Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple suppliers will begin producing display panels for the third-generation iPhone SE this month, with final assembly of the device likely to start in March, according to information shared by display industry consultant Ross Young.

iphone-se-2020-top.jpeg

Based on this production timeframe, Young believes the third-generation iPhone SE is likely to launch in the second half of April, or perhaps in early May at the latest. iPhone SE launches have always taken place in the spring, with the original model launching in March 2016 and the second-generation model launching in April 2020.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman recently tweeted that Apple will be holding a spring event to announce the new iPhone SE and other new hardware. Last year, Apple held an event on April 20 to unveil the AirTag, new iPad Pro and 24-inch iMac models powered by the M1 chip, a new Apple TV 4K, and a purple color option for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini.

The third-generation iPhone SE is expected to have the same design as the current iPhone SE, including a 4.7-inch display. Key new features rumored for the device include the same A15 Bionic chip as iPhone 13 models and 5G support.

Young has proven to be a reliable source of display-related information for future Apple products. Last year, for example, he accurately claimed that the new iPad mini would feature an 8.3-inch display with the home button removed. He was also first to report that the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro would feature ProMotion displays.

Article Link: New iPhone SE Likely to Launch in April Based on Production Timeframe

Last edited:

soupfm

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2021
Make it the design of iPhone 11 and I'll retire the 13 Pro at hand for it.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Apple 5G SE model starting panel production this month. Phone production likely from March.

Since the screen size of this SE 2022 is rumoured to be exactly the same as SE 2020, can’t they use the same panels as they use now with SE 2020? I mean, they have the panels being produced for SE 2020 already, so what’s so special about these new ones?

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Apple 5G SE model starting panel production this month. Phone production likely from March.

Since the screen size of this SE 2022 is rumoured to be exactly the same as SE 2020, can’t they use the same panels as they use now with SE 2020? I mean, they have the panels being produced for SE 2020 already, so what’s so special about these new ones?
Well, maybe it's supposed to be getting display changes/improvements?

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Dang :confused: Same design as the previous year iPhone SE. I was really hoping Apple would adopt the iPhone Mini design factor for 2022, iPhone SE. Since iPhone 14 might be getting a total re-design why not the SE.
My thought is that most iPhone SE owners probably don't want much of a design change and would like to keep the TouchID button forever. Also probably something related to the pandemic and keeping the effort/money put into the device at a minimum.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Who even wants this phone I don’t see any place for it, shame on apple keeping such a dated phone out for this long and 5g isn’t needed it’s not even faster for me than 4g

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Buying this and iPad for my mom’s birthday this year! Perfect timing too. She currently has iPhone 6s, but I think it’s buggy. When I WhatsApp call her she never responds.

It might well be WhatsApp that is buggy, try FaceTime or other messengers?

TheMacPotato

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2006
London
Who even wants this phone I don’t see any place for it, shame on apple keeping such a dated phone out for this long and 5g isn’t needed it’s not even faster for me than 4g
I still want touch ID, I don't care about the bezels (they frame the screen nicely and are handy to hold the phone with!), I don't care about multiple cameras on the back (one good one does the job well) and an up to date processor and 5G future proofs it more. The Price, I am sure, will be very competitive for a super fast phone.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Dang :confused: Same design as the previous year iPhone SE. I was really hoping Apple would adopt the iPhone Mini design factor for 2022, iPhone SE. Since iPhone 14 might be getting a total re-design why not the SE.
The iPhone Mini chassis would be a perfect SE chassis. The SE is now an 8 year old design, and it shows. And adding 5G to a phone with subpar battery already sounds like a great idea…

Mega ST

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Europe
I don't care so much about the form factor or any notch but about Touch ID. And I like the price point of the SE. If the battery life is good enough I am ready to buy. But I will need more than 128 GB of RAM as an option.
I like the SE product line and the fact that apple sells almost the latest chips and even 5G now at bargain prices.

Reactions: TMax

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
There will not be an SE this year. It will be refreshed next year 2023, with the 13 mini design.
This would be my expectation as well. It’s well known the 4G SE suffers from poor battery life so I’m not sure why they would use the same design plus add 5G unless it’s drastically more efficient. Being that it’s hard to find a consistent signal anywhere I go, I doubt it.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Good.

Returned my 13 mini because, despite being an awesome device, with an awesome screen, awesome form factor, and awesome cameras, having to put my passcode each time (because of face masks incompatibility with Face ID) was such a pain.

Now that I came back to my old iPhone 8 I’ve realized how awesome it is to unlock my phone seamlessly with my thumb. I think I will buy this upcoming iPhone SE 2022 if they manage to include a bigger battery, the Qualcomm X60 5G modem, and a decent -for 2022 standards- camera. And hopefully, the noise cancelling feature for the calls. I will miss the awesome cameras and form factor from the 13 mini, but at this point I value much more having a fingerprint reader.

Reactions: TMax
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.