new iPod touch: thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Virgil-TB2, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

It's probably a bit early, but there will likely be a new iPod touch coming out before Christmas or maybe even sooner. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or rumours about what features (hardware and software) that it would have and how much it will cost.

Apple doesn't do the "free iPod with laptop" back to school thing unless they are blowing out stock for a refresh so it's almost certain that a new version is in the works.

What will it be like? :)

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'll bet good money that it'll have a multi-touch screen.

3. Virgil-TB2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I was thinking more along the lines of will it have a microphone, speakers, or camera.

4. Kohkane macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking 64gb
    Maybe a black back cover instead of metal..
    eh, no way it'll have a camera..

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Probably none of those. I can't see anything besides a price shift coming where 16GB is 299 and 32 is 399. 64GB is still too expensive.

6. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

100% Agreed. If Apple put speakers or a camera, or both, onto the next revision of iPod touch,
    they basically kill the iPhone and the massive market appeal surrounding it.

R-Fly

7. cjmal macrumors 6502

If I recall correctly, they've done it before without introducing new iPods. I personally think we'll only see a capacity upgrade in the near future.

8. Virgil-TB2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Why is that though? I know it's been the conventional wisdom, but Apple is no longer really selling the iPhone to individuals, the carriers are. Apple will be able to sell them at the same price to AT&T regardless and if you want the "phone" part that would be the only way to get it.

Also, the margins on a touch are likely better than the volume agreements they now have in place with the carriers, no? If Apple undercuts the iPhone with a better touch, wouldn't that only hurt AT&T now?

9. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

There's already new functionality on the way with the software updgrade, and they are unlikely to add more power any time soon because it would complicate app development.

So when upgrades come, they will be in terms of higher capacity and higher battery life.

The battery life is an interesting one, because of the fact that they will likely freeze processing power for quite a while. In a year or 18 months we might be seeing massive battery life on the iPhone and iPod Touch.

10. Kohkane macrumors 6502a

Soo we'll see an iPod touch that'll server food to you :D I cant wait. lol

11. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I doubt it. The original iPod was announced 6 years ago now, and still it's battery life cannot surpass 24 hours
    (which in my personal veiw is poor for a $399+ device). Too many features, too much power consumption.

R-Fly

12. amusiccale macrumors 6502

Well, if the battery life stays the same, I'd be happy with more power. Unless we see something Atom-based entering the lineup, I'd be content with a capacity upgrade or some small form factor changes, like the iPhone's external volume control buttons.

13. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/N45AP Safari/419.3)

all I want in a new revision is a better RES screen. Nothing more that has a chance of happening

14. scialex macrumors newbie

agreed
    one thing i hope for is it to have is something akin to that music sharing feature on the zune. that would be really cool

15. amusiccale macrumors 6502

Perhaps even doing something about the black bars on the end and extending the screen size a little bit. With the same resolution on first/second gen iPhones and the first gen Touches, increased size (more Newton-like?:D) rather than resolution is probably the best we can hope for. Or better display of black values. (note: user would not complain in any way about increased resolution)

16. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Making a Larger more tablet version, running on a cut down version of OS X, apps can be bought through the app store, or loaded on via disc sharing (Stuff Like iWorks and MS Office work on it)

For the current one:
    Kill 8Gb
    16Gb takes 8Gb Price
    32Gb takes 16Gb Price
    64Gb Announced
    More Colours
    Less Scratch sensitive back, but still shiny
    Bluetooth Sync/Headphone support
    Better Battery
    More Powerful

17. Kohkane macrumors 6502a

That sounds possible. :eek: Finally someone who wasn't begging for a camera :D

18. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

But the iPods have got more powerful, added colour, photos, video... as you said, "Too many features, too much power consumption". My whole point was that they most likely will not make the ipod touch and iphone more powerful for quite a while, to stabilise the development platform. This means, as chips get better and better, they will be using less and less of their relative power. So they will be able to make huge gains on battery life.

The iBook G4s made just before the transition to Intel have batteries that last forever, because the processing technology was so far behind the battery technology by that stage.

For 'internet in your pocket' devices, battery life will be one of the most important selling points.

19. BasBreda macrumors newbie

What about Airtunes ?
    Or even better, a full Itunes client on the ipod touch / iphone
    for access to your media files on your network ?

20. whiteness macrumors member

i think its possible to kill iphone...
    apple wont do that
    and 64gb is too expensive for this year

21. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

This is my opinion only ...

While it's sorta true that Apple isn't really selling the iPhone to individuals, it still has Apple's name on it. Regardless of profit margins and such, the iPhone is a huge part of Apple's image. Apple needs the iPhone to sell well in order to maintain the loft stock price. Anything less than hitting the sales targets will crush the stock ... and in the end, the stockholders are who Apple works for.

Apple hasn't always been a good partner (see Motorola, ATI, IBM, etc), but in this situation, Apple needs AT&T as much as AT&T needs Apple. In fact, Apple may need AT&T more. This applies for the US, not sure about the other countries. Apple doesn't want to canibalize iPhone sales since AT&T could just as easily start pushing other phones, thus preventing Apple from meeting targets.

It's somewhat of a symbiotic relationship.

I would continue to expect iPod touches to lag behind iPhones, at least until the iPhone is more established. As such, I see the next touches to have increased memory and perhaps lower prices. Camera is unlikely and GPS is a real longshot.

ft

22. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

The $349 iPod classic with 160 GB of storage supposedly has a battery life of 40 hours with audio-playback.

23. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I cant see them really doing much more with the touch tbh, they will not add any big features to the touch IF they decide to release a new version as this will over shaddow their more important iPhone.

The most I could see them adding is maybe external speakers and bluetooth for headphones. All this talk of camera, multi touch screen, gps etc its all just unrealistic for the touch and will NEVER happen.

24. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Just for those that haven't noticed, the 32GB model is made out of TWO 16GB cards stuck inside the same case.

Not one 32GB chip.

So having a 64GB model may be a bit of a stretch unless Apple uses some really cheap NAND memory, or finds room for four 16GB chips.

25. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

multi touch on an ipod touch will never happen you say?? :eek: