Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaemes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
hey everyone - i haven't forgotten about you! the ipod dissassembly tools should be here around sep. 19th - 23rd. i'll have an update as soon as i get them in the mail!

ducatidoc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
hey everyone - i haven't forgotten about you! the ipod dissassembly tools should be here around sep. 19th - 23rd. i'll have an update as soon as i get them in the mail!

yah, chomping at the bit to find out how it works out... best of luck!!

ps - post pics as you go, would be MUY helpful for those of us trying to follow in your footsteps

yaemes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
i plan on putting the 80 GB drive from the Air, so i'd have a 80 gb ipod and 120 gb Air... so no butter knife... although i may eventually have to resort to that. disassembly does involve a putty knife. (got two of those already)

i have taken pics of the air with instructions on how to remove the HD. i'll post them today but right now im at school :p

yaemes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
I AM 3/4 DONE WITH IT!!!!

I am so excited, i'll post super soon!!!!

yaemes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
got it back together, it didnt work, took it apart and put the 80 gig back in, worked just fine, then i put the 120 back in and it actually detected it but could not format because of an i/o error. still trying.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
got it back together, it didnt work, took it apart and put the 80 gig back in, worked just fine, then i put the 120 back in and it actually detected it but could not format because of an i/o error. still trying.

Thats too bad. I hope it works out. Pictures please...

yaemes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
the drive will not format (i/o error) but it seems to be zero-ing out the disk just fine, 30 mins left till its done. fingers crossed.

yaemes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
word of warning: you do not need ipod dissassembly tools. they don't even help.......

5 mins left till the drive is zeroed out.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
word of warning: you do not need ipod dissassembly tools. they don't even help.......

5 mins left till the drive is zeroed out.

I've been wanting to open my 5th gen iPod for fun, but don't want to risk bending the casing. What did you use the open the ipod? picture of the tool is a +.

yaemes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
one chisel, two putty knives, and a hammer

it is impossible not to scuff it up substantially so do this only if you absolutely have to

i'll post pics when i get it to work, otherwise itd just be wasted effort

yaemes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
oh and same i/o error, booting into Ubuntu to try and format the disk there.

yaemes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
epic fail, ubuntu had trouble formatting it too

i put the 120 back in the ipod then formatted it on my other mac with disk utility, transfered it back to the air, and then the same error.

please does anyone know what input/output error means?

yaemes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
wonderful. just great. now the original 80gb doesnt work.....

i have a broken MBA now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.