New iPhone spec's (maybe)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TSX, May 21, 2009.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

After reading what daringfireball had to say about the spec's i feel like i need to sell my 3g now just to be ready for the new one lol. The daringfireball link below has more info about the spec's. Hope these are true!

http://daringfireball.net/2009/05/the_next_iphone

I got this from the iPhoneblog,

"John Gruber of DaringFireball.net, who knows people who know people — no names! — has weighed in with his opinion on what we just might see from Apple in terms of a next generation iPhone at WWDC 2009.

Very likely: July release with roughly double the CPU power, digital compass, better camera with video shooting + editing, and 16GB/32GB SKUs.

Somewhat likely: Same $199/$299 price point, 256MB of RAM

Just maybe: Better battery life

Very unlikely: iTablet at WWDC

Sorta unlikely but…: iPhone mini at WWDC.

We’re guessing that’s soft affirmation from him on both the iTablet and iPhone mini/nano, just not yet.

Pretty much in line with all the other rumors, so consider this just more weight on the scales."

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Immediately invalidates everything else, I think. :(

3. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Some of this most of us have heard.

From Daring fireball:
    The 600 MHz CPU in the next iPhone will be more than 1.5 times as fast as the current 400 MHz iPhone CPU.

Faster app launching should make it feel more like switching between apps and less like quitting/relaunching them.

iPhones will sport 256 MB of memory, up from the 128 MB in all current models.

A magnetometer (a.k.a. a compass)

An improved camera that will shoot video (and improved still images, thanks to an auto-focus lens; the existing iPhone camera lens is fixed-focus).

Video, in fact, will be one of the major features Apple plans to tout regarding the new model.

Prices will stay the same — $199 and $299 — but storage will increase to 16 and 32 GB.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

These specs seem reasonable. We always get grossly underwhelmed with Apple's final specs. I can see a better processor or more RAM, but not likely both. Just keepin' it real.

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

Agreed, these specs seem reasonable. I'm not expecting much more than a slightly faster CPU and more RAM, to be honest.

6. Perk macrumors member

At this point, I wouldn't really try and predict anything. WWDC is 16 days away.

Just wait and see.

7. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Gruber genuinely does have sources inside Apple and (as far as I can recall), all the predictions he's given stock to in the past have turned out to be correct.

The video capability, for one, has been mentioned elsewhere and I think (aside from speed) that improving the quality of the camera is probably the most requested change. If Apple fulfils it (as they are 99% certain to do) then the logical usage of that — other than nicer snaps — is video.

I definitely think both in addition to the 16GB/32GB sizes. The Palm Pre comes out a matter of days before WWDC, and though that'll have little bearing on something presumably decided some time ago Apple are going to want to keep competitive and this is the best way to do it. I've got an original iPhone on pay-as-you-go, but if they bring out a 32GB model with all these improvements, I'll be one of the first in line and I certainly won't be alone.

8. Perk macrumors member

I've been wondering how good the iPhone is on pay-as-you-go. I've got friends who didn't really encourage the idea of an iPhone without instant-internet connection. They said the iPhone, that way, would be useless.

Edit: In Italy, iPhones are sold unlocked. I've been wanting an iPhone and don't really know how it's like on PAYG (pay-as-you-go.)

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Why? Couldn't the iPhone mini just be people barking up the wrong tree?
    What if the iPhone mini was a remote replacement?

Don't think i've seen many arguements that hold water against the hardware changes he thinks will likely happen.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Those sound very good, but I think AT&T is going to have to budge for me to bite. I'm still on the EDGE phone, and I sure do like just an extra $20/month and 200 free texts (I maybe use about 25/month). I'm still paying on a new car, I'm buying a home, and I just bit on a $350 Blu-ray Disc player because it's hella cool, hella fast, and hella Netflixed. Hey, it's saving me money on movies!

I have to think I'm not the only person in this boat. DSL started out as one price for one speed. As more people got it, the speeds tiered out and prices were more affordable for lower speeds. I'm hoping this marks the year when US companies go that route on mobile data. Hell, charge people $40 for some premium data plan that allows the use of SlingBox.

11. randomusername macrumors 6502

After this rumor and two other major ones, I've noticed they all have:
    -600MHz CPU
    -256MB of RAM
    -16GB and 32GB models
    -$199 and $299 prices
    -3.2 megapixel camera with video recording and editing
    -Magnetometer

I'm expecting these on the new iPhone. I'm also expecting...
    -Matte plastic back in black and at least one other color
    -Something to replace the chrome bezel (either a brushed metal or the plastic back wraps around).
    -Improved WiFi 802.11n or faster 3G support
    -Some form of multi-tasking
    -A place to find geotagged photos in Maps

12. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

Why are you expecting this?

13. Shabbis macrumors regular

To shut down all the Pre fanbois!

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

iPhones already have "some form" of multitasking. If you don't believe me, start playing a song and then go do something else. You can open almost any app that I know of with the iPod app going. At some point, big developer apps from people like Google or GPS companies will probably have some way of doing it.

15. Oliver.m macrumors regular

Oliver.m

Can't believe it's getting so close now. Really can't wait. I would be happy with those specs the one thing i want other than 3.0 is 32GB, mine is currently full.

16. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

WHO can wait?

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Palm. Microsoft. :D

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Skil!!! You are back!

19. JCastro macrumors 6502a

These specs are coming out everywhere. I don't know if they are all repeating the same source or not. But I am inclined to believe that they are probably right on the mark though. Except for the Iphone mini. I think it was someone at Apple that said in one of the Apple board meetings that they were not going after the "cheaper" phone market. Things could change if they saturate the market they are in. I think they are doing better though by working with AT&T and offering the subsidized pricing.

20. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Let me get this straight.

Gruber says he would 'bet money' on the updated iPhone specs and is very sure about them. Then, about the iPhone Mini he describes those rumors as "Would Not Wager Upon, But, Well, I’ve Heard Things."

So because he repeats something he's heard with the warning that he doesn't really believe it...you're going to ignore the stuff he did say he was sure about?