.

In fact I bricked my iPhone today by trying to download the pay version of Cubes. I had to wait to get home and do a restore before my phone would work again. This was my first restore. After that experience I have revoked my "fanboy" membership.

Yes! Exactly!! It has happened to me on several occasions, usually when I'm away from my macbook so I have to go all day without a useable iphone! I have stopped downloading apps for now on the phone incase I need to make a call! :)

I wonder how many takes they got through to get the perfect ads??

Cheers.

Comment

msizzle64

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
i noticed that when showing maps they were always in San Francisco and in the Vicinity Ad, the map shows culver city, outside of LA. and when the heck was cro-mag's price droped to 5.99?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.