New iPhone already in the works?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shaan, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

2. Shaan thread starter macrumors member

This post will be resurrected next May/June before WWDC 2010, I guarantee it.

3. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

thats why i said post it in a year!

4. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

I'm sure the next three iPhones are already in the works, constantly evolving as new technology comes along.

5. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Of course there is already one in the works, as soon as companies have completed a project and release it they are constantly working to make it better. Nintendo said a few weeks beofre they shipped Wii they had already started on the next system. I assume Apple is the same.

6. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Don't be alarmed, but I've heard that Apple is working on new iPods AS WE SPEAK.

7. prospereagle92 macrumors regular

why are we already talking about next years iPhone?

8. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

who knows!

9. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Because people are always unsatisfied.

10. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I'm wondering the same thing!:confused:

11. Stankonia macrumors regular

Think I will line up for it on Thursday. Then when the next guy comes along and asks if I am in line for the new iPhone, I'll be like "yeah, the 2010 model"

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

In all honesty, what else is there to talk about?

3.0 hasn't been released yet.

3G S isn't out for another six days.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

While I agree that it's certainly premature to speculate on what the next gen iPhone will have, I do like seeing what's likely being used in upcoming prototypes and what could be in it. Among other reasons, it helps me to hold off on replacing my 3G with a 3G S, knowing that, if I don't, I'll be able to get the next gen one far cheaper next year. ;)

14. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

No matter what pops up next summer, I'm holding on to this one for the life of the contract.

I hope it's a minor revision next year...

15. Que macrumors 6502

so it's good enough to make the news on cnet, but you macrumours members are too good for it?

some people need to learn that it's easier to post nothing than to post just to mock others.

16. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

Because, quite apart from what we all know cerebrally, which is that the device cycle is what it is, it is nonetheless somewhat discouraging to be twisting about to find a way to buy the one that isn't quite out yet, while a "bigger and better" one is already being discussed by companies such as chip manufacturers. I love keeping up, but since reading this morning that next year's iPhone is likely to have a dual core processor, among other niceties, I really am asking myself if I want/need to upgrade this year.

Thought processes like these are why we're already talking about next year's iPhone.

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Exactly.

I really do love the improvements in the 3G S. I'd love to get one. But, while the improvements are pretty good, a dual core phone in a year just makes me drool. I dunno why. But... if I get the 3G S and spend the $$$ to upgrade my 3G, I'll be even harder-pressed to upgrade again next year. So... this helps me calm down enough to not upgrade.

So far, at least. ;)

18. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

And then next year, when you are waiting for the new iPhone like you are now and some rumor comes out of a quad-core iPhone and some crazy specs, are you going to keep waiting? You'll never end up with a new phone if you keep waiting for the new tech.

19. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Well, by holding off you get all the stuff that's new to the 3G S and what'll be next next year. I think people are forgetting this.

Plus, who really wants to spend $700 a year on a cellphone?

20. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

You're right. Apple could have came out with a 32 GB iPhone with built in iChat, MMS, 10 hour battery life, 802.11n, GarageBand, and people would still be like, "Ugh. It still won't let me control my car like 007." :rolleyes:

21. Que macrumors 6502

why does this bother you? isn't it up to every individual as to whether they decide to be content with a specific piece of hardware or not?

22. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have an iPhone. So I clearly don't find myself paralyzed with what's-next fears, since I made the purchase. However, I think it's only prudent, when making expensive and/or contract-locked purchases, to try to figure out what will likely come out in the relatively near future before paying the money or entering into the contract.

To me, multiple cores are a huge leap, and so I'll likely wait for that. A compass and sped-up single core aren't as impressive (although, yes, I do still lust for the 3G S), so I can keep what I have.

Likewise, when I decide to get a new laptop, if it seems likely Apple will start offering quad-cores soonish, I won't buy a dual-core until the quads come out and I can compare prices. This is in contrast to the past several years, when waiting would get me a faster dual-core but not a significant step up.

23. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

I was stating my opinion on the subject since that's what this forum is for, I never said it bothered me.

24. Que macrumors 6502

i'm completely satisfied with my iphone 3g, and i'm sure i'll be just as satisfied with next years model when my contract expires.
    Therefore you and Roessnakhan who said "Because people are always unsatisfied.", which you agree with, are wrong.