Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aug 11, 2008
And Why Not?

Why wouldn't we see a $199 iPod Touch. There are going to be "big" price drops and besides Apple doesn't care about the price of the touch, they want revenue from the App Store. Steve Jobs has said the software is going to be the future of computing and the iPod Touch is a mini-computer.

-superhamster

P.S. 30 Million dollars in a month from App sales in enough reason for a $199 iPod Touch!

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
Actually iTunes only exists to sell iPods. This has been Apple's strategy since 2001. iTunes as a whole breaks about even. It's nice to bring in revenue from apps, but the reason it's there is to sell hardware, not the other way around.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Why wouldn't we see a $199 iPod Touch. There are going to be "big" price drops and besides Apple doesn't care about the price of the touch, they want revenue from the App Store. Steve Jobs has said the software is going to be the future of computing and the iPod Touch is a mini-computer.

-superhamster

P.S. 30 Million dollars in a month from App sales in enough reason for a $199 iPod Touch!

Actually iTunes only exists to sell iPods. This has been Apple's strategy since 2001. iTunes as a whole breaks about even. It's nice to bring in revenue from apps, but the reason it's there is to sell hardware, not the other way around.

Yes, thats what iTunes was for, and will remain mostly for, but I'm guessing since Apple is making money off the app store, 199 iPods(if they could still pull a profit, admittly small one, since they'd be getting more from App Store) would be do able, although not certain

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
iPod Touch:
~16Gb-199
~32Gb-299
~64GB-399
Nano
~4Gb-99
~8GB-149
~10GB-199
Classic (either going away or:)
~80GB-249
~160GB-349
Shuffle
~2Gb-49
~4Gb-79

Dark K

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
iPod Touch:
~16Gb-199
~32Gb-299
~64GB-399
Nano
~4Gb-99
~8GB-149
~10GB-199
~80GB-249
~160GB-349
Shuffle
~2Gb-49
~4Gb-79

WHOA WHOA, wtf, if Apple sells a freaking 64GB at 400, I swear that all the dudes that bought the 500 32GB will destroy Apple for sure, 400 for a 64GB is VERYYYYYY Cheap.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Why wouldn't we see a $199 iPod Touch. There are going to be "big" price drops
Since you can see the future, what stocks should I buy tomorrow?

and besides Apple doesn't care about the price of the touch, they want revenue from the App Store.
So if everyone spends about $1000 on the App Store, they can come back to the $300 price point. Brilliant, because the App Store is really the huge money maker for them.

/sarcasm

30 million across how many devices? Take 70% away to give to developers, then probably 18-25% for upkeep, and it's not enough for the App Store to justify a price drop...

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
iPod Touch:
~16Gb-199
~32Gb-299
~64GB-399
Nano
~4Gb-99
~8GB-149
~10GB-199
~80GB-249
~160GB-349
Shuffle
~2Gb-49
~4Gb-79

Whoa! This is definitely a fanboy post. Touch prices WAY the hell off. Nano prices and sizes WAY the hell off. And the Classic WON'T go away anytime soon. Losers need to stop posting that bu!!$h!t, it pisses me off only because it's SO shortsighted. I am glad that you didn't post make-believe HDDs sizes, like 250GB or 220GB sizes.

Aug 11, 2008
Conservatively

Okay. I do predict along with all the analysts that there will be a $199 iPod touch. AND DON'T CALL US LOSERS FOR PREDICTING THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-superhamster

There is a 99% change of a $199 iPod Touch.

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Okay. I do predict along with all the analysts that there will be a $199 iPod touch. AND DON'T CALL US LOSERS FOR PREDICTING THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-superhamster

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

$199? Probably too close to the Nano's price range. But $250 is definitely a possibility.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

-superhamster

where do you get your numbers from seriously

Oh, alright I'll pay $250. But, I would prefer to pay $199.

what happened to the 99% chance of a 199 ipt?

Aug 11, 2008
"what happened to the 99% chance of a 199 ipt?" I meant 98% :p

As for where I get my numbers from, it is me. I want a $199 iPod Touch!

-superhamster

ChristopheJD

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
I signed in just to attempt to explain why we won't see $199 iPod Touches.

First of all $199 is pretty low for a flagship iPod model. I'm not saying I hate this price, but I think it's too cheap for a company planning on bringing in a lot of money. The only way to smuggle more money out of that $199 iPod was if people spent a whole lot of money in the App Store, or force you to buy songs from iTunes, and not use any of your current collection. Neither of those possibilities are pretty far from what I can see. The average person probably just buy a few apps here and there, and most likely, the free ones are pretty useful themselves. Second, if Apple were to force you to buy songs from them and not let you use your own collection, the iPod most likely won't be bought.

And while I'm in the middle, superhamster, stop pulling numbers out from nowhere. 99% chance? Seriously? I'm not even in statistics yet and I already know there is no 99% chance in this. I'm not hating your idea, but it is unreasonable. The next part, I'll use numbers, something you are really good at.

Take a look at these statistics:
iSuppli

This is an 8GB iPod Touch and its manufacturing cost. The total cost is $155.04. Of course, these statistics are fairly outdated. I know that flash memory is getting cheaper, but for the heck of it, I'll pull these numbers out of my *tsktsk* just for you, superhamster. We'll say that the 8gb flash memory has been lowered by $20. So now the total for 8gb flash memory is $20. That lowers the total price to $135.04. Now, if Apple were to sell a $199 iPod Touch, it would more than likely be an 8GB model. So, how much profit is this? Around $65? Well, that's a lot for a company that wants to make a profit.

My price point:
8GB - Dropped
16GB - $299 U.S.D.
32 GB - $399 U.S.D.
64 GB - $499 U.S.D.

maximus1315

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
i just dont see how if they dropped the 8GB model, that they would keep the price of the smallest ipod touch the same as what the last model was. i know that your going to say that its the same price for more memory, but the whole point of the price drop is for the ipod touch to come back after the iphone price was chopped down. either their going to keep the 8GB model, and make it cheaper, at 199, or their going to take it out, make the smallest model the 16GB, and make that 199 or at the most 250, because people like me who are never going to use all of 16GB are going to be pissed that the price isnt dropping from the old ipod touch, making the whole point of the price drop totally pointless. therefore the prices are almost sure to be smaller on the smallest ipod model, and i doubt the 8GB will stay, because thats almost not enough for me, and i dont even have a lot of stuff on mine. im definantly thinking that its going to be 199 for the 16GB ipod touch. and why not? the iphone went down like crazy, and that was for a HUGE difference in service, with 3G networks coming in......... and the new ipod touch has been rumored to have only SMALL COSMETIC CHANGES by most sources.

kwk1

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Canada
I signed in just to attempt to explain why we won't see $199 iPod Touches.

First of all $199 is pretty low for a flagship iPod model. I'm not saying I hate this price, but I think it's too cheap for a company planning on bringing in a lot of money. The only way to smuggle more money out of that $199 iPod was if people spent a whole lot of money in the App Store, or force you to buy songs from iTunes, and not use any of your current collection. Neither of those possibilities are pretty far from what I can see. The average person probably just buy a few apps here and there, and most likely, the free ones are pretty useful themselves. Second, if Apple were to force you to buy songs from them and not let you use your own collection, the iPod most likely won't be bought.

And while I'm in the middle, superhamster, stop pulling numbers out from nowhere. 99% chance? Seriously? I'm not even in statistics yet and I already know there is no 99% chance in this. I'm not hating your idea, but it is unreasonable. The next part, I'll use numbers, something you are really good at.

Take a look at these statistics:
iSuppli

This is an 8GB iPod Touch and its manufacturing cost. The total cost is $155.04. Of course, these statistics are fairly outdated. I know that flash memory is getting cheaper, but for the heck of it, I'll pull these numbers out of my *tsktsk* just for you, superhamster. We'll say that the 8gb flash memory has been lowered by $20. So now the total for 8gb flash memory is $20. That lowers the total price to $135.04. Now, if Apple were to sell a $199 iPod Touch, it would more than likely be an 8GB model. So, how much profit is this? Around $65? Well, that's a lot for a company that wants to make a profit.

My price point:
8GB - Dropped
16GB - $299 U.S.D.
32 GB - $399 U.S.D.

64 GB - $499 U.S.D.

I could also see those prices for the new iPods.
i agree with your take on the matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.