iPhone XS Max New iPhones: not worth it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kulfon, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Kulfon macrumors 6502

Kulfon

I know this is just an opinion of one man. I was using 6s for 3 years. Now I have Max. I have to say that in terms of my experience it is a step backwards. Big, heavy. There is nothing that this phones does better for me. People talk about OLED and even though it is nice, it is really nothing special.
    All in all, wasted money. It is nicer to reach out to 6s. Can use it with 1 hand. You do not notice, do not make it an effort to use it. It is just there.

2. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Smartphones have reached maturity. An iPhone 6s does the same things as the new iPhones. Next evolution is foldable screens.

3. scottcampbell macrumors regular

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

It's important to remember that contentment is a virtue. :)

4. Lyn2012 macrumors 6502

I’m the opposite, happy to have sold my 6S as the screen and keyboard were too narrow. I do like the Max, although I’d happily lose a cm or so from the height as I prefer 16:9 ratio screens, and LCD if I’m honest.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

6. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

7. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

These are just useless posts that show what an utterly disconnected species we have become because of these devices.

Use your 6S, get an XS, whatever but get on with life and not spread misery.

8. Detonation macrumors member

Detonation

Sounds like you should have waited for the XR

9. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

To each his/her own.

10. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Love my 6s. I’m content. I’ve lost the urge to keep upgrading. That’s a good thing.

11. xrussx macrumors member

I think the difference is night and day. The screen alone.

12. Gudi macrumors 68030

Gudi

Phablets are awful, thanks for noticing it (four years late).

13. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I'm curious why the the OP didn't go that route. Or maybe they plan to now, depending on when they purchased the Max.

14. sputnikBA macrumors 6502

@Kulfon can I ask why you went the Max route instead of the regular XS if one handed use was important? Is it not too late for you to return it and get the regular one — for once Apple has finally had two models where they are pretty much the same functionally except for screen/battery.

15. BeeGood, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

My wife shares your sentiment. She doesn’t see the value in incrementally improved tech.

I’m glad people like you exist. If you didn’t, there wouldn’t be a market for me to sell my old phones.

16. PPopMatt macrumors newbie

PPopMatt

Same here. I got the XS on day one. $1600 with Tax and Apple Care!!!!!!!

... It is waaay heavier and doesn't do ANYTHING (except measure stuff...) than my old phone did! I have 2 iP6 and they were/are just fine - after the iOs11/battery fiasco was finally fixed. It is also clumsy and I've missed my pocket 2x. I'm glad I bought the full Apple Care because I think this will need it!!

Note, i rationalized buying the XS because of the "GREAT CAMERA" and that I waited since 2015.. Yes the camera is a little better, but I took pictures on the beach zoomed in of people distant and the pics had horrible halos and artifacts.

I guess I'll have to use my rare mad purchase of my Canon G7X for any decent photography beyond "better" convenient snaps and realize that this desire game is bs...
    $1,600!!

17. adamgbiggs macrumors 6502

adamgbiggs

My partner still uses a 6 Plus, I tried to talk her into having an Xs Max but she said she’s very happy with her 6 Plus still and don’t want to upgrade, I guess not all of us are tech nerds and need the latest kit.

Me on the other hand, I love my new iPhone Xs and so happy with the upgrade from my 2 year old i7.

Adam.

18. SeilerBird macrumors 6502

SeilerBird

There never has been an iPhone that was worth the money. Apple is the richest company on the planet with a massive surplus of cash. They charge the highest prices imaginable and the sheep keep lining up to pay it.

19. littlemidge macrumors member

littlemidge

Went from an 8, to an Xs. Couldn’t be happier :) love my iPhone !

20. Koobs macrumors 6502

Koobs

You lost me at a step backwards.

21. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

In my opinion, the iPhone SE was well worth the money. $150 for 64GB no-contract to be in the iOS ecosystem is a steal.

The way things are now, specs and capabilities are not what will sell going forward but how much is one willing to pay to remain in that ecosystem? If the iPhone XI has a notch on each side and starting price is $1500, there will be many who buy it simply because they need a new iPhone to remain with iOS.

22. LeeW macrumors 6502a

LeeW

But you could have established that without buying a new phone.

23. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

How could you sell your used phone to a person like him? He was still using his 6s that I assume he bought new since he said he'd been using it for 3 years.

24. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Of course you're smarter than the rest of us.:rolleyes: (Still on 7 plus)

25. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Ever since last year, when iPhone hit the $1000 mark, people's interest in purchasing the latest phones have declined. Visually, I don't see a lot of people, at my gym, on the streets, at work, with an X. Generally, I see people holding onto their 6's and 7's - it does get the job done.