Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

branjosef

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Here's my wishlist for the new iphone

1) 13" widescreen (3250 x 350)
2) Blu-ray DVD adapter for plugging in Blue-Ray DVD players to watch my Blue-Ray DVDs on.
3) A Handle because nothing says cooler than a handle
4) Removable Battery - not for the phone, its just good to have an extra AA battery sometimes.
5) Easy to scratch plastic and/or metal back because its good to buy a shiny case
6) recessed proprietary headphone jack because Im sick of just buying any old set of headphones.
7) Copy but no paste. I think it could save all the copies and when you sync to your computer, it could transfer them to the clipboard via itunes- how cool is that!
8) A 0.2 MP camera with no focus- because world was so much cooler when it was mysterious and we didnt know what was out there.
9) Third Party logos - because it would be so fierce to have the pepsi iphone or the limited edition facebook iphone brought to you by facebook with integrated facebook app for accessing your facebook account
10) It needs to be thicker at least 2-3 inches thick. I want people to know I have an iphone and with 60% of Americans classified as obese, wouldn't it be nice to know you get a workout with your sext-ing or phonecalls. Who's the biggest loser now?

Thats it...I would looovvveee something like that. :rolleyes:

Mike2128

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
All I want is voice dialing. Real voice dialing. Something I can activate through bluetooth and not have to touch the screen for. If I wanted to touch the screen, I'd go to the phone app.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It is possible that you'll be extended two years to your contract, meaning you'll still be paying both phone off with longer contract. That's why it is possible you can still pay 200$ for the new iphone, you just won't be paying until you finish paying off your first phone.

Anything is possible. Maybe they'll drop the price. Maybe they'll drop free iPhones out of a helicopter a la WKRP. Maybe maybe maybe.

Possible doesn't matter. What matters is what is probable.

AT&T does not and will not do what you stated above. They don't do it now, they won't do it then.

The only iPhone owners that will be allowed to upgrade without extra fees will be 1st gen owners (like me)- no subsidy attached to that iPhone.

Dream on....

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This will not happen. The subsidy for the 3G is stretched out throughout the entire 2 year contract. AT&T will not take a loss on the remaining subsidy owed to them by the contract holder. The only way that current 3G owners will be allowed to upgrade early is with a penalty fee (which will probably be paying the full price for the new iPhone).

This is the one point that screams a fanboy wrote it.

This can definitely happen. All Apple has to do is sell the new unsubsidized phone at a lower, more reasonable price. It wouldn't have to have anything to do with AT&T. But, I do agree that AT&T would not subsidize another phone for a customer within their 2 year contract.

It is likely the next IPhone will be mundane and disappointing to many.

This is what I am bracing for, because this is likely what's going to happen. We can all dream, but whenever Apple updates a product, there are never really earth-shattering changes. We see this everytime a product is upgraded - everyone feels let down afterwards. Look at the changes from the original iPhone to the 3G; not much of a difference. That said, I do expect big changes to the Firmware because I'm sick of not having basic smartphone features.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This can definitely happen. All Apple has to do is sell the new unsubsidized phone at a lower, more reasonable price. It wouldn't have to have anything to do with AT&T. But, I do agree that AT&T would not subsidize another phone for a customer within their 2 year contract.

Apple doesn't lower prices on their products when they upgrade them. The price point stays the same while the product upgrades (think of all the MacBook, MBP, iPod, etc, updates that saw hardware updates but the pricing stayed the same).

Besides, why do you think that the current price is unreasonable? I paid $399 for my 16GB 1st gen iPhone in Feb 08, and I feel it was well worth the money. I would gladly pay for a new, quality upgrade.

The "price drop" that was experienced from the original iPhone to the 3G was artificial. You have to tack on $200 to the 3G's subsidized $199/299 price to get the unsubsidized prices (so $399/499- just like the pricing for the 1st gen iPhone).

If Apple decides to go the unsubsidized route again (which they won't), the price-points for the new iPhones would still be around $399/499. They would be crazy to do that, as the public would feel that Apple has raised the price significantly from the 3G.

It's just not gonna happen.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Apple doesn't lower prices on their products when they upgrade them. The price point stays the same while the product upgrades (think of all the MacBook, MBP, iPod, etc, updates that saw hardware updates but the pricing stayed the same).

It's hard to compare the iPhone to other Apple products because none of their other products are tied to subsidized 2 year contacts. The 2 year contact is prohibitive for people who want to upgrade. And yes, their products do get cheaper, in two ways; they make ones that have lesser specs (see iPod shuffle and nano) and by regular price cuts. The price of a iPod classic right now is $249. When the iPod was initially released, the top of the line model ran $499. My 20GB iPod ran me $399 a long time ago.

Besides, why do you think that the current price is unreasonable? I paid $399 for my 16GB 1st gen iPhone in Feb 08, and I feel it was well worth the money. I would gladly pay for a new, quality upgrade.

I can't argue with the way you chose to spend your money, but to me $399 is unreasonable when I already have a perfectly functioning iPhone that I bought less than 1/2 year ago. Additionally, it seems the iPhone really didn't catch-on until it was offered at subsidized prices. It seems like only the diehards bought the first generation. I don't know anyone personally who has an original iPhone (I know a lot who have 3Gs now), nor have I seen any in the wild.

It's just not gonna happen.

You may be entirely correct, but unless you work for Apple, history has shown us we really have no idea what Apple is going to do.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
So this is yet another article that just says the obvious... bigger, better, stronger, faster....

Its obvious the hardware will receive a bump across the board, memory has been clearly a bottleneck, CPU never hurts and maybe even the multi-core Cortex A9 processor even better.... Graphics will likely be the new SGX core which will give HD video and better graphics to really drive home the iPhones gaming pedigree...

Whats the big unknown is how iPhone OS 3.0 will re-revolutionise the market....

The iPhone is basically now 2 years old and needs to be given a big overhaul to drive it into the lead again - especially with the likes of the Pre coming out.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
So do they list any specs besides "bigger", "faster" and "better"?

Too true. Jeez - at least they could look at updated chips - eg will the Hammerhead II get an update (Infineon and Epson have some new stuff lined up for A-GPS chip). The whole debate about what will run CPU and GPU hasn't been agreed, no? You could have said faster better more etc prior to the iPhone 3G release...

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Firstly, how can this be fake? As someone's conjecture it's real. That doesn't say anything about the accuracy though.

I guess we'll see but my first gen iphone still works fine and unless Apple really step up (which they've failed to do when I was looking at a new Macbook and a new iMac recently) then I'll be looking more and more toward Android in it's future incarnations.

It's nice Apple have competition.

Ademius

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Will people please stop conjuring up these out of this world expectations?
Remember last year's update? From GSM to 3G, with an added assisted-GPS. They also replaced the recessed headphone jack with a flush one. But that was about it, except for a slight change in design.

With both 3G and GPS out of the way, what major hardware bumb can we really expect without making both the 3G and the Edge-version hopelessly obsolete? I can only think of one thing. That is photo and video. I think it's more probable they'll update the camera, making it actually good for being on a cell phone. It would also be able to shoot video.

A camera upgrade alone won't make me upgrade. I think we're getting much more software updates, rather than hardware ones.

Oh, and of course, 802.11n. Broadcom issued a press release for mobile 802.11n chips back in december*.

"The BCM4329 combination chip is now sampling to early access customers and is scheduled for significant production quantities in 2009. Pricing is available upon request."

*http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=1233460&industry_id=2

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Remember last year's update? From GSM to 3G, with an added assisted-GPS. They also replaced the recessed headphone jack with a flush one. But that was about it, except for a slight change in design.

With both 3G and GPS out of the way, what major hardware bumb can we really expect without making both the 3G and the Edge-version hopelessly obsolete? I can only think of one thing. That is photo and video. I think it's more probable they'll update the camera, making it actually good for being on a cell phone. It would also be able to shoot video.

A camera upgrade alone won't make me upgrade. I think we're getting much more software updates, rather than hardware ones.

Oh, and of course, 802.11n. Broadcom issued a press release for mobile 802.11n chips back in december*.

"The BCM4329 combination chip is now sampling to early access customers and is scheduled for significant production quantities in 2009. Pricing is available upon request."

*http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=1233460&industry_id=2

Let me get this straight, you want everyone else to stop predicting except you?

:D

I'm only kidding with you though. This is a rumour site it's nice to hear what people might want to see.

Ademius

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Let me get this straight, you want everyone else to stop predicting except you?

:D

I'm only kidding with you though. This is a rumour site it's nice to hear what people might want to see.

I never said I wanted people to stop predicting, I urged them to be reasonable.

An updated camera and the addition of 802.11n sounds unreasonable to you?

I'd love to hear what you think Apple will do with the iPhone, with competition from Palm and Android-based phones. :)

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I never said I wanted people to stop predicting, I urged them to be reasonable.

An updated camera and the addition of 802.11n sounds unreasonable to you?

Actually I pretty much agree on the caution.

I'd love to hear what you think Apple will do with the iPhone, with competition from Palm and Android-based phones. :)

Well, I wish that Apple hadn't vetoed the use of multitouch in Android. It's difficult to see me move from an iPhone tbh. However, I'm defo ready for a new phone.

Moving away from MobileMe though is definitely an easy decision :)

=MuLti-CeLL=

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
m0biLe
Remember last year's update? From GSM to 3G, with an added assisted-GPS. They also replaced the recessed headphone jack with a flush one. But that was about it, except for a slight change in design.[/URL]

I have to agree.

So with that I'll add...most macrumors members will "likely" be pissed shortly after WWDC.

...and I'll "likely" be one of those folks. :D

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
MY SOURCES tell me that the new iphone will have:

An ARM processor 333MHz (slighty slower than actual iphone).

A camera with 1.3 megapixels.

A downgraded bluetooth chip so isn't compatible with majority of headsets.

Some extras: Voiceover on your music and you can change springboard background image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.