New iPod release date?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Sensfan67, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Sensfan67 macrumors member

I couldn't help noticing on the iTMS there was an ad for students buying a Mac, and getting an iPod Nano for free. The offer expired on 9/16. Rumor has September for new iPods, so the 17th? Maybe. I wasn't sure, just looking to let everyone know. But, if they do come out then, I'm a genius!

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

In the past Apple has released new products after their offers end. They did it last year I believe. It's certainly plausible.

3. ds252 macrumors regular

Not quite a genius because everyone on this forum knows about the offer and knows when it ends and knows that 17th is a possibility even though not very likely because the paris expo is the next week.

Just to review, you aren't a genius and you aren't letting everyone know.

DS

4. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

gosh....dont be that harsh...hahaha. maybe he hasnt read the boards in awhile. but on another note.....yes that seems very possible. i cant wait for the new iPod it better have been worth the wait...2 years has it been(not including 5.5 G) i cant wait!!!! :)

5. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

6. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

You're a genius ;)

7. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but you're an ******* teenager. (Wow, I didn't realize MacRumors censored. Sorry admins)!

I don't think much will happen at Paris Expo. I bet there will be a SE on the 11th of September.

-=|Mgkwho

8. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

God if I had a dollar for every time this topic was brought up... :rolleyes:

9. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I personally think the iPod hardware "refresh" will occur on September 18, 2007. :) I do think we'll see the following:

iPod shuffle--no hardware changes externally, but there will now be a 2 GB model in addition to a 1 GB model. 1 GB will now cost US$70 and 2 GB model will cost US$100.

iPod nano--no hardware changes externally, but 2 GB model dropped, 4 GB model in silver case becomes low end model, 8 GB model becomes "mainstream" model with up to ten different color cases, and new 16 GB model in black and red case only. Prices will be lowered (US$150 for 4 GB, US$200 for 8 GB, and US$250 for 16 GB).

iPod nano video--new model that looks like a 2G nano "writ large" with wider case (but same sized Click Wheel) that accommodates a display almost as large as the 5.5G iPod so it can play back videos. It will be available in 8 GB and 16 GB flash memory storage versions in five different color cases. Cost will be US$250 for 8 GB model and US$299 for 16 GB model.

6G iPod video--all new model in a case about the same size as 5.5G iPod that uses a fullscreen display with touchscreen interface. It will be available with 80 GB and 120 GB hard disk storage. Cost will be US$350 for 80 GB model and US$399 for 120 GB model.

10. Nemisis macrumors member

11. sanford macrumors 65816

I doubt it will be, but me to. I want one of the new high-end, full-sized HDD iPods to replace my 5G -- whatever they turn out to be; I'm not hung up on WiFi or PDA-like features; I'd get an iPhone if I was.

12. Matteh117 macrumors regular

Er, even though they might not even release any new iPods, I'm going with the Expo date.

Will be putting some money to the side just in case anyway (that is ofcourse, unless it looks like the "leaked" nano). ;)

13. homeboy macrumors 6502

Forget about new iPod before the 16th because that's when the back to school promo ends. 2 weeks two days after that is the Mac Expo and it would be a waste to have two presentations within two weeks.

With that being said, we won't see new iPods until the expo.

14. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Since macrumors just posted a new date of September 5th, I think an announcement will be made on that day, shipping September 18th. I just hope the MacPro is September 25th or in October with Leopard.

15. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Regarding the Back To School promotion...Doesn't it specify what model iPods are included (aka, :apple: part numbers that are eligible)? So, if there truly is an event on 9/5 with new models, they would be excluded from that promo?

I'm being hopeful and impatient for new iPods! :D:p

16. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

The sooner the better. This thing has been delayed way too long. There is no reason to delay the shipping, no one has any stock as it is, that would be foolish. They've been sitting on this for a year already, hopefully they'll have packed in enough goodies to make it worth the wait. It could be that Toshiba's coinkidink announcement may have happened now because Apple had previously tied up all of their production for manufacturing to release in about a week and a half.

160 Gig Full Touchscreen, coming up!

17. bjbyers macrumors newbie

Why couldnt they pack in this storage in iphone?

I hope you are right on the new ipod video and 120gb, but as much as I love my iphone I wish I had not sold my 80GB ipod because my iphone cant hold my library. I buy a lot from itunes, even movies and have to pick and choose what I want on my iphone because the storage is pathetic. I hope there is a new iphone for xmas, and really wish Apple had put this kind of storage in the iphone.

18. Nemisis macrumors member

To me, it seems that the mid-September date is the most likely, with the 9/5 event going on. I have to spend my money on the new Halo game on the 25, which isn't going to be cheap...I have it comes out long before that!

19. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i don't want to come across as an arse, but you do know that 8GB is 8GB, regardless of what device its in, don't you?

20. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Rumors now suggest that the new iPod will be released sometime between September 11 to September 23. I hope it is really soon cause I'm getting anxious.

Prof. :apple:

21. sanford macrumors 65816

I'm thinking about buying an iPhone -- today if my wife doesn't catch me while I'm we're at the mall buying the kids' school clothes -- and I *am not* selling my 30GB video iPod. (Went for the 30 instead of I think 60 at the time because the 30 was just too thin to pass up but still enough capacity; plus I run at about 8GB open even though I buy new music and occasionally video -- I don't mind swapping out movies or TV rather than carry it all -- from iTunes, as at the time I also moved many GBs of my iTunes library off to a back-up HDD at the end of a somewhat embarrassing but ultimately benign house music phase.)

Anyway, I am not selling. Two reasons: extra capacity for when I want to carry the whole library, and video out. I had the 30GB engraved with my kids names, partly out of sentimentality, partly to keep me from constantly ditching the old iPod for the newest one every 5 minutes, because the engraved one would matter on a more emotional level. Well, the trick work. When I get my iPhone, I will have zero temptation to sell the 30GB video iPod.

Only question for me now is get the 4GB or 8GB iPhone, as if I'm going to be swapping out anyway, does the extra 4GB really matter? I figure the 3.2 GB available in the 4GB model, with some photos, e-mails, etc., should still hold 20 - 25 albums, even at iTunes+ bit-rate, one feature-length movie, or a couple of "hour" long -- more like 42 minutes without the commercials -- TV shows. That sound about right? Or should I pay $100 extra for double the storage -- bearing in mind of course, I'll have to swap anyway, and I'll still have a 30GB video iPod. Seriously, advise away. A 100 bucks is more than you think, as those of you who have starting basketball squads for families can attest.

22. homeboy macrumors 6502

Hundred bucks is serious cash but when you're buying such an expensive phone and signing up for a new contract specifically for the phone $100 isn't really a lot. Further more those extra GB will come in handy when you start filling the device up with movies and music. Further more there might be new upgrades in the near future introducing games and other software to the iPhone.

In the long run it's really worth buying the 8GB since you will never be able to upgrade. So while you're at it you might as well buy the best a man can get.

23. sanford macrumors 65816

Thanks. That's what I'm going to do; makes sense. I didn't think, too, that if they come up with a few software apps or upgrades that creep up around 100MB then that's boom! 10 - 20 songs lost right there. Since the contract is two years, and I'll probably keep this thing for at least 3 years -- 2G vs. 3G doesn't bother me because I'll mostly be on WiFi -- to prorate that extra $100 to make it a fully viable iPod, the $100 doesn't work out to too much over 3 years.

Appreciate it. Well, I guess I'm officially out of the market for an iPod touch. I'll keep my 30GB video iPod as my full-capacity, video-out capable workhorse.

24. homeboy macrumors 6502

Good! I also forgot to mention that in the future it will be able to download and save content on the iPhone from the net. Further more you might want to use some of the space on the iPhone for backup or to save a huge file you want to be moved to another computer. So extra space is always good to have in hand.

iPhone + iPod 30GB sounds like a good combo to me.

25. mrpither macrumors member

mrpither

ding ding ding - we have a winner

i've got an apple store coupon that expires at the end of september, so i'm pretty sure they will wait until october to release the new ipods just to mess with me... ;)