New iPhone this Summer or No? Your Guesses.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Indy21, Jan 11, 2009.

?

We will see a new version of iphone...

1. This Summer (June, WWDC?).

72 vote(s)
    69.9%
  2. No time soon.

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Earlier than this Summer.

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Later, closer to 2010.

18 vote(s)
    17.5%
  5. I hate this thread but posted anyways cause I'm bored. =P

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Indy21 macrumors 6502

With several 'Rumors' floating around in the past week or so...

Multi-Cores's and 3.0???
    http://www.macrumors.com/2009/01/08/new-multi-core-iphone-with-firmware-3-0/

Questionable Timelines??? (Or given for what some of you know)
    http://www.macrumors.com/2009/01/09/schiller-on-apples-yearly-product-timelines/

New PowerVR Chip???
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._may_give_apples_future_iphone_hd_opencl.html

...as well as the release of a rather nice looking phone/os with the new Palm Pre...

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/01/09/palm-pre-smartphone-announced-webos-wireless-charging-app-store/

...where does everyone stand as far as believeing we may see a new iphone this summer, saaay...WWDC?

I know that most predict and assume (including me) that we will definately see a capacity bump but that's not really the only thing I'm expecting now.

Mostly do to the Pre's announcement this has got me wondering what will :apple: do if anything to counter-attack? 1st Gen iphone owners contracts will be ending and they may not want the current 3G because, well, maybe they would have gotten it by now after their 1 year upgrade with AT&T was up. Would have been the same price then as it is at the end of contract correct? The Pre is determined to come out in the first half of 2009 which could probably place it close to the WWDC show (if in fact were even getting a show).

Anyways, please cast a vote and maybe list a short reason why or why not along with (not to overlay a certain other thread) what you expect and when you expect.

Thanks.

;)

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Absolutely: Apple never lets big profit portable devices remain stale, it'll most certainly be updated.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Phil confirmed what we already knew: iPhone once a year, every year in June.

/thread

4. Indy21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the non-flammable replies so far folks, now please go vote! :D

5. Indy21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tallest I figured you'd be FIRST to post, your slippin up my man.

:p

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's late. I need to get to bed. He must have only been seconds ahead of me, though; we have the same timestamp. :p

7. RandomAlec macrumors newbie

RandomAlec

Well I'm glad to see there is at least some hope for one this summer because I'm definitely getting it, I'm way done with my 1st gen 4GB iPhone.

You guys thinks it will be announced by the end of February or after that?

8. Indy21 thread starter macrumors 6502

I swear man, you're usually RIGHT THERE!

LoL, thanks for your vote. ;)

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what new features will this new iphone have? Besides video, MMS and background push, what else would one what? ichat?

edit- ichat meaning a video conference.

10. RandomAlec macrumors newbie

RandomAlec

Honestly all I want is video, MMS, and the biggest is definitely a bigger capacity (32GB please Apple?). :)

11. jason72780 macrumors regular

And since the phone is subsidized now, there is no way att will let iPhone users get a new subsidized phone every year while everyone else has to wait for their contract to end. What are some of your thoughts on how that will be handled if there will indeed be a new phone every year?

12. RandomAlec macrumors newbie

RandomAlec

Well, it would be nice if every time they came out with a new one, all users that purchased an iPhone before the latest release within 3 or 6 months gets a $100 store credit.

Remember when they did that with early iPhone adopters when they came out with the 3G? I still have my store credit. :cool:

13. jason72780 macrumors regular

I doubt that will happen, but I was mainly asking about us upgrading every year while all other AT&T users cant.

14. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

they did that then too?

i remember getting my $100-sorry we lowered the price gift card

15. jbode macrumors member

Yeah, I read that a new iPhone was coming this summer from several online sources, but you never know.

It would be nice if Apple gave a discount to current iPhone users, but they know that this will cause a lot more unlocked iPhones to be sold.

16. RandomAlec macrumors newbie

RandomAlec

I just want an announcement already, I've never been so damn anxious for a new phone, I need it, my 4GB is packed with all I can fit in it and plenty is still missing. I don't want the 3G that's out now because with all the announcements of multi-core and all the new iPhone will for sure be new hardware.

17. dmkemick macrumors member

I'm going to be in the market for a phone this summer, I hope there's a new rev as soon as possible.

18. davyreins macrumors 6502

I would be shocked if they didn't upgrade/change the iPhone this summer

19. pisces03x macrumors regular

I just voted for all of the options in the poll. :cool:

20. Indy21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well then whatever happens lets just go on record that I agreed with you 100%!

:D

Thank you for all the votes and replies so far everyone.

21. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

Apple is pretty religious when it comes to product releases. The obsolescence age for electronics ranges from about 12-18 months. So far the 3G was released roughly a year after the original so I think they will most likely follow this trend and release their 3rd gen iphone June/July-ish.

22. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

This summer or sooner - all depends on what else happens in the cell phone market.

23. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    +1

/thread

24. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

All i want is MMS with the iphone and GPS. Turn by turn would be nice, but is not a must. (Since i can buy a real GPS system)

Would MMS just be a iphone update right? (I mean Software) I was about to buy one next weekend, but now not sure.