Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I was at my local Apple Store today with a friend that just enjoys asking the staff when the new iPhone is coming out. Of course even if they knew, they wouldn't say. We all know that.

However, I thought if they were rolling something this big out wouldn't they have blocked out the Genius Bar appointments for tomorrow? They would be too busy wrapping up new sales and activating phones. So as soon as I got home I made an appointment for late afternoon, for this Monday. Sure enough, I was able to make an appointment. In fact most of the day was wide open for appointments.

So unless I get an e-mail from Apple that my appointment is cancelled I guess the actual roll-out of new hardware is in the future. Well at least I'll have a shot at the Genius Bar should 3.0 frag my iPhone ;)

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
It's almost certain that the new iPhones (assuming they do exist) won't be in stores tomorrow. In January 2007, the original iPhone was announced and demoed almost six months before launch and in June 2008, the iPhone 3G was announced and demoed a month before launch.

Given that us developers are stuck with iPhone OS 3.0 Beta 5 at the moment, it's fair to assume that the final version hasn't yet (or has only very recently) been completed. Given the time it would take to manufacture the new hardware with OS 3.0 or upgrade the ones already completed it's likely there'll be delay in getting them into stores.

A month sounds about right to me.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I didn't realize that was fact. I agree with you, but we don't "know" anything.
Of course we don't! The launch of OS 3.0 - Yes. The "New" iPhone - No!

The rumour mongers are believing their own rumours!! :)

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
I have an appointment at Apple tomorrow at 11:30am, just in time to catch WWDC online after. There's no way the new hardware is goin on sale tomorrow.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
I was at my local Apple Store today with a friend that just enjoys asking the staff when the new iPhone is coming out. Of course even if they knew, they wouldn't say. We all know that.

That's because they seriously don't know. They know as much as we know. And they are just as big of MacRumors fans as we are -- they're just quiet about it. So when we find out, they find out. The only people who actually know are the important people down in Cupertino right now.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I didn't realize that was fact. I agree with you, but we don't "know" anything.

We know that the original iPhone was announced 6 months before its release and that the iPhone 3G was announced a month before its release.

puercaeli

macrumors regular
May 10, 2008
15th June is the most convincing one I heard
rumor comes from Germany but it is just one person claiming so who knows...

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Of course we don't know for 100% sure, but there is absolutely nothing that points to a Monday release. Not rumors, not speculation, not past history with the device, nothing.

Proof?

Steve call me a little while ago and told me.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
New iPhone hasn't been cleared with the FCC. That process takes a minimum of 30 days. No new phones tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.