Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Haven't seen this reported yet but on Wednesday, a friend of mine, who is an actor, auditioned for a new Apple commercial. After he signed the NDA, they revealed that the commercial would be for a new phone. His line that he read was "Welcome to the dark side!"

Since I never signed an NDA, I thought I'd share this with all of you. You can speculate what "Welcome to the dark side" means but it's also very likely they used a random line just to audition actors.

Whatever the case may be, it is a fact that Apple is ready to start filming a commercial for a new iPhone, as surprising as that may be.

Cheers.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Wow, I can't believe they're filming for a device that won't ship until at least 8 months from now. :rolleyes:

juswest

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Sounds like another 4S commercial. I remember the flack apple caught when they discounted the original iPhone a few months after release, I doubt they want that headache again.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Possible it is a 4S commercial but would they ask him to sign an NDA for a product already released?

Maybe it's a high end version starting at $400? iPhone Pro?

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Possible it is a 4S commercial but would they ask him to sign an NDA for a product already released?

Maybe it's a high end version starting at $400? iPhone Pro?

Yes, they could.

It could be for another phone.

nitro230

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Are you sure its not a commercial for android?? Sounds reasonable for the new Droid 4 that is going be released soon.

Even if you get over the fact that Apple would never put a new phone out a couple of months after the 4s came out, "welcome to the dark side" just doesn't seem to fit Apples current marketing stance.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
...a friend of mine, who is an actor, auditioned for a new Apple commercial. After he signed the NDA, they revealed that the commercial would be for a new phone. His line that he read was "Welcome to the dark side!"
By telling you, didn't your friend just violate the NDA? If so, I'm guessing he's probably not going to get the gig.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Are you sure its not a commercial for android?? Sounds reasonable for the new Droid 4 that is going be released soon.

Even if you get over the fact that Apple would never put a new phone out a couple of months after the 4s came out, "welcome to the dark side" just doesn't seem to fit Apples current marketing stance.

1. The client for the commercial is Apple and that is verified. Any talent agent could see the casting notices in the breakdowns last week.
2. "Welcome to the dark side" is most likely a line used just to audition actors and doesn't mean anything.
3. The product is a new phone.

They auditioned at least 100 actors so more reports of this will most likely be coming soon (unless they all abide by their NDA, which is unlikely).

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
They auditioned at least 100 actors so more reports of this will most likely be coming soon (unless they all abide by their NDA, which is unlikely).
...or unless each actor was given a different phrase to read, in which case it would be pretty easy to identify the one who broke the NDA. Hope that's not the case. :)

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Ok, I think I figured it out. This is the most likely scenario.

They are starting an ad campaign similar to "Mac vs PC". There will be a "iPhone guy" and an "Android guy". They are auditioning the "android guy" and that's why he says "welcome to the dark side." In the casting notices, they were seeking somewhat geeky guys in their 20s. This all makes sense now.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Your friend is lying. Apple or any other company would never tell actors about a new phone or new product during tryouts. Even though your friend signed a NDA doesn't mean they told him anything other the your trying out for an apple commercial and the product is a phone.

OafTobark

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Ok, I think I figured it out. This is the most likely scenario.

They are starting an ad campaign similar to "Mac vs PC". There will be a "iPhone guy" and an "Android guy". They are auditioning the "android guy" and that's why he says "welcome to the dark side." In the casting notices, they were seeking somewhat geeky guys in their 20s. This all makes sense now.

this makes sense.
a new phone doesn't.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Or how about this scenario?

"Welcome to the Dark Side" is just something he read for the audition and has absolutely nothing to do with the commercial.....or it might. Something to do with the White and Black colors available? :confused:

I am thinking it is for the iPhone 4S, which is their "new phone". With Holiday shopping approaching, they are probably ramping up their marketing. I am also thinking it is possible your friend may had misunderstood?

It just wouldn't make sense to release a brand new design right after a very successful release. Especially without any leaks, rumors, blurbs, and news being circulated, speculated on, etc.

But hey.....I could be wrong :)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
None of Apple's recent commercials has actors speaking anything. (last one was get a Mac).

Currently, the spoken line is either a voice over or of Apple executives.

ron808

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
West Coast, USA
Guess what?

My neighbor's actor cousin who's also a Facebook friend of a friend joined that audition.

They got bored a stuck a flute in the director's !#!@. :rolleyes:

I wish we could learn how to analyze keenly before we post something hysterical .

Bronken

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Pics or it didn't hap.... aaaah it didnt happen anyway ;)

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
3. The product is a new phone.

This doesn't even come close to passing a "sniff test" for legitimate. If they're hiring actors - what POSSIBLE reason would Apple have to tell them that it's for a "New" phone? It's not relevant to the audition process. They might indicate that it's for a "phone" (even that isn't terribly relevant for an actor prepping for audition).

Your friend the actor either heard wrong, or inferred something that wasn't correct.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
My sister's friend's cousin's boyfriend knows a butcher who delivers meat to an Apple mailroom boy - and he said there will be a new iPhone very soon and it will be able to perform various sexual acts outlawed in 32 states.

I believe every word - the butcher wouldn't lie.

So there...

:rolleyes: :p ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.