New iPhones, New Number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MichaelMidnight, Sep 13, 2015.

1. MichaelMidnight macrumors regular

MichaelMidnight

Ok, this is probably going to be a personal preference sort of question that really depends on the individual, but I wanted to know, when you change your phone, how many of you also opt to get new numbers? True for businesses and people who use the phone feature a lot, changing numbers is pretty much a no-no but sometimes I get a kick of getting a new number. Plus it helps when you're going Uber and Lyft. But yeah, How many of you opt to change your number when you get new phones?

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I've only ever changed my number once, and I had to by force (both iMessage was acting up when I switched to Android and they were having a tough time getting it deregistered, and also because someone was semi-harassing me), and I hated having to.

I will never change the number I have now for as long as I can get away with it.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

The vast majority wouldn't want to change numbers in general even for good reasons, let alone just for the fun of it essentially.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

How does a new number help with Uber & Lyft?

No, I've never changed my number.

5. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I know exactly zero people who change their phone number for the fun of it.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Our numbers have not changed since 2004 when we came back to Sprint after a one year absence because we could not afford to maintain a cell phone bill each month.

So no. Never changed it. That would be an extreme hassle for everyone that needs to contact us.

7. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Have business cards with my number so I'll never change it. Had this one for five years, would feel wrong to switch it now.

8. MichaelMidnight thread starter macrumors regular

MichaelMidnight

I guess I'm in the minority here. At least for me, I don't use the phone aspect as much since most of my communication goes through FB Messenger, iMessage, and Social Media.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

For many iMessage is still phone number based as they use it interchangeably with SMS.

10. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Unless someone has like 5 contacts in his contact list, or he wins a lottery and wants to disappear, I don't think of any reason to get a new number.

Jokes aside, sorry if I'm wrong but I think you're very young, perhaps in middle or high school. Since as an adult, everyone needs a real number.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

That sounds really impractical and inconvenient. If there's anyone who needs to reach you by phone or text (friends, family, coworkers, your doctor, your bank, etc.) you have to make sure they know your new number.

I don't see this as being feasible for an adult.

12. wksj macrumors member

I'll probably never change my number because it's close to perfect. 5xx-x55-5555 I'd change it only if I can get one with more 5s.

New number = new account = free ride
    I don't know if it's possible in the US, but in Canada, you can get some providers' SIM cards for free/close to free, activate it, sign up for Uber, then get rid of the SIM card. Rinse and repeat, without changing your main number. That's what I'm doing. :oops:

13. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I only had to change my number once because the fact that I kept getting scam calls and got fed up with it and went to AT&T and asked to change my number and they did it for free.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I've changed my number a couple times, but that was because I was going to school out of the country and the prepaid sims that I used when I came back to the US usually expired in the amount of time I was gone and I didn't want to put money on when I was out of the country and not going to use it. Since I came back about 2 years ago I haven't changed it and I don't plan to unless I leave the country again and then I obviously will need a new number.

15. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Yay for sneaky theft. ;/

If they're offering free rides for new numbers, that's their fault, yes, I understand. However taking advantage of it like that? Wow.

16. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I've had the same number since I got my first cel phone, a MetroPCS Kyocera 2235 back in 2004.

I see no reason whatsoever to change my number other than possibly persistent harassment. In fact I'm rather fond of my number and that I've been able to have it be the same for 11 years now.

Quite a few phones have had it:

Kyocera 2235
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Pre
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 6

17. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Except for an area code change i've had the same cell phone number for 20 years. I don't see the desire to get someone else's old number, and get calls to them. I've had that enough with my home phone.

18. leenak macrumors 68020

I changed my number when I went to iPhone because my old number was a work phone so I couldn't keep it... But it is a bit of a pain because I had a lot of things to change from various credit card companies, banks, new tags for my dogs/cats, updating my number with various services that I use. Yeah, nope not going to change my number. I am getting a new number but that is going to be my dedicates business number so I'll have a personal number and a business number.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't say I ever changed my number, Its like changing your email address but worse. The level of hassle far outweighs any benefit (if there is any benefit).

20. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Always kept my number, only give it out to people that I want to have it. Had my number for about 12 years now.

Although I've had a SIM only plan for a year now so it will be a lot easier to keep it now.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have to correct myself, I had to change my number once. It was before the age of taking your phone numbers with you, when cell phones were still a young technology. Once when we could finally take our number with us, I never looked back :)

22. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Never heard of someone changing their number for no reason ... OP, you may be the first to think of it.

23. philbo7 macrumors regular

philbo7

I've had the same number for 14 years (ever since my first cell phone). Even when I moved out of state I still have the old area code. I'd rather people think I live in the old state based on my area code than get a new number. I don't understand why anyone would want to go through the hassle of changing their number just for the fun of it.

24. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

Who wants to change their phone number? It's a major PITA!

25. noobinator macrumors 601