New iPhone SE coming out this year ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Che Castro, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

do you think a new iPhone SE will come out this year in march /April ?

If a new one does come out will they keep the current one and make it cheaper

2. eduschean macrumors newbie

It's very doubtful that they will make another SE this spring, but there are rumors that there might be 3 models coming out in the fall which would be nice. The fact that SE means Special Edition means it was a one time thing.

3. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Nope, in my opinion, the next 4" update won't happen until Spring 2018 (and with a new design, too). The A9 processor is just too good to update, since we've never had the low-end iPhone with such a recent processor. If anything, they might bump-up the storage to 32GB and 128GB.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Yup, it'll take 2-3 years after the first model for a proper refresh.

5. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

No. 2018 likely. And it's hard to say how Apple will keep the previous iPhone SE in the line up, when and if a new version of the SE is released.

6. Negan Lannister Suspended

Negan Lannister

A Special Edition with a not-so special design rehashing it twice. That wasn't a one-time thing.

7. eduschean macrumors newbie

Oh so there will be another one this year? Is that what you're saying? Because usually if something is a special edition, it's already a special edition on another model. It's fairly obvious. They weren't trying to fool anyone. They just put better internals on an old design.

8. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

In all honesty, I don't think the SE needs to be updated this year anyway. It still runs buttery smooth on iOS 10. 2018 update would make more sense to release a hardware update.

9. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I doubt there will be any major refresh of the SE. I'd even be surprised if Apple changed the storage sizes.

SE exists for only one main reason: Apple's data showed that many owners of smaller phones weren't upgrading to the devices with 4.7 and 5.5 inch displays. The SE exists to keep loyal customers in the iOS camp. During the SE presentation 9 months ago, I remember Apple saying that they'd received a lot of customer feedback asking for a smaller device.

While I think the SE is a one-time product, I think it does pave the way for future generations of iPhone to include a "mini" model. Tim Cook admitted that demand for the SE was higher than Apple expected, so this size phone is worth making in the future. If the Home Button can be integrated into the touch screen, I expect that Apple could fit a 4.5 or 4.7 inch display into a device roughly the same size as the SE.

10. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I just got an SE and it hasn't been buttery smooth with iOS 10. Actually went through 2 of them within in weeks. I'm waiting for Apple to fix iOS 10 and iTunes in the next update. Still enjoy using this size. The 6s/6s+ 7s/7s+ are too big to hold.

11. Luther Mac macrumors newbie

Luther Mac

I sure hope they eventually come out with a iPhone 7/8 "mini" that is the same form factor as the SE. I'd love to get the benefits of the water resistance that the 7's have.

I hate the larger phones.

12. ThunderMasterMind macrumors 6502

ThunderMasterMind

I've had my iPhone 6S for a year now, and being the tech savvy person I am, I have had a few iPhone 5S' in to repair, and I really like the form factor and design of them, when I test them after a repair. I have always loved the iPhone 5, especially paired with Black/Slate and iOS 6. That was the most beautiful iPhone I had ever seen, yet I never owned one, I had the 4, 4S, then the 6S. With this in mind, I am really waiting on a new SE, because my 6S certainly has spoiled me with 3D touch and 2nd gen Touch ID. I never was too fond of the 4.7 inch display, I know some people find it just right, but I'm one of those people that prefer ease of use over size, 4" is just perfect. We are soon to be switching carriers from Verizon to AT&T, and I would like to get the SE, but I doubt I will get it until it's updated with the latest tech. I am really eyeballing the Jet Black 7, but I think it would be best to wait and keep my 6S, until the SE gets some love. I would love it if Apple would update it with the new black colors, 3D touch, 2nd gen Touch ID, and aluminum 7000 for that extra strength, but I don't really know if the SE will get an update this year. Everything I found said they aren't going to refresh it early this year, which probably means it won't come around until 2018 or even later, because Apple for whatever reason doesn't see it as a high-end iPhone, more so it being a budget phone, even though it's a 6S in a small shell. I understand their focus is on the iPhone 7 and upcoming model, but I sure wish they would tinker with the SE.
    I want to find out if there is anything that I am missing and want to know when the SE will get an update, if it gets one at all anytime soon. Does anyone have some info/rumors?

[​IMG]

13. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The iPhone SE likely won't be updated in 2017. It's still a fairly efficient and powerful iPhone and will be for quite some Time. It will be reaching its one year anniversary in March, that said, I feel it will likely see an update in 2018.

There of been very few rumors about the SE being updated in 2017, which leads me to believe that we will see a new version, but not anytime soon.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-iphone-se-coming-out-this-year.2025344/

15. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

16. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The iPhone SE is cheap enough where I've seen quite a few people purchase it out right versus financing it or subsidizing it on a contract with the carrier. That's one of the main reasons it's very popular, aside from it being a great iPhone, is the price point and affordability.

17. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

I think iPhone SE is still a damn good phone,no chance to be updated this year. I am rather waiting for iPhone 7S Plus in jet black :(

18. SSAJ macrumors 6502

The SE wont be updating in 2017 it will be updated in 2018 with the iPhone 7 specs or iPhone 7S's specs

19. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I picked up an SE yesterday. Very smooth, very fast.

I admit that my hand still prefers the 4/4S format lol.

The 6 Plus I had was near unwieldy.

20. Math889 macrumors 65816

I disagree. Apple will release another SE . Spring 2018 . The 5C was a one time product . SE not .
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2017 ---
    With the 7S specs ,7 will be outdated next year. If Apple launches an SE 2 with A10 chip next year .I won't upgrade for sure . I may be holding my SE until no longer gets OS updates . I want to see how far the A9 processor can go
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2017 ---
    Clearly , the A7,A9 was a big jump over their predecessors. That's why I prefer to stick with S gen processors . The next big jump will be the A11 . But I may hold off and I want to see the A13

21. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

Update I got the SE space gray 64gb unlocked

22. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

That's what I bought last year.

I don't like the 6/6s design, and I wasn't ready to give up headphone jack, so the SE was the logical choice. The only thing I wish the SE had was water resistance.

I plan to keep the SE until Apple releases a new phone design that eliminates the Home Button and allows more screen space in a smaller phone. I think the SE is powerful enough that I can wait a long time if necessary.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

Yep.
    That's what it means.
    Sadly no iPhone SE :(

24. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Going to be very interesting to see what Apple does with the smaller design iPhone. While I've had the 6 and the 7 now, I still would prefer a smaller form factor if all things other things are basically equal.