New iPhone and iPod Touch specs and features leak?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by =MuLti-CeLL=, Mar 10, 2009.

1. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/20400/

http://www.derekunderwood.com/general-computer/details-regarding-new-iphone-and-ipod-touch/

• CPU: The new iPhone will have a CPU that is faster than the current CPU in the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch
    • Memory: The new iPhone and iPod Touch will have a larger amount of system memory
    • Concurrent Apps: An increase in CPU speed and system memory will allow more than one app to remain resident at a time.
    • Sandboxing Shared-Space: Apps will remain sandboxed from each other and from the system apps. However, the new iPhone platform will provide for shared-space to be used by any application
    • Substantially Improved Battery Life: Utilizing technologies most recently on display in the 17″ MacBook Pro
    • Form Factor: New iPhone will look slightly different but will be a similar size overall
    • To-Do Sync for MobileMe
    • Safari 4 and Cover Flow
    • Cut and Paste with system-wide "clipboard"
    • Pricing: Users with existing iPhones will be given the option to upgrade before their contract expires with a reduced rate for the new iPhone
    • Camera: The new iPhone will have an improved camera and will allow third party apps to access the camera and will allow for video and not just still photos

Take it for what it's worth. Although all these spec upgrades sound nice, still sounds like pure speculation to me. :rolleyes:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Sounds like everything a fanboy would scream for.

Fake. :D Seriously.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So do they list any specs besides "bigger", "faster" and "better"?

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm kinda hoping this ISN'T true because with a faster processor and more memory, the old iPhone 3G will be obsolete and not be able to use the new and exciting features. Grrr... I hate how Apple promised push in September and never gave us anything. That sucks. Now we're almost into a year of our contracts because we were tricked into thinking that push was right around the corner. Gah! Apple is being retarded lately.

By the way... how is "here is a list of likely components" a features leak. I could make a list right now of "things likely to happen sometime in the future" but that doesn't mean it would be true or even close to true.

This article is likely to be speculation and is likely to be fake. Read how many times the publisher says "likely".

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

The only thing I want is the shared common area between "sandboxes" and cut and paste. The iPhone can't really call itself a smartphone until these features are implemented. Push notifications would be nice too, but a distant dream at best.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's already in the original post. Read how many times it says "likely" in the article. This is just someone who was bored and wanted to put together a list of features they wanted in an iPhone. There's NO WAY Apple will add all of that to the next iPhone... there wouldn't be much room for improvement for the iPhone after that. Think about it... the iPhone 3G just came with 3G and GPS... that's IT besides the software. We don't need a hardware change for all the features in 2.0, but if they make a drastic hardware change, does that mean 3G owners will be left out in the cold?

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I'm struck by the information available for various types of phones.

-------

WinMo users are actually overwhelmed right now by the details available about a bunch of upcoming phones.

RIM has nowhere near as many new phones, but details are available for them as well.

Palm Pre future owners have almost zero technical details, but at least some videos.

iPhone fans are, as usual, left with the usual teenage Photoshop and blog fantasies.

8. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

this is what i am interested in..

• Pricing: Users with existing iPhones will be given the option to upgrade before their contract expires with a reduced rate for the new iPhone

9. MacGeekPro macrumors newbie

You know when Apple signed deals with the phone companies, Nearly all agreed that if Apple were to release a new iPhone, that any anyone who has any type of iPhone at that stage is eligible for the upgrade (some at a lower companies providing the upgrade at lower costs).
    Remember a little back when the latest firmware update had an "iPhone 2,1" well that was also seen a year before hand, Could anyone provide feedback if this isn't a phone upgrade? What does it mean if not new phone model?

I just can't wait for a new released iPhone. Imagine what Apple has in store for us!

Yoshi

10. 11800506 macrumors 65816

The majority of those "specs" are bound to come true anyways. "Faster CPU than the current CPU," "more memory"... Those specs aren't particularly helpful or indicative of anything since they are very vague and would follow, seeing as they are for the next iPhone.

11. MacGeekPro macrumors newbie

Ah yeah, the Palm Pre. Forgot about that.. What's your opinion on it so far? From what i've heard its going to be one of the only tough competitors to the iPhone. By that I mean not one of those phones which challenges the iPhone but has absolutely no chance against it. Like the Samsung Instinct.

The Palm Pre is only going to be a challenge because a HUGE population of iPhone onwers are actually Ex Palm owners. So with the Pre coming out i'm sure the iPhone will see some change.

Apple will ALWAYS come out on top though, they are if course, ultimately the greatest company.

Yoshi

12. MacGeekPro macrumors newbie

Haha yeah mate, those are actually really generalized terms. Surely without a doubt they will be true seen as noone likes to downgrade...

Yoshi

13. Surely Guest

Surely

You make it seem like the main reason you got an iPhone 3G and AT&T service was for push. I doubt that was the one feature that put you over the top and forced your signature on that contract.

Calling it a trick is a stretch. More accurately, it was a very cocky and premature announcement. Steve Jobs et al were a little full of themselves due to the iPhone's success up to that point. I guess they figured that they were crapping gold at that point.

I agree though, I wouldn't put much faith in an article that uses the words "likely" as often as that one. The whole article is basically stating the obvious: the next generation iPhone will be better than the current one. Duh...... really?

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Other useful infomation regarding the next iphone.

The new iphone will come in a new box with an apple on it.

15. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This would be very cool and a smart move on Apple's part as it will allow us to part with our money easier. Right now, with the 2 year contact, throwing our money Apple's way is a little bit trickier.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You mean, the next generation iPhone will *likely* be better than the current one. Duh....

I have a list:

The next generation iPhone will likely have:

Widescreen Keyboard in every app
    Email any kind of attachment
    Mobile Finder
    MMS
    Push Notifications
    Cut, Copy and Paste (instead of just cut and paste)
    Folders on the homescreen
    Calendar on the Lock screen
    Live weather icon
    A Status LED on the front of the iPhone indicating new messages
    A system-wide service to let you see new messages no matter what app you're in
    Advanced Bluetooth Capabilities

So if anything in my list comes true, then I was right about something. The article is a glorified fan-boy fantasy wish list.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

This will not happen. The subsidy for the 3G is stretched out throughout the entire 2 year contract. AT&T will not take a loss on the remaining subsidy owed to them by the contract holder. The only way that current 3G owners will be allowed to upgrade early is with a penalty fee (which will probably be paying the full price for the new iPhone).

This is the one point that screams a fanboy wrote it.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Duh, it says Safari 4!!!

I noticed the same trend as well. When people are full of S%#*, they usually go vague. They also will try to sound smart with stuff like "Safari 4" when the iPhone doesn't run "Safari 3." It runs a scaled-down version of Safari, just like the phone runs a scaled-down version of OS X. The actual Safari and OS X are so big that they wouldn't fit on an iPhone.

19. boonlar macrumors 6502

if the new iphone doesn't have a Cortex A-8 processor it is as good as dead.

20. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Thats all pretty basic and expected stuff.
    i mean more memory
    better battery
    better camera

21. =MuLti-CeLL= thread starter macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

21 times to be exact.

I suppose some are 'likely' to happen.:rolleyes:

22. MikhailT macrumors 601

It is possible that you'll be extended two years to your contract, meaning you'll still be paying both phone off with longer contract. That's why it is possible you can still pay 200$ for the new iphone, you just won't be paying until you finish paying off your first phone.

23. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It's highly likely that this is a revamp of one of our many "What will the v3 iPhone bring to the table?" threads...:eek:

24. Miker2k macrumors regular

It's like a fanboys wet dream. Too good to be true and way too general. The majority of leaks we've been seeing have had much more detailed information.