New iPod touch leaked by Best Buy (?)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 11800506, Sep 1, 2008.

1. 11800506 macrumors 65816

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

IMO best buy wouldn't have such knowledge to put on their fliers even if they wanted to.

3. 11800506 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's is true ^^.

It could just be an iPhone used in the ad instead of an iPod touch though but why would Best Buy have any reason to do that? Regardless it is strange.

4. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

different lighting maybe?

but its not an iphone, because the earpiece (or whatever you call the thing you put to your ear) would be there. unless they took the time to photoshop it out...

5. xenaki macrumors member

xenaki

This best buy ad was from the end of July. There's no way Best Buy would have access to new iPod touches that far in advance. Its definitely not an iPhone image though cause there is no ear speaker.

6. 11800506 thread starter macrumors 65816

So an iPhone is ruled out unless they photoshopped, but they likely didn't get images from Apple... This is really weird then

7. Stuart in Oz macrumors 6502

It's probably just someone in the advertising dept at Best Buy used an iPhone image instead, thinking that they were close enough.

I used to work at Harvey Norman, the Australian Equivalent of Best Buy, and one of my mates had exactly that job. He used to sit in his cubicle for 8 hours a day with a list of the products that were going to appear in the next catalogue/flyer. It was his job to spend all day on the phone/internet trying to get images of the products that were good enough to publish.

Ring manufacturer, get no help, search web, give up, have coffee, ring manufacturer again. Etc, etc, etc. All day, five days a week.

It's a terrible job and if you had an iPhone image already, you'd use it too. Near enough is good enough!

8. 11800506 thread starter macrumors 65816

If you look close enough though you can see as some one else mentioned that they isn't a cutout for an earpiece so it can't be an iPhone unless they photoshopped it. Also, if you look in the top corner of it you can faintly make out that the text probably looks like the Wifi symbol and "iPod" since it isn't long enough to have the bars, etc for the iPhone.

9. brendanspah764 macrumors regular

brendanspah764

I saw this on Engadget also, and I really don't know wether I should believe or not. We are getting close to the iPod refresh. I think the border will stay black, so it would not look too much like the iPhone.

10. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

Very true

11. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

OMG i hope this is not true because accordingly, a 8GB touch will be sold at 299$ again :(

12. Discostu7 macrumors member

i think its the new ipod touch. Carefully look at the home screen button. Notice how it's actually touching the grey area on the ipod. On the 1st generation Ipod touch there is a few centimeters between the button and the darker grey on the 1st generation touch. The image on best buy's ad clearly doesn't have that space.

I say Best Buy accidentally leaked it.

View the difference for yourself on Apple's Web Site
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch?mco=MjQ3MTY

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I would love to take that literally and Photoshop it, it'd make for a very tall Touch :)

14. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

sayin that there is like a strip of a lighter black over were the ear piece would be so it could be a bad photoshop job

talking out your backside, why would best buy of all people be the first to get a screenshot of the new ipod when theres been nothing but rumours about the new ipod so far?

apple are secretive about there new stuff and well come on they would do everythin in their powers to make sure they were the first to show off the new product

15. henchosbandito macrumors member

im almost certain there was a thread using this picture a little while ago when people thought best buy had leaked the iphone 3G. I highly doubt that Apple will release a new ipod touch with only 8gb memory and still charge $299. More likely they will get rid of 8gb and introduce a higher capacity one, while reducing the price down the range.

Best Buy would not have these pictures yet. It would make no marketing or common sense for Apple to send Best Buy these pictures this early - the chances of a leak are almost certain

16. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Not as much as you think. Haven't you seen the images of Nano cases floating around? If there is anyone who doesn't know exactly what a new Nano will look like they must be hiding in a cave.

I think the current Touch shape will remain the same. There would have been similar leaks of cases for a new shape if a new shaped Touch was on the way. The only case image I've seen differs only with an antenna cut-out on the top right front. This could be for GPS reception, Bluetooth transmission/reception, or simply improves wifi by adding 802.11N.

17. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

18. GraceWu macrumors newbie

19. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Bad Photoshop job.

Wasent it best buy that also showed that purple iPod nano picture, too?

20. reubs macrumors 68000

21. sportfan6197 macrumors newbie

does anyone notice the camera icon on the springboard? could it be?

22. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I cant see any camera icon... And Apple would NEVER put a camera on the iPod touch, and it certainly cant be a new iPhone... Unless its the iPhone nano!

23. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

No. It's the Photos application just a bit discolored.

24. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

25. needmckenzy macrumors newbie

new gen of shuffle :D
    have anyone contacted to the seller?