New iPod Touch Back Sctrached Already!?! WTF?!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MagicalAquaX, Sep 18, 2010.

1. MagicalAquaX macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I recently bought the new iPod touch duty free at an airport. I didn't use it until I got a case for it.
    I bought a sillicon case that same with a screen protector. I was planning to get an InvisibleSheild, but thought the case would be okay until I can get one.
    After I put on the screen protector, I turned my iPod over to clean the fi gerprints off the back before putting the case on it.
    When I turned it over, I noticed a large area of light scratches near the top underneath the camera. I was, and still am, really pissed.

I don't understand HOW it can be scratched already. It was sitting on the piece of plastic it sits in when in the box.

Soo, my questions are; is the anyway to remove the scratches?
    Can I get a replacement for scratches or not?

I am seriously REALLY pissed off.

Thanks, MagicalAquaX.

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Nope.Don't worry about the scratches. after all, the screen is on the front. That used to bother me and trust me, i'm pretty anal about that sort of stuff but i just fessed up and said whatever. screen's on the front. That's the part that i use and the back is simply been that way from the beginning of the iPod. I believe it has something to do with the margins apple receives from the makers of cases. So, if you are looking for a ipod that won't scratch, you are in the wrong universe.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like you scratched it. Grow a pair and deal with it... :rolleyes:

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Got it Thursday. Mine is still mint with no case on front or back. Zero scratch. :p

5. ct95 macrumors regular

Mine scratched about 5 minutes after i opened the box. Doesn't concern me.

6. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Anyone with previous iPod experience would know the fragility of the metal's shine. A case should be put on immediately after opening, or the slightest bump (practically with the air's oxygen atoms) will scratch it.

If you want a compromise that protects it and allows you to keep "shinin'," buy a clear film enclosure.

7. HunterGather macrumors member

As this is the 4th ipod in total i've owned, i've grown to accept that the shiny new backside of an ipod will only stay that way for less than a week.
    I got the new ipod touch and it already has a few scratches on the back, and I'm fine with it.

I prefer my ipods without cases, but with all my ipods, the screens stayed pretty much perfectly fine. If there are any big scratches or etches, it certainly can't be seen once the display is on (that goes for older ipods and touches).

8. adamran macrumors member

Your right to be bothered, a scratched backside is going to lower the resale value if anything.

9. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

I've been holding mine in the black microfiber cloth that came with my iMac and so far, no scratches. Bought it Sept. 8th. Still waiting on a simple, cheap black silicone case...

10. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Does it have any problems? (clicking, light leak, etc) Then get a replacement from the apple store. Or the store you bought from may give
    You a new one if it had a scratch from the box. I'd make that an excuse for a new one. :D

11. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

All of the iPods with the chrome back scratch with out touching it. It sucks, but it doesn't bother me too much. I already have like 4 nice scratches on mine from using it in my hand and placing it on a blanket. I ordered a Ghost Armor for it.

12. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Other than cosmetically, does it make your experience with the iPod less enjoyable? Probably not, and since you'll bury it in a case anyways, it doesn't matter.

There are people starving in Africa ;)

13. zerocustom1989 macrumors regular

Take some steel wool and just make it consistent.

14. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

There are some nice tutorials on making a brushed steel back out of the chrome one. Te results look awsome! Might even make a case redundant.

One day I'll eventually try...

15. mchad macrumors member

are you joking? there is no way to prove you didn't scratch it

16. traxxasthomas macrumors member

He did not scratch it. Give the guy a break. Alot of us feel the same way about paying $220-$400 and haveing strachs on the back COME ON APPLE:apple:

17. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

How do you know he didn't scratch it ?

18. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Fantastic idea. Special edition iPod Touch. :rolleyes:

Honestly, it's always been like this. It shouldn't be that huge of a deal, it would have got scratched soon enough.

19. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

20. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

scratches on touch backs are inevitable. live with it or don't buy touchs again. my 2G touch scratched just from sliding it in and out of a leather folio case that has a microfiber cloth as a liner (because the touch fit too loosely in the case and easily fell out w/o the liner). the scratches don't bother me as I don't sit there and stare at the BACK of the touch. I'm just not that anal!

21. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

No, every iPod has scratches, it is inevitable, though now that you have them you actually get to use your iPod without treating it like a baby – or at least for me that is the case.

Wouldn't it be nice if it was made like Macs with the nice brushed aluminum!? Oh well. :apple:

22. traxxasthomas macrumors member

i do not BUT why would he take the time to post a forum about the same thing other peaple have had.

GET IT?:D:D:D

23. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

An iPod touch scratches just by looking at it wrong. There's nothing you can do to prevent it. Just accept that it's scratched and move on from there.

24. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

My wife has a 1st gen iPod Touch and I did this to hers and it looks awesome. Be sure to protect any of the plastic areas and especially the camera with electrical tape. Also be sure when using the Scotchbrite Pad only go up and down with it over and over until you get the look you desire.

25. gta50419 macrumors 6502

mines had 2 scratches the 2nd day i had mine..never put it in my pocket and never dropped it either it just scratched for no reason...i've even read that some people ipods that came scratched, they really scratch by themselves (seriously)

i just hope the back camera glass in non scratch-able. taking a vid with a scratch in the middle of it would be b.s