Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

234140-new-nano_425.jpg

Digg.com's Kevin Rose has posted a new blog entry claiming to have knowledge of upcoming iPod updates with a significant number of details:

- Revamp of entire iPod line.
- Small cosmetic changes to Touch, Nano to see significant redesign (see above)
- iPods to see fairly large price drops to distance itself from the $199 iPhone.
- iPod touch 2.1 software, iPhone to get update very soon after.
- iTunes 8.0 ("it's a big update w/new features").
- All of this coming in the next 2-3 weeks.

See Video

Rose has been the source of a number of Apple related rumors over the years with his most recent claims having some accuracy.

Article Link

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
if it comes in the next 2-3 weeks, that's before the end of the back-to-school promotion...

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
When will iTunes become JUST for 'tunes' ?? Its bloated, ram hogging CRAP, and not all of us have or even want an ipod, iphone, itouch, itv, etc.

Can they just just release an mp3 ONLY application?

a1016neo

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
I'm not going to judge the design yet, but if this is true.... this redesign looks sweet... I hope it has a glass screen!

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
if it comes in the next 2-3 weeks, that's before the end of the back-to-school promotion...

As it's been noted before on many threads, they have released new product during the back to school promo so that doesn't mean anything, I don't think they will, but it is possible, but if it looks like that...which i highly doubt, I think I'll be holding on to my cash

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
That doesn't really look like a new Nano to me, it just seems too quasi-futuristic for Apple. I can see Blu-Ray support coming in Snow Leopard, but I can't see what revolutionary feature will be added to iTunes in version 8.

Aznsensation45

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
idk...

sounds good...except that the picture of the supposedly new nano looks sorta alien-ish...don't like it.

davak

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
New iTunes Features?

I am trying to think what new iTunes features I would want. Plus, all of those features would have to be extended to new OS rollouts for Apple TV, iPod, iPhone, etc.

Tags on iTunes would be nice... but I can't see that getting passed down to all the hardware any time soon.

Any ideas for new iTunes features?

I can think of a ton of bug fixes.... but enough features for a new version?

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
i bet it is. the nano is following the macbook air design with stylish curve. i dont like it though. but the macbook air is awesome.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
When will iTunes become JUST for 'tunes' ?? Its bloated, ram hogging CRAP, and not all of us have or even want an ipod, iphone, itouch, itv, etc.

Can they just just release an mp3 ONLY application?

Are you talking about the windows version? iTunes on my iMac is only using 32mb of ram after running all day. I only have a 10gb library, and a few playlists, but I dont know if that really effects the ram usage much.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
I agree with above...

Please turn iTunes back into itself, ive had enough with this whole Mac OS in a bottle thing we call itunes recently. more than anything though, please please please, separate the movies and TV shows. call it cinema or iMovieAV. anyway,

wpc33

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Puh-lease.

A curved screen? What is this, 1989?? Next, a fake woodgrain finish!

The fool who shopped that trainwreck also neglected to have the controls in the same direction/viewing angle as the screen.

MacGohil

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Auckland, NZ
Now we are talking!

Well, I wont be going back to iPod having owned an iPhone for more than a year now but guess this brings some excitement to the folks hanging in to buy a new iPod.

That said, hearing about the new iTunes features and Blue-ray support brought me almost to the edge of my seat. It would be a dream come true if I see B-Ray support in those MBP's plus iPhone like glass touch pad! :D:apple:

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

they released the current ipods during the back to school promotion last year, but only the old ones were eligible, so that doesn't prove anything.

How much can they cut prices on the ipods? Maybe the low-end nano goes to $100 and the high-end to $150? The touch to 150/200/250? The classic (if it survives) goes to $200 and $300? And the shuffle stays where it is? how much more drastic could the cuts be?

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
I don't have any good ideas for new additions to iTunes, but I'm sure Apple came up with something great. I would welcome a way to keep classical music organized a little easier.

ztigerpaw

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008
I hate iTunes 7. I'd go back to 6 but to much is relied on 7 including the iPod Touch.

Can't wait to see how this goes.

peter32892

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2006
they released the current ipods during the back to school promotion last year, but only the old ones were eligible, so that doesn't prove anything.

How much can they cut prices on the ipods? Maybe the low-end nano goes to $100 and the high-end to $150? The touch to 150/200/250? The classic (if it survives) goes to $200 and $300? And the shuffle stays where it is? how much more drastic could the cuts be?

I was also thinking around those prices, also don't hate on the nano it isn't a good picture of it will most likely turn out to be very cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.