iPhone XS Max New iPhones: not worth it

Kulfon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
I know this is just an opinion of one man. I was using 6s for 3 years. Now I have Max. I have to say that in terms of my experience it is a step backwards. Big, heavy. There is nothing that this phones does better for me. People talk about OLED and even though it is nice, it is really nothing special.
All in all, wasted money. It is nicer to reach out to 6s. Can use it with 1 hand. You do not notice, do not make it an effort to use it. It is just there.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I know this is just an opinion of one man. I was using 6s for 3 years. Now I have Max. I have to say that in terms of my experience it is a step backwards. Big, heavy. There is nothing that this phones does better for me. People talk about OLED and even though it is nice, it is really nothing special.
All in all, wasted money. It is nicer to reach out to 6s. Can use it with 1 hand. You do not notice, do not make it an effort to use it. It is just there.
Smartphones have reached maturity. An iPhone 6s does the same things as the new iPhones. Next evolution is foldable screens.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I’m the opposite, happy to have sold my 6S as the screen and keyboard were too narrow. I do like the Max, although I’d happily lose a cm or so from the height as I prefer 16:9 ratio screens, and LCD if I’m honest.

Reactions: Nhwhazup

Detonation

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
I’m the opposite, happy to have sold my 6S as the screen and keyboard were too narrow. I do like the Max, although I’d happily lose a cm or so from the height as I prefer 16:9 ratio screens, and LCD if I’m honest.
Sounds like you should have waited for the XR

Reactions: gtmac and Gudi

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
To each his/her own.

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
@Kulfon can I ask why you went the Max route instead of the regular XS if one handed use was important? Is it not too late for you to return it and get the regular one — for once Apple has finally had two models where they are pretty much the same functionally except for screen/battery.

PPopMatt

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2015
California
Same here. I got the XS on day one. $1600 with Tax and Apple Care!!!!!!!

... It is waaay heavier and doesn't do ANYTHING (except measure stuff...) than my old phone did! I have 2 iP6 and they were/are just fine - after the iOs11/battery fiasco was finally fixed. It is also clumsy and I've missed my pocket 2x. I'm glad I bought the full Apple Care because I think this will need it!!

Note, i rationalized buying the XS because of the "GREAT CAMERA" and that I waited since 2015.. Yes the camera is a little better, but I took pictures on the beach zoomed in of people distant and the pics had horrible halos and artifacts.

I guess I'll have to use my rare mad purchase of my Canon G7X for any decent photography beyond "better" convenient snaps and realize that this desire game is bs...
$1,600!!

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2013
UK
My partner still uses a 6 Plus, I tried to talk her into having an Xs Max but she said she’s very happy with her 6 Plus still and don’t want to upgrade, I guess not all of us are tech nerds and need the latest kit.

Me on the other hand, I love my new iPhone Xs and so happy with the upgrade from my 2 year old i7.

Adam.

Reactions: BeeGood

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
There never has been an iPhone that was worth the money. Apple is the richest company on the planet with a massive surplus of cash. They charge the highest prices imaginable and the sheep keep lining up to pay it.

Reactions: rbrian

Koobs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
You lost me at a step backwards.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
There never has been an iPhone that was worth the money. Apple is the richest company on the planet with a massive surplus of cash. They charge the highest prices imaginable and the sheep keep lining up to pay it.
In my opinion, the iPhone SE was well worth the money. $150 for 64GB no-contract to be in the iOS ecosystem is a steal.

The way things are now, specs and capabilities are not what will sell going forward but how much is one willing to pay to remain in that ecosystem? If the iPhone XI has a notch on each side and starting price is $1500, there will be many who buy it simply because they need a new iPhone to remain with iOS.

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Of course you're smarter than the rest of us.:rolleyes: (Still on 7 plus)

Reactions: KUKitch

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Ever since last year, when iPhone hit the $1000 mark, people's interest in purchasing the latest phones have declined. Visually, I don't see a lot of people, at my gym, on the streets, at work, with an X. Generally, I see people holding onto their 6's and 7's - it does get the job done.

Reactions: rbrian and Broadus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.