New iPod Touch release in September

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by James McAulay, Aug 2, 2009.

1. James McAulay macrumors newbie

I've seen the rumours, and the cases that include space for a camera, but apart from the added mic and camera, does anyone know what else will come to the new Touch? More memory, a mic and a camera? Is that it?

2. beg_ne macrumors 6502

There hasn't been much news/rumors.

But other than hopefully adding a camera and built-in mic the storage capacity will probably double, per Apple's MO.

With a little luck we'll get the much beefier iPhone 3GS hardware bumps too.

3. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

*Crosses fingers* :confused:

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I would say a few people at Apple would know. WE couldn't possibly know anything more than you, however.

Speculating, I would say the newer hardware is an absolute given. Keep the product moving forward. In fact, I would wager that the convergence of the iPhone and iPod touch will continue. It may even gain a GPS.

5. James McAulay thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, getting a speed boost similar to that of the 3GS would be a nice surprise. Releasing a white version would also make me a very happy chappy.

6. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

I don't get how a GPS would work unless you were constantly connected to WiFi hotspots.

7. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yeah..But :apple: has been known to pull some pretty amazing things off! But I doubt the GPS in this version..

8. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That was my first thought, but since google maps doesn't store the maps locally, it'd be useless without an internet connection. You'd just get your latitude and longtitude, but no map. Could work with third party apps that do store maps locally, though. Or they could modify google maps to let you store maps locally?

10. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

yah if they add more space there would be more space to save the maps locally. Like put in a larger than 32gb memory and sell it as 32gb cause the maps take up some decent space i would imagine.

11. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yeah, it would be a cool feature where you could download maps..:D

12. A N G E L macrumors member

A N G E L

Agreed. Apple has been known to pull off some great things, but it's highly doubtful that they would add GPS.

1. You would need a constant WiFi connection. Not happening while you're driving.
    2. Even if you could store maps locally, what's gonna be tracking your every move while you go down the streets and freeways? Nothing.
    3. A GPS receiver? Won't happen, unless they make the iPod touch expensive for that large one-time fee. Other than that, I doubt Apple would want to launch a satellite just so they can provide a GPS service to people, or pay to use the USA's current satellite. Apple isn't about GPS services.

13. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

The GPS chip in the Iphone 3GS costs $2.25, you don't pay anything to use the satellites to track your position. Its how all the other GPS systems work(Tom Tom, Navair, Garmin, etc).
    -Tig

14. pavenger macrumors regular

I'm just going assume that we all realize that he/she has no idea how GPS works, and that we will all just ignore this post.

15. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hey, take it easy. We're just talking and dreaming about what we think the iPod Touch features could be. I am not going to ignore someone who may or may not know about something. :)

16. pavenger macrumors regular

Yeah I get a little annoyed when people start going off on "the Truth" when they don't know what they are talking about. But yes, GPS would be nice. Will Apple do it? Probably not in my opinion. For now. If I was to make a wild guess to why I think that, I could imagine that getting the maps preloaded from a company such as google, TomTom or Garmin would be a little too much for them since in the past, they seem to like to be as self-sufficient as possible. Not to say that it would be hard to do all that... But to me, the way apple seems to work is that they like to have big features ready on release date.

who knows though, they could have something up their sleeves. I would like to be amazed this time around. More memory and an external volume toggle is cool, but i feel like we don't get "wowed" as much in the last couple years

17. ipodtouch3g macrumors newbie

i think the ipod touch will have a 3.2 megapixel camera
    microphone
    3gs ram, speed, and graphics. but the speed will be a little higher because 3gs is underclocked.
    double memory
    same prices
    i dont think gps will be in it this year. i think this year will be all about the camera. i think next year will be the year when gps comes.

18. pavenger macrumors regular

I think you might be exactly right.

19. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

I think that apple would like to keep the ipod touch and iphone as seperate as possible, while having similarities, if that makes sense. :) If the ipod gets too close to the iphone, why would people buy the iphone and pay a minimum of $59 a month? I think this is proven when apple denied the entry of the google voice app and pulled other third party apps for google voice. If the ipod touch was given that, it would be too close to the iphone. Also, if city wide wifi, like that in Atlanta via clear wireless for $20 a month became the norm ,and gps, and google voice apps came to the ipod, along with the camera, why buy an iphone? I understand some users need the iphone for certain reasons, but i do think that at some point, apple would have to stop likening both devices. I hope that makes sense.

20. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Me thoughts exactly.

21. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

because some people like PHONES. so the touch wouldn't suffice.

22. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

...Until they come out with the internet phone...and phone lines become obsolete because everything will run off the internet. :D

23. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

I realize that, and i said that in my comment. But for people who already have a phone with another carrier, buying an ipod with all those features would save you money by not having to pay penalties to opt out of your contract and the hiked fees for iphone.

24. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

yes, but till 4g speed data becomes free without contract, people will still buy the iphone for things like portability and the ability to browse the web anywhere they want. the touch is nice but doesn't offer things like calling function like the iphone and GRPS functions.

25. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

Yah, but with AT&T, i would hardly say one has the ability to browse anywhere:) But yes, the ipod touch can never be exactly the same as the iphone in some ways. But for someone looking for a music device and already has a phone, why switch when they could get the same features minus the phone with a ipod touch with all of the previously mentioned features. What i am saying is a ipod touch that highly equipped may prevent some people from switching to iphone, which is hardly what apple wants.